PDA

View Full Version : Assistant

Mrs M
03-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi, just a quick question. My mum comes to my house a couple of times per week. However, if I nip to the loo or leave the room for any reason, I can't leave her in the room with the minded children. If I were to register her as my assistant, would I then be able to do this? She currently helps me out by doing bits and bobs for me and gets along great with the children. It's not a case that I'd be paying her loads or that we'd have a formal agreement on when she'd be coming round, it's just that it's hard going that she can't actually stay in the same room as the children when I'm not there. Same with my hubby! Do they need to go on the full courses? Would they get inspected? Would they need to be there during my inspections?:D

FizzysFriends
03-07-2008, 11:04 AM
I was under the impression that you could just get them CRB checked and then they would be allowed to be left in the same room if you went to the loo etc. Cause she would be classed as a regluar in the house?

Thats if im right in thinking shes not helping you look after them?

Mrs M
03-07-2008, 11:08 AM
So does that mean that because my husband has been CRB checked, I can leave him in the room with the children? I think I've been getting confused! Doesn't take much though working these hours!!!:laughing:

FizzysFriends
03-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Thats what they told me.

It would be wrong for you to have to ask hubby to follow you everywhere when mindees are there or to lock himself away.

aly
03-07-2008, 11:10 AM
i dont think you can leave them even if they are crb'd.

Mrs M
03-07-2008, 11:12 AM
That's what I thought. When my mum or hubby are in the house, I ask them to leave the room that the children are in if I'm having to leave the room to go to the loo! Or I take the minded children upstairs and leave him on the landing on in a bedroom to play! What a palava!

wendywu
03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Dont think you can tell your family that they have to leave the room in their own home. They have all been CRB checked if they are over 16. I have never been told this and even though the rule may exist i am not going to start now after 11 years. I think what Ofsted demand and what happens in a normal family home can be two totally different things. :panic:

Mrs M
03-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks Wendywu. My full time mindee is a son of very good friend's of my husband and I. Therefore, we all find it silly that hubby cannot stay in the room with little one if I leave it! However, when it comes to my mum who isn't CRB checked, I imagine the rule still stands then. The parents also know my mum but they're paying me to look after their child and I'm remaining as professional with them as I would with any other parent.

wendywu
03-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I would get your mum CRB checked and registered as your assistant as it would still be a help if you did not have to stand her at the top of the garden when you need to leave the room.:laughing:

Mrs M
03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I know, poor old girl gets cold in the garden!! Ha ha!
Thanks for your advice. I'll look into getting her as my assistant.

wendywu
03-07-2008, 11:57 AM
I have just sent the forms off for DH and DD to be assistants. I was also thinking of doing my Mum as well. My other DD turns16 next feb so might as well add her on as well when the time comes.:laughing:

Pauline
03-07-2008, 12:08 PM
I've never heard of that, I would think that that is what the CRB is all about, checking that other people in the house who might have access to the children, are checked and safe.

Heaven Scent
03-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Oh be careful about the number of people you have registered as assistants as things change if you go over 2 we got something in the post about it recently but I cannot lay my hands on it at the moment. I would take a look at the ofsted website - it was in the bumph we got about which register we would be on.

If you can't find it on the website give them a call or take a look through your paperwork to see if you can find anything out about it.

You just go into a different catagory and that causes complications - I can't remember how.

Mrs M
03-07-2008, 06:39 PM
I phoned Ofsted and they confirmed that my hubby is able to be left in the same room as the children if I go off to the loo. However, he is not permitted to take part in any activities. My mum is not permitted to take part in any activities either, even if I am there! Therefore, hubby and mum are now going to become assistants.

wendywu
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Dont tell him that he cant take part in activities he might take it to mean washing up, cutting the grass, hanging the washing out and so on.:laughing:

No point in buying the spiderman outfit in the larger size for him now then:laughing:

barbarella68
03-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi
So my husband is crb checked and this afternoon when he came back from work he was in the garden playing football with the kids while I made tea,so are we not allowed to do this now(activities).It will be a shame as they really love playing games and that with my husband.What is the world coming too!

Pauline
03-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Oh be careful about the number of people you have registered as assistants as things change if you go over 2 we got something in the post about it recently but I cannot lay my hands on it at the moment. I would take a look at the ofsted website - it was in the bumph we got about which register we would be on.

If you can't find it on the website give them a call or take a look through your paperwork to see if you can find anything out about it.

You just go into a different catagory and that causes complications - I can't remember how.

