PDA

View Full Version : The moment the mum of your 18mth mindees puts advice on potty training on fb

FussyElmo
22-04-2013, 12:11 PM
:panic::panic::panic:

Well I had my say when he can tell you and he can undress himself.

Wouldn't mind but the child isn't talking yet.

No way am I having a 18month old potty training here.

Lucky everyone else is agreeing with me.

hectors house
22-04-2013, 01:13 PM
I would advise the parent to stay at home for a week, potty train child and then you will carry on! Good luck to her trying to potty train a child who as you say can't communicate their needs or get themselves undressed/dressed. I have a nearly 2 year old boy, I still haven't managed to persuade him to tell me when he has got a dirty nappy let alone tell me in advance. I have started leaving him for a bit after I have changed his nappy, standing up with jogging bottoms round his ankles but he has no idea how to pull them up himself.

I have said to his mum we may try potty training at the end of the summer but not before, unless his understanding of bodily functions changes dramatically.

TNT
22-04-2013, 01:17 PM
There is an 18 month old in the process of potty training at the playgroup I attend. Dad spends the whole morning asking if he needs the potty, hovering with the potty or cleaning up puddles of wee. This has been going on a month now, you would think they had got the message by now.:)

suziealderton
22-04-2013, 01:19 PM
arent some people stupid and why do they get so hung up on potty training!

Wheelybug
22-04-2013, 02:14 PM
arent some people stupid and why do they get so hung up on potty training!

I couldn't understand why my parents were suddenly becoming obsessed with potty training their children at around 2. However, we had recent training that involved a talk from a local Health Visitor on what they do at the 2 year check. Apart from telling us that they don't have time to read our 2 year checks :angry: and suggesting that if we have a concern we get parents permission to write it in the child's red book :mad: (duplicating paperwork??), they encourage parents to begin potty training !! That made me so angry, it explained the parents preoccupation with potty training, but totally undermined everything I was telling them, about waiting for signs that their child is ready. Not every child is ready at 2. I agree, there is no way I would be attempting to train an 18 month old without significant signs that they are ready.

Cathy

mrstom
22-04-2013, 04:38 PM
:panic::panic::panic:

Well I had my say when he can tell you and he can undress himself.

Wouldn't mind but the child isn't talking yet.

No way am I having a 18month old potty training here.

Lucky everyone else is agreeing with me.

Mum to one of my mindees (18mth) said the same to me last week!! She's been talking to the continence nurse at work who says from what mum has told her, LO is showing all the signs and she should start potty training!

LO can't dress/undress herself yet and as far as I've experienced doesn't tell you when she's soiled herself. The only time I know if she's pooed is by the bright red face and the stench wafting across the room! Mum on the other hand is adamant that at home she tells you when she's soiled herself.

I feel a potty training policy coming on...

Bob
22-04-2013, 06:31 PM
A good indicator of being ready to potty train is if the child uses alternate legs when going upstairs. That's obviously in addition to being able to communicate the need for the toilet.

LauraS
22-04-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't understand it either. Are parents that eager to save a few quid a week, or is it because they want to be able to show off that their kids were trained when they were mere newborns and they are.therefore geniuses.

I think the hassle of changing nappies is far outweighed by the hassle and stress of accidents so it can't be that.

tess1981
22-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Mum to one of my mindees (18mth) said the same to me last week!! She's been talking to the continence nurse at work who says from what mum has told her, LO is showing all the signs and she should start potty training!

LO can't dress/undress herself yet and as far as I've experienced doesn't tell you when she's soiled herself. The only time I know if she's pooed is by the bright red face and the stench wafting across the room! Mum on the other hand is adamant that at home she tells you when she's soiled herself.

I feel a potty training policy coming on...

I have had for about 3 or 4 years... parents need to be at home with the children for at least 1 full week starting on the saturday right through to the followin sunday. my policy states we will work together to potty train the child once the child is ready.... however if the child has more than 3 accidents a day a pull up will be placed on the child as i can not have other children in my care standing in pee puddles (or worse) if i do not see where the child has had an accident...
i also state how i will encourage and reward the child for good progress (cant be negative all the time ) but do highlight that at the end of the day if i feel the child is not ready i will not be able to continue as i have school runs and other children to consider