PDA

View Full Version : chickenpox help what do i do

toddlers896
24-04-2013, 04:52 PM
I noticed a few small blisters on one of the LO and mum is 100% sure its chickenpox. What do I do with regards to the other children? Can the one with chickenpox still attend? If the others decide not to attend do I charge? Oh so many questions. Ive read that they have to stay away for 5 days

Becci26
24-04-2013, 04:55 PM
What is in your sickness policy?

The child with chicken pox needs to be excluded for a specified period (for me it is when spots have scabbed).

send an email out to all parents to advise there is a case of chicken pox and attach a copy of your sickness policy so they are aware of the protocol, it will be very likely others in ur care will come out in it over the next few weeks.

Koala
24-04-2013, 05:01 PM
I exclude for minimum 5 days or until spots are scabbed and child is well.

I would not want the responsibility of having a child with chicken pox at my setting in case it caused complications for the child or any other child.

If I was a parent sending my child to you and you knowingly had a child with chicken pox, If I decided not to send my child I would NOT expect to pay you and to be quite honest I may question your responsibility as to other infections.

I know some feel chicken pox should be shared but not on my watch!

BuggsieMoo
24-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Hi
You need to exclude the LO with chicken pox for at least 5 days and only then take them back IF all the spots have crusted over. As for the others, there is no need for them to stay away - you will need to notify parent that it is in your setting and what the symptoms are so that they can keep an eye out for it. I care for a LO who didn't get spots until 5 weeks after she had been in contact with it at a friends setting.

toddlers896
24-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Thanks. I was panicking as I haven't had this before.

I got this info from the NHS website so I plan to implement it and my policy covers it too. phew

To prevent spreading the infection, keep children off nursery or school until all the spots have crusted over.

Chickenpox is most infectious from one to two days before the rash starts, until all the blisters have crusted over (usually five to six days after the start of the rash).

If your child has chickenpox, try to keep them away from public areas to avoid contact with people who have not had it, especially people who are at risk of serious problems, such as newborn babies, pregnant women and anyone with a weakened immune system (for example, people having cancer treatment or taking steroid tablets).

BuggsieMoo
24-04-2013, 05:13 PM
HPA - Guidance on Infection Control in Schools and other Child Care Settings (http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1203496946639)

You might find it handy to have the above in your accident/illness book.

bindy
24-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Thats right the children are infectious before the spots appear, the child normally gets a temp before the spots too. Chances are, kids have already been exposed! Talk to parents, so they know to keep an eye on their children.They may or may not come down. No need for them to stop coming but the infected child needs to keep away until the spots have stopped coming out, this can happen for up to5 days and have crusted.

JumpingJacks
24-04-2013, 06:35 PM
I've had to tell parents that we've had a mindee come out with it today, so to keep an eye on little ones for the next couple of weeks and sent them a copy of signs and symptoms. I've advised 5 day exclusion or until all spots scabbed over.

Sweetpea
24-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Quite often the last ones to scan over are the nappy area ones. Chicken pox is air Bourne so you need to tell them that this would be an issue when going out and about.