If you work with more than two assistants you classed as a full business and are liable for business rates from your local council. Perhaps that is what you mean Celine?

Mrs M
04-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi
So my husband is crb checked and this afternoon when he came back from work he was in the garden playing football with the kids while I made tea,so are we not allowed to do this now(activities).It will be a shame as they really love playing games and that with my husband.What is the world coming too!

Yep, that is exactly what they mean but in my opinion that's silly. My hubby gets home early on a Friday and plays in the garden with our son and my one mindee. I have never left them all and gone inside as I hadn't realised I could (!) however, he plays with the mindee and interacts with him. The mindee is the son of friends of mine and my husband's so they like the fact that hubby interacts with him but as far as Ofsted is concerned, he shouldn't be. Therefore, I've downloaded the assistant application forms and shall be making both my mum and hubby assistants so they can at least take part.:rolleyes:

wendywu
04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I should imagine this happens in millions of minders homes all across the country. Mindees joining in being part of the family that they in some cases spend 90 per cent of their time with.:)

disney
06-07-2008, 09:46 AM
i would certainly leave my mindees for a couple of mins with my hubby if i needed to go to the toilet as he has had a crb cheeck and i dont think that is right to ask him to leave his own room in his own house . he loves my mindees they think hes great and i know the parents dont mind at all .

i think its all getting a little out of hand i mean really if you have not had a crb then i would understand ! its no different to fostering my friend does this and her & her hubby have been crb cheecked and they are both allowed to stay with the child . also icant take my children up stairs with me as my upstairs is not registered .

wendywu
06-07-2008, 10:00 AM
I think the only time we have to worry is when Ofsted install cameras in our homes.:laughing:

I have always been full all the time i have been minding and i think it is because the childre become part of my family. My whole house is registered and i am also registered for overnight care. So that it we are all one unit, i have children long term and their siblings. My families mix outside of my setting. It is a really good relationship on all sides. The children have all grown up together.

I think if your are starting to mind now Ofsted can put the fear of god into you. Where if you have been minding for a while you know what is normal for most minders. As long as the parents and children are happy you can give the little tiny rules lip service and then get on with your job.:blush:

buildingblocks
06-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Or you could use common sense (sorry just so fed up of it all at the moment). I frequently have my hubby at home he works shifts and often have mum up now due to circumstances.

Hubby is now a Childminder in own right but not insured yet and mum has no CRB but I am sorry (and hope we have no Ofsted spies here) but and please feel free to yell at me and tell me I am in the wrong but I actually leave children playing quite happily in a room with two adults they know and love to bits while I pop into the kitchen or go to the loo and they are probably safer with them then being left on their own in a room with no adult or the Ofsted inspector or an adult with enhanced CRB check they have never met and that I don't know.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't leave them with just anyone or a complete stranger.

Oh and just to add fuel to the fire so to speak when I had my inspection both mum and Gary were here and when I was asked to show inspector around so okay will just fetch the children (being a good childmidner) and her words were you may as well leave them in the garden with your hubby and mum as they are obviously fine!!!!!

Pauline
06-07-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm sure that the person Emma spoke to at Ofsted has got it wrong. The world of childminding has gone mad if you can't leave a child for a minute with someone they know and love, who has been CRB checked and is no threat! and to say that your hubby can't join in activities has got to be the most stupid thing I've ever heard! :panic:

Bet if someone else phoned up tomorrow they would be told differently! :rolleyes:

Lou
06-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I totally agree this is madness.

If my mum was here and i needed a wee, i am not dragging 3 under 5s to loo with me if they are happy playing and she can watch them and no she is not registered or crb checked but she managed to bring me up ok

What is the world coming to?

crazybones
06-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I agree. I would leave my husband with them in a shot. For gods sake he is a dad of 3 boys what the hell could he do wrong. He was off last week on new mindees second day. He took one look at Dave and burst into tears when he arrived. Ten minutes later he had persuaded Dave to lie on the floor and build the train track whilst running a tractor over his head :rolleyes: I must admit though at an inspection a few years ago I was minding my niece. My brother (her uncle) was in the garden and when I went upstairs to show the bathroom to the inspector she mentioned she was not happy about me leaving her in the garden with him. She didnt realise that she was my niece and the only mindee I had there that day but once I told her it was fine.

wendywu
06-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Yer there are some normal sensible people out there. :clapping:

Its a home from home we provide and all the laughter and tears that go with it. I dont want to be like an antiseptic nursery fraught with peril around every corner.:laughing: