PDA

View Full Version : blind cord safety workshop????

ziggy
25-04-2013, 09:31 AM
I have had a letter inviting me to attend a 'blind cord safety workshop'

It is 24miles away, starts at 7.30 and ends 9pm and its on a wednesday (my busiest and longest day)

Just wondered if anyone else had attended a similar workshop. Also wondering why it is going to take 2.5 hours.

All my blind cords are tied up well out of reach of children and when i've been inspected this has been noted.

shortstuff
25-04-2013, 09:49 AM
ive never heard of such a course. Like you mine are up and out of reach but I trimmed mine so nothing can possibly make them drop within reach either.

I cant imagine what can possibly take so long to teach you either.

mummyMia
25-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Lol, I wouldn't bother going. I bet it is aimed at people who have never heard about the dangers of blind cords.

suziealderton
25-04-2013, 12:14 PM
I have had a letter inviting me to attend a 'blind cord safety workshop'

It is 24miles away, starts at 7.30 and ends 9pm and its on a wednesday (my busiest and longest day)

Just wondered if anyone else had attended a similar workshop. Also wondering why it is going to take 2.5 hours.

All my blind cords are tied up well out of reach of children and when i've been inspected this has been noted.

sounds like a waste of time and money!

Becci26
25-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Seriously??!

Unfortunately the people that are totally unaware of the dangers are unlikely to attend a workshop are they?!
I wouldn't bother going, I can think of better things to do of an evening after a long day!

Nicola Carlyle
25-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Sounds a bit odd really. All my blind cords are up out the way and I did this without any training. x

Koala
25-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I sigh with a heavy tone, shake my head and roll my eyes.

:panic: what's the world coming to? :panic:

Supernanny86
25-04-2013, 12:56 PM
A workshop??! Wonder how many people will pay to gain some common sense??! It's one of the first things I told the parents about when I started my new job!! (I'm a nanny) if your career is looking after children, your mind is kiddy orientated and so look for this sort of thing surely??!

Kxx

CLL
25-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Ooohh, I bet it is really interesting!! You should go and then come back and share all of your new found knowledge with us all. :)

ziggy
25-04-2013, 01:31 PM
lol, actually it is 7 - 9.30pm!!!!!!!!!!!!

including a question n answer session and a dvd and info pack to bring home.

Supernanny86
25-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Sounds thrilling! Wonder what they teach for all that time?! And a DVD?! Lol

Kx

nikki thomson
25-04-2013, 03:47 PM
This has tickled me, although when I was doing my paediatric first aid course the lady that runs it was doing a lifting and handling workshop, £35,!!!!, is it me???, I always pick them up by the leg and drag them along the ground with there heads bouncing of the ground, I mean honestly, common sense seems to if gone out the window (get it) on this one.

mama2three
25-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Who's running the 'course'?
Are you sure its not a company who will scare everyone to death - then sell their amazing life saving product of a cord-tie or similar at a hugely inflated price?
I think you should go just to tell us all about it. As you are a valued member of this online community I feel it is your duty!!:laughing::clapping:

ziggy
26-04-2013, 08:42 AM
it is a free course organised by district council and the guy running workshop is from Rospa.

I'm cant see how it can take so long!!!! Couldnt they just send us the dvd or info pack? Surely a leaflet would tell us all we need to know

To be quite honest anyone not aware of dangers of blind cords shouldnt be looking after children. There has been enough on the news etc in recent years and, as mentioned, it is something that is checked at my yearly inspections.

would love to know how much it is costing to put this workshop on!!!!

If it was nearer i would go just to report back but i cant face a 50 mile round trip to sit for 2.5 hrs

Is it me or has the world gone mad?:laughing::laughing::laughing:

CLL
26-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Now I have a blind question! If I have wooden vertical blinds and they have cords but do not loop and window sill is high, do I need to tie them up higher? Only look after baby at the moment and he is not even crawling yet, let alone climbing on the window sill. Is it ok to say I have risk assessed and risk is minimal and i will assess again as he is older or do I need to tie them up now? Cheers

shortstuff
26-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Now I have a blind question! If I have wooden vertical blinds and they have cords but do not loop and window sill is high, do I need to tie them up higher? Only look after baby at the moment and he is not even crawling yet, let alone climbing on the window sill. Is it ok to say I have risk assessed and risk is minimal and i will assess again as he is older or do I need to tie them up now? Cheers

I would say tie them higher anyway as you never know when you will get a potential family wanting to meet you and that might be one of the things that slips your mind at the time.

Always better to be safe than sorry

CLL
26-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Will do, thanks. If not I will just probably think about it all the time anyway.