PDA

View Full Version : Have I got this right?

TNT
23-04-2013, 12:26 PM
I have just been asked if I have space for 3 siblings in september, I said yes but I may have to do some jiggling. Now I am wondering if I register my other half as an assistant if this is doable (and allowed):
For 1 hour a day, the morning school run, I would have my own children aged 1, 3 and 7. I then have 2 sisters aged 4 and 7, then 3 siblings aged 4, 6 and 8.
Now, that is 2 under five years old (the 4 year olds start full time school), 5 under 8 years old and 1 over 8. I will obviously be overminding but if my OH is my assistant and he comes with me on the school run or takes my own children to school seperately am I within numbers?

BuggsieMoo
23-04-2013, 12:29 PM
children over 8 do not come into your numbers. as long as you have 6 under 8 and no more, you'll be fine-including your own children xx

TNT
23-04-2013, 12:35 PM
But 4 of those would be 5-8, is that ok? Am I getting mixed up because it is only 3 under 5 but as many as you like over 5 as long as you dont exceed 6?

Becci26
23-04-2013, 12:36 PM
But 4 of those would be 5-8, is that ok? Am I getting mixed up because it is only 3 under 5 but as many as you like over 5 as long as you dont exceed 6?

Yes that's fine, so long as u don't exceed 6 under 8 it doesn't matter how many of those 6 are aged 5-8.

JCrakers
23-04-2013, 12:37 PM
So you'll have 7 under 8.

When do the other 7yr olds turn 8. As soon as they do you'll be fine but will have to sort something out until they do

marnieb
23-04-2013, 12:38 PM
no you'll be fine as you're not exceeding the 6 under 8 rule!!

TNT
23-04-2013, 12:39 PM
But I would have 7 under 8, ok this is confusing me more now :laughing:

That is why I wanted to use OH as assistant until one of the 7 year olds is 8 in March.

JCrakers
23-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I counted seven under 8 in your first post.

You can have a total of 6 under 8 with 3 of those being under 5.
So looking at your post you'll have 7 under 8 which is not allowed :)

I don't know anything about assistants though

Stapleton83
23-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Ok I make it 7 under 8 so yes you would need to get your husband registered as your assistant !

Hope that helps.

Sam x

Becci26
23-04-2013, 12:46 PM
I have counted 6 under 8 and 1 over 8, apologies if I have got this wrong!

Stapleton83
23-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Sorry just had another thought you wouldn't need to register your hubby if you just left him looking after one of yours I don't think although I am sure someone with more knowledge will come along and clarify.

Sam x

TNT
23-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Ok lets start again :laughing:
7 under 8, 1 over 8, can I register my oh as an assistant and have him with me on the school run or he can take my own children to school leaving me with the others. Is this possible?

JCrakers
23-04-2013, 12:53 PM
you wouldn't be able to get hubbie to have your own children because they cant be taken out your numbers. Your certificate before it changed would probably have said may care for no more than 3 under 8 because you have 3 of your own.

He will have to be a registered assistant :) when does your 7 yr old turn 8?

Kirstylob
23-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I would register your hubby as an assistant anyway. He can walk to school with you or take your own children then without anyone thinking you were over numbers. Are these children term time only? If not you would need him with you in the holidays.
Good luck with the jiggling!

BuggsieMoo
23-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Ok lets start again :laughing:
7 under 8, 1 over 8, can I register my oh as an assistant and have him with me on the school run or he can take my own children to school leaving me with the others. Is this possible?

You would still need an assistant to take on all of them as you would still be over the maximum allowance of 6. Your's come into your numbers irrespective as to whether they go to childcare, stay with you or your hubby takes them to school. The only way you can get around it is to ask someone to be your assistant so that your numbers can increase (again Ofsted may not increase your numbers on space allowance etc) and then you coul go over your 6. You'll will need to address as well what would happen should your assistant be off, as you would not be allowed all 7 under 8. HTH x

TNT
23-04-2013, 12:56 PM
:clapping: I think we finally got there, it was my fault all the confusion as wrote 4 under 8 instead of 5 in OP, have changed it now :blush:
Ok so if I register him as an assistant then he can take my children and they are not counted in my numbers have I got that right now?

BuggsieMoo
23-04-2013, 01:00 PM
:clapping: I think we finally got there, it was my fault all the confusion as wrote 4 under 8 instead of 5 in OP, have changed it now :blush:
Ok so if I register him as an assistant then he can take my children and they are not counted in my numbers have I got that right now?

They will still be counted in your numbers as he is your assistant. However you maybe able to increase your numbers (maximum of 12 space dependant as you can have up to an additional 6 per assistant) with your hubby working for you. However if for some reason such as illness he cannot help you, then you will be over your numbers as you would not be allowed all the children on your own (until one of the 7 year olds turns 8) and illness is expectable and therefore cannot be included in emergency cover why you have had to go over your numbers.

Rubybubbles
23-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Sorry just had another thought you wouldn't need to register your hubby if you just left him looking after one of yours I don't think although I am sure someone with more knowledge will come along and clarify.

Sam x

nope, her own children come into numbers regardless of hubby having them or not I'm afraid

BuggsieMoo
23-04-2013, 01:05 PM
nope, her own children come into numbers regardless of hubby having them or not I'm afraid

Just what I said RB x

JCrakers
23-04-2013, 01:08 PM
If hubbie was registered then you could have the 7 children and maybe hubbie could be responsible for taking his own children to school if he didn't feel confident to do the mindees. But your own three will always be counted in your numbers.
If dh is ill then you will have to let one child's parents down that day.

Once the 7 yr old turns 8 you will be ok

TNT
23-04-2013, 01:21 PM
If hubbie was registered then you could have the 7 children and maybe hubbie could be responsible for taking his own children to school if he didn't feel confident to do the mindees. But your own three will always be counted in your numbers.
If dh is ill then you will have to let one child's parents down that day.

Once the 7 yr old turns 8 you will be ok

Thank you. I was confused with myown 3 being counted in my numbers. One of the 7 year olds is 8 in march so would only be for 6 months.

FussyElmo
23-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Remembrr if you go over the 6 under 8 even with an assistant you have to apply for planning permission which can be very costly.

george
23-04-2013, 05:48 PM
No you can look after the number permitted on your public liability so possibly 10 without hvg to apply for planning

FussyElmo
23-04-2013, 06:11 PM
No you can look after the number permitted on your public liability so possibly 10 without hvg to apply for planning

Suppose it depends on your la still best to ring and check

Starfish007
23-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I dont mean to add more confusion to the thread but in September last year I put a variation in place for 6 months to have my own 6 year old taken out of my numbers for 2 hours once a week. I spoke to Ofsted about this and they said (cant remember their exact words) that if I had someone to take my son out of my numbers who was guarenteed to pick up my son from school such as his Dad, not any other form of childcare ie after school club, it was ok for me to do this as long as I took the necessary steps. So I contacted my LO, sent letters to parents asking for their written consent and gave parents copy of risk assessment.

it did take 3 phone calls to Ofsted and I think it depende who you speak to, the 3rd lady I spoke to was really helpful.

At the time when I applied the variation there was a really useful thread on here which helped and gave me fuel for thought when approaching Ofsted, I dont have a clue where it is now, was last summertime x