PDA

View Full Version : Shifts

sprinkles
25-04-2013, 01:21 PM
I've had an enquiry for August. Mum works full time and dad on shifts so hours will be between 1-4 days per week but could be any days. So could be mon-thurs one week then just Friday the next.

How would you charge? I've said retainer for hours they don't use each week as will be using all five days on different weeks so taking up full time space. Is this right or wrong?

Miss freckles
25-04-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't think it's wrong at all, I have the same situation with a mindee, this week I've got him 3 days, next week one, next week 4 and I charge full fees all the time.

sprinkles
25-04-2013, 01:59 PM
I don't think it's wrong at all, I have the same situation with a mindee, this week I've got him 3 days, next week one, next week 4 and I charge full fees all the time.

So do you charge full fees for all the days they use even if they don't use them some weeks? I was thinking if they only use Friday one week then I'll charge retainer of half fees for Monday-Thursday as they still use those days on other weeks?

Chatterbox Childcare
25-04-2013, 02:07 PM
I have a minimum amount of money each week and then invoice anything extra over this. e.g. If i needed 10 hours covered I would multiply this by my rate and give a minimum amount each week. Take it or leave it...

sprinkles
25-04-2013, 02:14 PM
I have a minimum amount of money each week and then invoice anything extra over this. e.g. If i needed 10 hours covered I would multiply this by my rate and give a minimum amount each week. Take it or leave it...

I don't understand :laughing:

The other option I've thought of is charge a minimum days per week. Say 2 days minimum then the week they only use one day, they have to pay for two?

sprinkles
25-04-2013, 02:34 PM
If I do a 2 day minimum charge then the difference, based on an 8 hour day, would be £112 per month!

I worked out paying 2 day minimum per week the average total per week would be £71 and paying half fee retainer for days not used the average weekly total would be £96.

AliceK
25-04-2013, 03:05 PM
I have all 4 of my EY's children as shift workers. They each have a minimum number of hours each month contracted. We agree this at the beginning. Usually they use more than their minimum but if they don't require care for the minimum hours they still have to pay for them. It works for me although if I sat and worked it out as 4 x FT spaces I would see that I am losing quite a lot :(

xxxx

sprinkles
25-04-2013, 03:08 PM
I have all 4 of my EY's children as shift workers. They each have a minimum number of hours each month contracted. We agree this at the beginning. Usually they use more than their minimum but if they don't require care for the minimum hours they still have to pay for them. It works for me although if I sat and worked it out as 4 x FT spaces I would see that I am losing quite a lot :(

xxxx

I can't decide what to do! If I go with the 2 days minimum I'm still not going to be able to fill the days they don't use so going to lose money!

They're coming to see me tomorrow so will see what they're saying!

AliceK
25-04-2013, 03:16 PM
I can't decide what to do! If I go with the 2 days minimum I'm still not going to be able to fill the days they don't use so going to lose money!

They're coming to see me tomorrow so will see what they're saying!

That's the problem. All mine are PT but using a FT space.

xxx

sprinkles
25-04-2013, 03:18 PM
That's the problem. All mine are PT but using a FT space.

xxx

Yeah! It wouldn't be so bad if this one was 1-4 days on a set 4 days as I would then be able to fill the day they don't use but it's different days each week.

Arghhhh lol x

nikki thomson
25-04-2013, 03:42 PM
I think it depends on your individual circumstances, I am in a similar situation myself, mum works set days, mon,tue,wed,thu, one week, then mon,tue,wed,sat the next but dad is a police man so he works shifts so when he's on rest days he looks after lo.
I work between 11 and 14 days per month. Some weeks like this one he's not here at all, although I work 1 sat a month and that's this sat, but other weeks its 4 days never a fri.
I only charge them for hrs used but I know dad shift pattern for the next 6 mths, so know what I'm working, it works for me, I only have him, have no intention of taking on other children.
I only wanted to work part time after years of 50hr weeks and they couldn't afford to pay me for every day if I did that I wouldn't have him and he fits in so well with my family it's perfect, so you need to think what's right for you. X

sprinkles
25-04-2013, 05:04 PM
I think it depends on your individual circumstances, I am in a similar situation myself, mum works set days, mon,tue,wed,thu, one week, then mon,tue,wed,sat the next but dad is a police man so he works shifts so when he's on rest days he looks after lo.
I work between 11 and 14 days per month. Some weeks like this one he's not here at all, although I work 1 sat a month and that's this sat, but other weeks its 4 days never a fri.
I only charge them for hrs used but I know dad shift pattern for the next 6 mths, so know what I'm working, it works for me, I only have him, have no intention of taking on other children.
I only wanted to work part time after years of 50hr weeks and they couldn't afford to pay me for every day if I did that I wouldn't have him and he fits in so well with my family it's perfect, so you need to think what's right for you. X

Thanks, I'll see how tomorrow goes.

Thinking I may go with charging them a minimum of two days per week and then maybe work it out so they're paying a set amount each week x