PDA

View Full Version : Lost my mojo!

sprinkles
22-04-2013, 07:12 AM
I've totally lost my mojo :( it's taken me so long to get registered and now I am, I feel like I'm just being messed around by parents that are wasting my time. Feel like I may as well just give up now and find myself a different job.

If anyone finds my mojo can you please return it to me!

lynncjt
22-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Sorry to hear that - not nice!

It's a strange job - I started last August built up and was nearly full... Then one mum changed her job is working shift so have put her on a PAYG contract, one child will be going to school in August, and another will be moving to nursery full time as will get funded hours there! Back to square one again.

Maybe we can find out mojo together!

clareelizabeth1
22-04-2013, 08:45 AM
It is a job of highs and lows, but trust me the joys far surpass the lows. I have seen 10 babies take their first steps learn to sit, pull them selfs up count to 10 knowing that everything I have put in. I feel just as proud when a mindie learns something new as when my ds does. Hang in there the good times will come.

sarahmc
22-04-2013, 09:37 AM
I've been doing this job for 17 years and still have ups and downs. You have to treasure the good times and past the bad as an experience to be learnt by and then move on. Each parent and child is different and even now have things I still don't know. Your Mojo will return.

sprinkles
22-04-2013, 09:39 AM
I've been doing this job for 17 years and still have ups and downs. You have to treasure the good times and past the bad as an experience to be learnt by and then move on. Each parent and child is different and even now have things I still don't know. Your Mojo will return.

Yeah, I just feel like I'm never going to even get started. Business is so slow, think that's why my mojo has disappeared!

Chatterbox Childcare
22-04-2013, 09:41 AM
I feel down in the dumps on a Monday morning but by 11am I am back on top. It will all fall into place :)

sprinkles
22-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Yep, definitely lost the mojo! Just had an enquiry and can't even be bothered to reply :( it's a shift worker though and don't think I can accommodate anyway as I can't do a Thursday. I just want an enquiry I can actually take on!!

Kirstylob
22-04-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm sure something will come along soon. Think positive and contact your enquiry, it might be just what you can offer!
Good luck. X

sprinkles
22-04-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm sure something will come along soon. Think positive and contact your enquiry, it might be just what you can offer!
Good luck. X

I know, I made that sound terrible when I said I couldn't be bothered - I just meant I have no motivation. I don't like shift workers as I have to charge them for days they aren't here but use another week and it seems like loads of money. It could be anything from 1-4 days so I'd need to charge them for 4 days every week.

Kirstylob
22-04-2013, 10:47 PM
I have a parent who works on a 4 week rota and each week is different! Its a ****** nightmare. Some weeks i have the child 4 days and the next week 1 day. I charge full rate for when they are here and a retainer for the days they don't use in the other weeks. Mum was very good and understood that she needed to pay to keep his place as each week was different. I think it helped that he was already here and the stupid rota was for a new job.
At least if you follow it up you will know exactly what they need. If it fits all well and good but youv'e got nothing to lose. Maybe your mojo will return with a new child starting?!

sprinkles
23-04-2013, 05:56 AM
I have a parent who works on a 4 week rota and each week is different! Its a ****** nightmare. Some weeks i have the child 4 days and the next week 1 day. I charge full rate for when they are here and a retainer for the days they don't use in the other weeks. Mum was very good and understood that she needed to pay to keep his place as each week was different. I think it helped that he was already here and the stupid rota was for a new job.
At least if you follow it up you will know exactly what they need. If it fits all well and good but youv'e got nothing to lose. Maybe your mojo will return with a new child starting?!

Yeah this one could be the same as yours!! Do you just charge half fees for retainer?

I just want a child to start! I'm still stuck in an office doing a job I quite dislike!

winstonian
23-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Fingers crossed it all picks up for you soon. It can take ages to get started but then everything comes together xx

Kirstylob
23-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Morning, the child in question is now at school so slightly different charges now. I will dig out my old records later and PM you with some details.

CLL
23-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Maybe your feelings for your current job is what is making you unhappy rather than the slow start to your business. It took me 3 months to find my first one, remember all new businesses take time. Sometimes people are lucky and there is more demand in their area. Is there anyway you could leave your current job? Maybe do temping for a while? Keep your head up and keep going, by the end of the year you will wonder why you ever felt like this. :)

sprinkles
23-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Maybe your feelings for your current job is what is making you unhappy rather than the slow start to your business. It took me 3 months to find my first one, remember all new businesses take time. Sometimes people are lucky and there is more demand in their area. Is there anyway you could leave your current job? Maybe do temping for a while? Keep your head up and keep going, by the end of the year you will wonder why you ever felt like this. :)

I think you're probably right. There's only two of us in the office and I can't stand the other girl, but neither can most of the people here!

Just had a reply from the mum I saw last week, she's now had a family member offer to look after her wee one so after quite a few meetings I'm now back to square one again!!

hectors house
23-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Why don't you get some cheap business cards printed on Vistaprint and stand outside a second hand baby equipment sale (NCT or similar) and hand out your cards - everyone there will be a parent/ grandparent or expectant parent (other than the childminders trying to get some new equipment). Good luck, once you get one and start going out to toddler groups etc I'm sure more enquiries will follow.:)

KatieFS
23-04-2013, 12:31 PM
I feel your pain. I was working at the same time as going through registration. Took me about 6 months to get registered then about 5 to start childminding. I'd had a few interviews with parents and in the main I didn't think they would fit with me, then one parent gave me a chance and she is still with me a year later! It's actually my childminding anniversary today!
It's very uppe downe I'm full at moment but come sept I need more hours! Had a few enquiries but you can never tell until that contract us signed.
Give yourself a timescale. Say 6 months and review after that
I'm sure you are but are you marketing your uysiness effectively, ie libraries, dictors surg (tjink of new mums!) nursery/school you can cover get cards leaflets printed net mums, Childrens centres? did pay for a time on childcare web and sent lots if messages. Response rate wasn't good but did get my first mum from there!
Try not to lose hope, we have all been there... :)

sprinkles
23-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks everyone. I ordered some flyers from vista print yesterday so waiting for them to arrive. In the meantime I've emailed all the local schools and nurseries, and the local library, asking if they allow flyers to be put up or if they keep contact details for any parents who may be looking for childcare. I've only heard back from the library so far and they said I can drop a flyer in and they will keep my details on record.

Once the flyers arrive I will ask at the supermarkets, local paper shops etc and get some handed out.

I'm on childcare.co.uk but no parents in my area on there. I've also advertised on Facebook, netmums and gumtree. Have emailed my LA, just awaiting someone returning from holiday to send me out a form to get on the childcare list.

I do have two little ones lined up to start late June/early July one day a week (no contract signed yet though) so hopefully I only have a maximum of 7 weeks left to work here (got a fortnight off in May).

Fingers crossed!!!