PDA

View Full Version : MMR... Parent has asked me to take Lo for jab? Help!

step11
22-04-2013, 12:51 PM
My parent has rang me and told me los was due is first jab at 12months and has asked me to arrange to get all his jabs done. He said he will talk about it later!!!

What is it with these parents! I understand they work but I work to and take time off to sort my son out!

The cheek to ask me to arrange to get his jabs I'm not his mother!

I don't mind taking him but I'm not arranging it. If they book it and I'm around then I will but I'm not going up go out of my way to do it. It's a responsibility a parent needs to take.

What would you do on this occasion?

Cookie Monster
22-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't arrange it nor take them. That's s parents role in my opinion! How cheeky!!!

Tealady
I don't mind taking him but I'm not arranging it. If they book it and I'm around then I will but I'm not going up go out of my way to do it. It's a responsibility a parent needs to take.

What would you do on this occasion?

Tell him exactly that. For me it would also be dependant on the children I have that day. My mindee used to be fine at the doc's but when I took my DD he quickly got bored and started mucking around.

chriss
I do wonder if some parents would let us give birth to their children so they dont have to take time off work. The term "parental responsibility" comes to mind.

The Juggler
22-04-2013, 12:57 PM
sorry!!!!!!!!!!!??? she actually asked you NOT only to take him but to arrange the appointment as well :panic:

I would say you cannot take all the other children to an appointment like that - childrne having jabs often need 1-2-1 care. Doctors rooms are often up stairs (so buggy problems).

She will have to take some time off :angry:

miffy
22-04-2013, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't take the child (and definitely wouldn't book the appointment) - just explain you have other children in your care and you cannot be responsible for their child whilst they have their jabs - what would happen if the child had an adverse reaction?

This one is down to the parents and I'd be having words about NOT consulting you in the first place!

Miffy xx

step11
22-04-2013, 01:02 PM
I will let dad know they will have to arrange it all and if I'm available I will. I only have that mindee and a school run 2.5 days a week. So dad thinks I don't have a life. I can't see my 18month old waiting in a docs room.

Next they will be asking me to take him to his 1 year check!

step11
22-04-2013, 01:04 PM
sorry!!!!!!!!!!!??? she actually asked you NOT only to take him but to arrange the appointment as well :panic:

I would say you cannot take all the other children to an appointment like that - childrne having jabs often need 1-2-1 care. Doctors rooms are often up stairs (so buggy problems).

She will have to take some time off :angry:

Yep asked me to arrange it!

Koala
22-04-2013, 01:07 PM
I would advise you NOT to arrange or take him for any medical procedure.

If you do you are putting yourself in a risky position, it is not for you to arrange this procedure, it could be misinterpreted that you are pushing the parent into making this decision and god forbid there were any adverse reactions - I can just imagine the newspaper headings.

Please don't do it, tell your parent it is his responsibility and he should both arrange and get it done.

He'll be asking you to do all sorts next.

Good luck, It sounds like you think it's a bad idea anyway.

FussyElmo
22-04-2013, 01:07 PM
No Im sorry tell them to arrange their own childs appointment.

tashaleee
22-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Sorry but NO WAY!!!!!

Its not your responsibility at all - I might make the arrangement if I really liked the parents but I would jokingly point out Im NOT their secretary!

I would never take a child for their injections - what happens if they have a bad reaction?

Its the parents job on this one and definitely not yours :thumbsup:

step11
22-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Are we actually even allowed to go stuff like that? Are we covered or is there something saying we shouldn't?

I took my son to get weighed once and mum asked if I could get lo weighed which I didn't mind.

TNT
22-04-2013, 01:23 PM
I would not make the appointment for them or take the child because of the risk of an adverse reaction.
I think I would also sit down with them and have a proper chat about what your role is and how their ideas of a childminder seem to be a bit different in reality.

step11
22-04-2013, 01:29 PM
I think I'm go a have to add another section to my policy! I really don't want the responsibility If something happen. Has anyone else got a policy on this? Help would be appreciated

FussyElmo
22-04-2013, 01:31 PM
I think I'm go a have to add another section to my policy! I really don't want the responsibility If something happen. Has anyone else got a policy on this? Help would be appreciated

You don't need a policy just time them it is their responsibility :thumbsup:

step11
22-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Will speak to dad and let him know I will not be Able to do this as I can not take responsibility for something happening.

I can sympathise with them but I can not loose my business. I just know they will make me feel bad as I said I didn't mind taking him gp but I didn't expect him to want me to actually go.

Iv been told by my support worker that I should be writing things down for child protection! A few other incidents have happened but I didn't think I needed to write it down.

CLL
22-04-2013, 01:48 PM
I agree with the others. This is something you need to stay Well away from. Tell dad that you are unable to take children for medical appointments. He should not have even assumed that you would do this. If you do this as a favour and the child has an adverse reaction to the drugs parents may blame you and you could end up in a legal dispute.

step11
22-04-2013, 01:55 PM
I agree with the others. This is something you need to stay Well away from. Tell dad that you are unable to take children for medical appointments. He should not have even assumed that you would do this. If you do this as a favour and the child has an adverse reaction to the drugs parents may blame you and you could end up in a legal dispute.

