PDA

View Full Version : Tonsillitis

maryp0ppins
22-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Hi Can you help please

I see that Tonsillitis is no exclusion as its normally a virus which needs NO antibiotics

BUT

Tonsillitis which IS having to be treated with antibiotics is this catchable ??

Defo a dumb blond moment :)

Maza
22-04-2013, 11:13 AM
DD is on antibiotics for tonsillitis at the moment and so I have been googling away as you can imagine. Apparantly it is more common amongst students halls of residence types of accomodation where there is lots of contact with each other, amongst other groups of people which I can't remember now due to lack of sleep with poorly girl. I suppose yoou could control it with good hygiene etc. Why do you ask? x

AliceK
22-04-2013, 11:26 AM
All I can say is in the past 2 weeks I started with it, then DD got it, then DS got it and finally OH got it. DD ended up on antibiotics as her glands were so swollen as were her tonsils (she looked like she had mumps). It is a particularly nasty strain and if you get it you really know you've got it.

xxxx

little chickee
22-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Regardless of wheter it is contagious or needing anti biotics tonsilitus makes a person feel really poorly so i would be excluding on the basis of not wanting to be nursing a poorly child.

maryp0ppins
22-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks, I ask as I have a lo who at least every 8 weeks is coming with tonsillitis AND antibiotics, I usually say oh poor x and write out my medication forms etc as mum says you can't catch it if i make the suggestion "oh no I hope we don't all fall ill" But more times than not either me or my dds seem to be ill not long after with sore throats. The last time he had it & on antibiotics & he still came was last week of Easter holidays wed, thur & Fri. I had to close the following Monday tues & Wednesday as I was really poorly & although as a youngster had my tonsils out (16) i remember the feeling well & was convinced I had tonsillitis (without the tonsils lol)

chriss
22-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Isn't it up to you if you exclude ? It is your business, so whatever policies you want to put in place is up to you. I think we have to remember that if we let a child come who is ill in some way, we are risking it spreading to other children which to me is irresponsible.

On the financial business side of things, if the child exclused because of sickness, most of us get paid. If we get sick and have to close = no pay :eek: