View Full Version : sorry to be a nuisance

24-04-2013, 09:03 AM
This never ending drama must be driving you all nuts lol

As mentioned previously i had problem with parent who wanted to pay retainer for 2months summer hols and still send 2 boys 2 days a week for no extra. anyway this is now sorted and she is going to pay to send them 2 days and pay retainer for other 3 days.

Same parent just has new baby, i originally said i would keep place for baby due to start in September, although no retainer or deposit was mentioned. I was happy enough to keep place till September as i have few extra schoolies over summer to increase income.

Eldest brother of new baby is starting school in september, so income from him will drop from £100 a week to £50.

Parent has just told me she wont be going back in September, she plans to go back eventually, whatever that means.

I have been asked to take baby from another family in June (full time), so think i will just take this baby as i cant afford to keep a place for so long and not earn any money.

I cant see parent will pay a retainer if she didnt want to pay holiday retainer, plus this still wouldnt be same amount i can earn from full time baby.

Time to do what is best for me

Would anyone here do the same? or am i being mean?

24-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Talk to mum and get a date from her, and tell her she needs to pay a retainer as you have someone else interested in the spcae. If she refuses I guess you risk losing the boys eventually if you have no space for the baby. But work is work and if you have someone who wants a place soon then I'd go with that.

24-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Say to mum you appreciate she isn't going back in September but unless she pays you a retainer and can tell you when she is going back you simply can't hold the place open. Explain you have someone else interested in a full time space from June and need to give them a decision.

Good luck.

Sam x

24-04-2013, 09:12 AM
I think after doing this job for a year now I'm beginning to find my business head. I'd take the new baby on. I thought I had all my mindees sorted before Xmas and turned down other work then they have notice due to a job change.
I think now that no matter how well I get on with the parents and kids I am only ever 4 weeks from losing them.
So I do what's best for me and my family now.
I have got 4 part timers so far which is working out better for me- apart from all the paperwork!!! X

24-04-2013, 09:16 AM
I think I would tell mom that you cannot keep a place open on a "going back eventually" comment, explain that you need a retainer
to keep the place, ( that's if you can afford too) or give her notice and take on the new baby as its a deffinate need. And say that when
she decides to go back to work to contact you and see if there is a place available. Do these parents think that they are the only ones
who need our services!:mad: she's just as likley to have the place and then let you down.

24-04-2013, 10:35 AM
I am concerned she may take another year off so i'm not even going to ask for retainer i will just take other baby if mum wants me. I shall tell boys mum that i just cant afford to turn away a full time baby when she doesnt know when she is returning to work.

I've been more than helpful with this family

I also have other families looking for part time places in September so gonna take a risk with this one

24-04-2013, 11:21 AM
I would take the new baby on tbh, as the existing parent seems to want her cake and eat it! Totally with you on this one Ziggy, you can't pay your bills 'eventually' and presumably if she does want to start the baby at some point you could do an exception for continuity? (or is it different in Ireland?)
Either way this mum can't just leave you hanging like that, and as she has changed her end of the verbal agreement you had re September I would say you are well within your rights to offer the place elsewhere now.
Hope you get the new baby :thumbsup:

24-04-2013, 11:59 AM
thanks, yes it is different in Ireland. But then again she may not go back to work till sep 14 and who knows what may happen between now and then.

If and when new mummy is ready to sign contract then i shall tell her, as you say i have bills to pay and cant afford to turn away a full time baby

Dilly Daydream
24-04-2013, 12:19 PM
The full time baby would get the space from me. I too have learnt not to take a parents word for it until a contract is signed and deposits etc paid. You can't work with if's or buts and I have lost some very good contracts and some very lovely children due to taking an if and but as gospel x

24-04-2013, 12:44 PM
You are right hun got to look after yourself first ..

I have one like this have had Lo since 18 months she is now 3.5 and mum had new baby last year..
She left big sis usual hours while on maternity but couldn't say when she would want baby minded as she was breast feeding and working from home, so I have filled space and have fitted her now around it.. She isn't happy really with the hours I can offer little one but I couldn't hold on either .. Unless mum 1 can give you definite time and pays retainer don't hold space, who knows if or when she will go back! I know it's more complicated if you have the brothers but I presume if she doesn't go back to work Til jan/Sept then she might not leave them with you while off anyways? Sign new baby up then tell mum to come back to you nearer time

24-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Oh yes I agree you are right to offer baby a space not wait for the other mum to return to work. She may never go back to work.

The Juggler
24-04-2013, 01:22 PM
not sure of your exact numbers hon but I assume you have one space now (to take on June baby) and another will be free in September when elder brother goes to school? sorry if I have read this wrong.

I would also take on June baby now over keeping a space for new baby. In any case if you take on new baby and keep sibling before and after school you could then go over normal ratios for new baby as it would be continuity of care. :thumbsup:

24-04-2013, 02:01 PM
I agree, take on the new baby and then when mum eventually goes back to work you can have her baby anyway as continuity of care.

26-04-2013, 10:50 AM
New baby came for visit today, mummy seemed more than happy. I'd been recommended by a few people in village. She stayed about 30mins, discussed fees etc.

She is going back to work middle of june and will start sending him for odd session next month.

So going to tell other parents today and worry about other baby when his mummy decides when she is going back to work

thanks for all ur support

26-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Brill! Glad it went well good luck later let us know how you get on xx