PDA

View Full Version : Taking on a nearly 5 year old who is not in school

skatie
25-04-2013, 03:45 PM
I just want to check where I stand legally. I've got a contract for 2 siblings to start with me on Monday, they have just moved from another town. The oldest will be 5 in July and as yet the council have not been able to offer her a reception school place in my town. The siblings have been living with grandparent in other town for last couple of weeks but mum wants them living with her (u derstandably) so she has pulled oldest from school until council give her a school place. Mum has text to ask if I can have both next week until school situation is sorted. My question is would I get into trouble as she is not in school? My thinking is that it's no different if mum had delayed her going to school for another year as she is a July child?

Your thoughts and advice please?

freckleonear
25-04-2013, 04:23 PM
She doesn't legally have to be in education until the term after she turns 5, so September. You won't get into trouble. :)

skatie
25-04-2013, 04:25 PM
She doesn't legally have to be in education until the term after she turns 5, so September. You won't get into trouble. :)

Phew! Thanks for the advice.

muffins
25-04-2013, 04:59 PM
The child will NOT count as a rising 5 though as not in full time school, they will count as an under 5 for ratio purposes!

skatie
25-04-2013, 05:18 PM
The child will NOT count as a rising 5 though as not in full time school, they will count as an under 5 for ratio purposes!

Crumbs! Yes, I didn't think of that, thankfully it would only cause a problem for me on a Weds so I'm sure we can work around it by her mil having them just that day.

muffins
25-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Crumbs! Yes, I didn't think of that, thankfully it would only cause a problem for me on a Weds so I'm sure we can work around it by her mil having them just that day.

:thumbsup:Glad it still works out for you xx