PDA

View Full Version : Type 1 Diabetes

emma04
24-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Just wondering if any of you have experienced a diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes in your own child??

My dd is 2yrs 4months and over the past few weeks has been drinking a lot but, how much is a lot?? - my eldest drank very little as a toddler and still has to be reminded now she's 8 so I have no idea what is excessive and what's normal.

Anyway she was toilet trained over a month ago and was dry for over 2 weeks, before she started wetting herself again, now I know this can happen sometimes. However, she is back to being dry again, but must use the potty at least 4 times every hour and produces a fair amount of urine each time (not just a token drop! As they sometimes do as a habit) She also uses the potty twice in the night (she gets up to use the potty and I always get up to help her) and her pull up is sometimes wet too.

When she wakes in the morning she has a beaker of milk and most of the time two beakers of very dilute squash immediately afterwards, this is what i find the most strange because afterwards she wee's almost every 15min for the next hour or two.

Throughout the day she drinks from a fairly large sports bottle and this is refilled twice, and she has s few drinks from an open beaker.

I'm struggling to decide whether or not to go to the GP, as a few weeks ago she had a urine sample done (i thought she had an infection due to wetting herself frequently) this sample was free from infection and I'm sure the GP would have seen if there was any glucose related issues with it??

Any advice appreciated as I don't want the GP to think i'm nuts!:blush:

Tealady
24-04-2013, 10:09 AM
If you have any concerns take her to the GP ASAP. They can test her blood sugar really easily and just put your mind at rest if nothing else.

The onset of Diabetes can happen out of the blue and almost overnight. My friends daughter started wetting the bed (age 6) they put it down to her Dad, who was previously a SAHD going back to work and a house move. This went on for 6 weeks. She was also having mood swings. Mum took her to GP as she thought the wetting and drinking may have been due to a bladder infection and she was subsequently diagnosed as Type 1 diabetes. She has blogged about her experience (link below) and also if you look at the the other link for Diabetes UK there is more info on what symptoms to look for.

However as mentioned above, just get her checked out. She could be weeing loads as she's drinking loads and the drinking loads could just be habit. But it's simple enough to rule out potential Diabetes and in my experience GP's don't risk such things with children

Why thrush is a girls best friend........ (how to spot Type One Diabetes in Children) - Northern Mum (http://www.northernmum.com/2012/12/why-thrush-girls-best-friend-how-spot-type-one-diabetes-children/)

Children and diabetes | Diabetes UK (http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Children-and-diabetes/)

Carolc
24-04-2013, 10:10 AM
I would gather checked just to be on the safe side. My friends daughter was diagnosed at 9 and was very hard for her to deal with. We also had a wee girl in the nursery that was diagnosed by chance. She had been camping and that's when her mum noticed how much she was going to loo. Xx

emma04
24-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Thank you, that was very interesting to read. Will book her an appointment, if they think i'm nuts then so be it!:thumbsup:

smurfette
24-04-2013, 06:40 PM
I had dd2 checked for diabetes several times as she drank and drank and drank.. Nothing ever showed up and now at 9 she only drinks normal amount.. So may be nothing ... Would have thought dr as u say would have seen any issues but get her checked if concerned its just a quick urine test xx