PDA

View Full Version : Lost Digitial media card!

hectors house
25-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Have just had one of the most stressful experiences of my life - day off today - I popped into Boots to get photo printed off for mindees birthday, took my camera with me. Took the XD card out of camera and put in XD slot on kodak machine, it wouldn't go in, so I turned it round and it went right in. Clicked on make photos from media card etc and it came up saying there weren't any photos on the file and to check media card, I pressed card to get it out and it wouldn't come out. I had to go across the shop to another counter to get help and I was worried about leaving card in machine unattended - anyway that was least of my worries!

Lady on another counter said someone would come over and help me in a few mins, so I went back and stood by machine - another lady came over and took front off machine, then took XD slot off and my card wasn't in it, she then checked all the other slots although I was adamant that I put it in XD one, she then virtually took apart the whole machine - :censored:well everything removeable and we still couldn't find it. To start with I was panicking that the photos would be lost then the full implication of loosing the whole card hit me.

I said to her I can't leave the shop until it is found, I am a childminder and have photos of children on this card and am registered with ICO - after half an hour she was getting very cheesed off with me (especially as she should have gone to lunch), she then picked up machine and shook it and we still couldn't find card or hear anything rattling - by this time I was on the floor looking under the counter, under the machine and asking her for a dustpan and brush so I could sweep whole shop (no I am not joking). Then a friend came in and asked if I was ok at which point I burst into tears trying to explain - I demonstrated again how I had put card in and then how it was stuck, I turned round to point across the shop to where I went for help and there on the floor, 5ft away was the :censored::censored: card. At which point I cried again and hugged everyone. I went elsewhere to have photo printed as the machine in Boots is still in lots of pieces - I hope the lady doesn't get the sack - when the coast was clear and she had gone to lunch, I popped back in with some flowers. I don't know how the card got on the floor and I don't care, I am just so relieved to have it back - I wouldn't even have cared if all the photos had been deleted (although not all have been downloaded) I was so glad not to have to tell the parents I had lost a card with photos of their children on.

My lesson learnt is not to take the actual card to Boots, just put photos I want to print on a usb stick - or order on line from snap fish. To download photos more promptly and to delete them off the card once they are downloaded.

Would I have had to notify the ICO if it hadn't turned up?

Still feeling very shakey - trying to revive myself with chocolate - I'm sure it's good for shock.

clareelizabeth1
25-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Oh no. That must of been embarrassing apart from informing parents I don't know if you would have had to inform ico. Glad you got it back.

skatie
25-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Bless you, I can imagine your panic and think I would have cried too! Thank goodness you found it, now I hope you have revived yourself with a good dose of chocolate ;-)

Kirstylob
25-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Poor you, i can imagine the panic and then relief!! I think extra chocolate is needed.x

hectors house
25-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Bless you, I can imagine your panic and think I would have cried too! Thank goodness you found it, now I hope you have revived yourself with a good dose of chocolate ;-)

Chocolate drip feed still on-going - it's going to take a lot more to cheer me up today - just heard that a ex work colleagues husband (young chap) has died of liver cancer - so I guess I should count my blessings, that my experience was scary and embarrassing but not life threatening.

sarah707
25-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Oh no! What a day :(

I would say yes you'd need to inform them that information about a child was lost - but thank goodness it didn't come to that!

Hugs xx

MiniKins
25-04-2013, 06:13 PM
...there on the floor, 5ft away was the :censored::censored: card.

"Bet you were relieved" an understatement?

Strangely, there is no legal obligation to report loss of personal data.

The ICO will however expect you to report 'serious' breaches (unfortunately 'serious' is not defined) and suggest that the overriding consideration should be the 'potential detriment to individuals' ~ detriment being emotional distress as well as both physical and financial damage.

The loss of 'large amounts' of personal data are reportable ~ again it is difficult to be precise about what constitutes a large amount, but the example they give is an unencrypted laptop containing names, addresses, dates of birth and National Insurance Numbers of 100 individuals (not that relevant in this case).

Smaller amounts should be reported if the risk is particularly high, usually that means it includes more sensitive data.

The advice is that if you are unsure whether to report or not, the presumption should be to report.

In my opinion (and this is only my opinion), a series of innocent snap-shots, perhaps of children at play, would not constitute a 'serious breach'. However, if they were identifiable, or for instance combined with personal details such as names, addresses, ages or other information a childminder might hold, then perhaps it might.

My initial procedure is to assess the risk and discuss the loss with parents to assess their degree of emotional distress, probably producing a letter detailing what had happened, provide a space for comments and ask for a signature.

Again, if in doubt seek advice from the ICO.

In any case, following a breach of security you have an obligation to review and update your policies and procedures (your 'breach-management plan') as appropriate.

hectors house
25-04-2013, 06:19 PM
"Bet you were relieved" an understatement?

Strangely, there is no legal obligation to report loss of personal data.

The ICO will however expect you to report 'serious' breaches (unfortunately 'serious' is not defined) and suggest that the overriding consideration should be the 'potential detriment to individuals' ~ detriment being emotional distress as well as both physical and financial damage.

The loss of 'large amounts' of personal data are reportable ~ again it is difficult to be precise about what constitutes a large amount, but the example they give is an unencrypted laptop containing names, addresses, dates of birth and National Insurance Numbers of 100 individuals (not that relevant in this case).

Smaller amounts should be reported if the risk is particularly high, usually that means it includes more sensitive data.

The advice is that if you are unsure whether to report or not, the presumption should be to report.

In my opinion (and this is only my opinion), a series of innocent snap-shots, perhaps of children at play, would not constitute a 'serious breach'. However, if they were identifiable, or for instance combined with personal details such as names, addresses, ages or other information a childminder might hold, then perhaps it might.

My initial procedure is to assess the risk and discuss the loss with parents to assess their degree of emotional distress, probably producing a letter detailing what had happened, provide a space for comments and ask for a signature.

Again, if in doubt seek advice from the ICO.

In any case, following a breach of security you have an obligation to review and update your policies and procedures (your 'breach-management plan') as appropriate.

Thank you for explaining that for me - Yes the photos are obviously just innocent snap shots for observations I definately will be reviewing my policies and being more careful in future - I took the photo and the child's present round and his mum is over the moon with the photo - I didn't explain the saga that went with it!

Rick
25-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Oh dear, don't you just hate it when that happens! How often do you drop something at your feet and it simply disappears! At least you found it! :D

hectors house
25-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Oh dear, don't you just hate it when that happens! How often do you drop something at your feet and it simply disappears! At least you found it! :D

I swear I didn't drop it - it must have ejected itself and thrown itself on the floor when I went to get help - I am practical perfect in everyway (like Mary Poppins) one of the mindees parents tells me so all the time!