It's my own fault really as I did say to dad before I didn't mind taking him gp but that's for like check ups something minor ( it's a favour as I don't have other children at the mo) but I will speak to dad and say I will no longer do any medical appointments I can not take the risk. I didn't think of it like that when I said it was ok I didn't expect them to want me to do jabs also.

What a pickle?!

mama2three
22-04-2013, 02:09 PM
To be fair to dad then , if he thinks that appointments like this are something youre happy to do then I can see why he would ask you to arrange it. That way you can book it at a time that suits you .
I would just say that due to the risk of adverse reactions , this was not the kind of appointment youre happy to undertake. Im not sure I would do any gp apps at all to be fair. if the child is unwell they shouldnt be with me anyway!

step11
22-04-2013, 02:14 PM
To be fair to dad then , if he thinks that appointments like this are something youre happy to do then I can see why he would ask you to arrange it. That way you can book it at a time that suits you .
I would just say that due to the risk of adverse reactions , this was not the kind of appointment youre happy to undertake. Im not sure I would do any gp apps at all to be fair. if the child is unwell they shouldnt be with me anyway!

Very true. Will put it right hopefully!

Chatterbox Childcare
22-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I am happy to take children for the jabs but wouldn't be expected to organise it. I think that I would like to be asked would I and if so when would it be convenient?

Maybe the dad took it for granted that you would be happy to and thought it would be easier for you to organise as you know your schedule, rather than him booking it and then having to change it when you said no??

What did dad say when you discussed it with him?

smurfette
22-04-2013, 03:15 PM
I did once take a Lo for a jab but I ended up with a second child with me and it was upstairs .. Mum did arrange apt but dr wasnt impressed it was me, said it was most unusual! She still had to talk to mum re permission so had to phone her and I imagine I probably signed forms which now I think about it wasnt clever. I had only started and was a bit green! I think mmr is more likely to have a reaction so wouldn't be doing that one anyway.. Tell her sling her hook (nicely but firmly!)

smurfette
22-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Oh meant to say once I took my eldest for a jab she was about 4, and I had my other two with me (2 and a baby) .. She freaked and they got hysterical cos she was, would never do it again!!

step11
22-04-2013, 03:37 PM
I am happy to take children for the jabs but wouldn't be expected to organise it. I think that I would like to be asked would I and if so when would it be convenient?

Maybe the dad took it for granted that you would be happy to and thought it would be easier for you to organise as you know your schedule, rather than him booking it and then having to change it when you said no??

What did dad say when you discussed it with him?

Haven't spoken to dad yet! Will let you all know what he says later. Not looking forward to the chat!

Last time I took him doctors, doctor looked at me funny to as if to say where are the parents if they are that concerned.

chriss
22-04-2013, 03:38 PM

I would file this policy under P....for taking the :rolleyes:

step11
22-04-2013, 03:38 PM
I did once take a Lo for a jab but I ended up with a second child with me and it was upstairs .. Mum did arrange apt but dr wasnt impressed it was me, said it was most unusual! She still had to talk to mum re permission so had to phone her and I imagine I probably signed forms which now I think about it wasnt clever. I had only started and was a bit green! I think mmr is more likely to have a reaction so wouldn't be doing that one anyway.. Tell her sling her hook (nicely but firmly!)

Yh will defo tell dad I don't do the jabs as they need one to one care after. I know with my son he was clingy.

step11
22-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Well mum picked up not dad and she was fine about it. But when dad arrived he was outside in the car and rang her and asked u told mum to tell dad that I'm liable if anything happens to the child and I can not take responsibility if he reacts to it. She understood but I don't think dad was happy about it. Oh well!

Any way her mum is coming from brazil next week she forgot to tell me! She will do the runs!

Petshrinklj
22-04-2013, 05:52 PM
I can't get my head around the parents asking you to do that. I'd hate anyone else taking my kids for their jabs. I'd need to be there.

shortstuff
22-04-2013, 05:58 PM
my DS had more than his fair share of jabs when he was small, long story, I wouldnt have dreamed of letting anyone else take him. I dont understand how any parent would want their child to go through it without them there. Not that others are unable to show compassion or anything else the child might need but it is part of a parents role to support their child through as many of the tough times as possible.

Houlgated
22-04-2013, 07:27 PM
At my gp surgery when they send out the appointments for jabs they send a consent form for parents to sign if they are sending someone else with their child. I have known several parent (not mindee's) who just can't face taking their child for jabs so either get the other parent or relative to do it. Personally if my child has to go through having a jab I want to be the one to cuddle them afterwards...I would refuse to take any mindee for their jab or other medical appointment, IMO that is a parents job.

tess1981
22-04-2013, 08:10 PM
I have it written in my contract that i do not take children to the doctors unless i need to seek emergency medical attention.

I might have other children (which is nearly 100% of the time) and other peoples children in a waiting room for how ever long is not enjoyable.

its a parents job to console and comfort their child when i worked and my children were minded i took my children to all appointments...

parents need reminding we are the childminder - we mind the children not rear them as our own!!:panic:

winstonian
23-04-2013, 06:42 AM
I completely agree. They need 1-1 or their parents for this sort of thing. Also I hate injections, my mum or dh took all of ours for theirs after I cried more than the children! :blush: My excuse was that I was permanently hormonal having 3 babies in 3 years!