PDA

View Full Version : Multiple sclerosis

izzy
23-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Hello, this is a bit of a personal question and I hope you don't mind me asking, but does anyone have ms and still Childmind?

Regards,

Izzy

suziealderton
24-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Hello, this is a bit of a personal question and I hope you don't mind me asking, but does anyone have ms and still Childmind?

Regards,

Izzy

hi izzy, i dont but my best friend has ms x

shortstuff
24-04-2013, 06:30 AM
I'm sorry but I don't know anyone who CM's with MS. I hope someone comes along soon who has some experience for you.

izzy
24-04-2013, 08:34 AM
hi izzy, i dont but my best friend has ms x

Hi, is your friend a childminder? (Hope your friend keeps well)
Izzy

WibbleWobble
24-04-2013, 11:54 AM
I know someone who has ms and child minds. She picks her minders very carefully and works part time x

sprinkles
24-04-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't know anyone but just wanted to say I hope you keep well. My mum was diagnosed with MS at 22 years old and she coped tremendously.

appleblossom
24-04-2013, 01:17 PM
I don't have MS but have an unidentified medical problem which has similar symptoms to MS. (I have been tested extensively for MS which has been ruled out currently but my current condition may be a pre-cursor to it eventually). I am also registered partially sighted. I deal with all this by minding a small number of children and work part time only. due to my sight issues I don't drive. My sight is good enough that the children I care for are not at any more risk than if I was not partially sighted. i probably risk assess more than most CM and am careful to select outings which are easy to cope with. My two adult children assist a lot (One is my registered assistant) and I take at least one of them on longer outings to unfamiliar destinations.

I believe it is good for children to spend time with less able people and people who are different. If my illness became degenerative I would carefully consider whether it was in the children's interests for me to stop minding.

Tazmin68
24-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi

My husband has ms and is registered as my assistant. It took 4 years to eventually be diagnosed with ms as it is very difficult to diagnose.

suziealderton
25-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Hi, is your friend a childminder? (Hope your friend keeps well)
Izzy

hi izzy, no she isnt, she is in a wheelchair now :-(

izzy
25-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Hi

My husband has ms and is registered as my assistant. It took 4 years to eventually be diagnosed with ms as it is very difficult to diagnose.

Hi tazmine, I know all about the time to diagnosis, I have gone through, myelitis and could be ms, to poss ms, to probable ms. Awaiting results of evoked potentials done at the Radcliffe in Oxford six weeks ago, told I should get results next week. I have been ongoing for what will be 4yrs in October. I do understand the difficulty and would rather they be sure than gt a wrong diagnosis. I hope your husband keeps well?
Best wishes
Izzy

izzy
25-04-2013, 07:23 PM
I know someone who has ms and child minds. She picks her minders very carefully and works part time x

Hi wibblewobble, thx for your reply. That is what I have done for the time being, in just having my two grandchildren part time. (Secretly quite enjoying it though) ;-)
Regards izzy

izzy
25-04-2013, 07:27 PM
I don't know anyone but just wanted to say I hope you keep well. My mum was diagnosed with MS at 22 years old and she coped tremendously.

Thank you sprinkles, it is lovely to hear positive stories. Before childminding I worked for a private nursing agency and took care of four patients all with very advanced, debilitating ms -all lovely ladies but not so good for me now as I have seen the other end of the spectrum. It's hard to stay positive sometimes (though the children help loads).
Regards izzy

izzy
25-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't have MS but have an unidentified medical problem which has similar symptoms to MS. (I have been tested extensively for MS which has been ruled out currently but my current condition may be a pre-cursor to it eventually). I am also registered partially sighted. I deal with all this by minding a small number of children and work part time only. due to my sight issues I don't drive. My sight is good enough that the children I care for are not at any more risk than if I was not partially sighted. i probably risk assess more than most CM and am careful to select outings which are easy to cope with. My two adult children assist a lot (One is my registered assistant) and I take at least one of them on longer outings to unfamiliar destinations.

I believe it is good for children to spend time with less able people and people who are different. If my illness became degenerative I would carefully consider whether it was in the children's interests for me to stop minding.

Thank you for your reply apple blossom, I was given an initial dx of myelitis, the neurologist is quite adamant it is 'probably' ms but nothing definite yet. Am fighting shy of the lumbar puncture so far. It has really helped by cutting my hours and was def a good path to take. I would hate to give up totally though, the children are so amusing, they re a breath of fresh air.
And you are right about the children understanding about people who are different - lo knows I have 'silly legs' sometimes and just have to sit down for five to ten minutes occasionally.
I also risk assess prob more than is necessary, but with children you can't take chances And if I thought I was putting them at risk in any way, would give up without a second thought.
With best wishes
Izzy

izzy
25-04-2013, 07:43 PM
hi izzy, no she isnt, she is in a wheelchair now :-(

Oh Suzy, I am sorry for your friend, it is a cruel disease. I hope she keeps as well as she can given the circumstances.
Best wishes,
Izzy

sprinkles
25-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Thank you sprinkles, it is lovely to hear positive stories. Before childminding I worked for a private nursing agency and took care of four patients all with very advanced, debilitating ms -all lovely ladies but not so good for me now as I have seen the other end of the spectrum. It's hard to stay positive sometimes (though the children help loads).
Regards izzy

Yes definitely. She was in a wheelchair by 30 and had me (her third child) when she was 35. Unfortunately lost my dad when she was 37 but managed impeccably to bring up my brothers and myself on her own. She did get a little help from carers but she managed amazingly.

Unfortunately it went downhill from there and she moved into a home in 2008 and passed away in 2011. The most inspiring person I have, and will, ever meet! Things have changed so much though and medicine has advanced so much!!

Tazmin68
25-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Hubby was finally diagnosed 2003 after 3 years of ms symptom of numbness in thumb and finger in one hand his old gp kept saying trapped nerve then changed gp and referred to hospital and had MRI scan inconclusive then 2 years later had double vision episode signed off work emergency MRI scan and because they could then compare the 2 scans could finally get a diagnosis. Not had a relapse since but numbness is now most of hand and occaisonally one foot. He used to be a qualified snooker referee and stopped and has started again and has learned to use other hand instead. He gets dla at lower rate as funds it difficult to do up shirt buttons, cannot really cook a hot meal and a couple of other things but we have lived with it now for 12 years and he makes a point of not getting stressed.

zippy
25-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Have a read up about aspartame

jackie 7
26-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Good luck. How about after school children? I know as I get older i will do after school as there will be less picking up of them. I have no knowledge about ms so I am not a lot of help.

jackie 7
26-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Good luck. How about after school children? I know as I get older i will do after school as there will be less picking up of them. I have no knowledge about ms so I am not a lot of help.

izzy
26-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Have a read up about aspartame

I had done zippy, it's been a no no in our house for about 2 years now. It's amazing how these things can affect your body,
Grannysue x

izzy
26-04-2013, 05:12 PM

That's def another path to take, and - less paperwork into the bargain! ;-)