PDA

View Full Version : yikes NVQ3 childcare is intense!!

georgeypie07
21-04-2013, 05:43 PM
wooooo this course is very intensive, anyone else think so or just me??

kp0781
21-04-2013, 06:09 PM
I've just finished mine and waiting for the certificate. What are you finding intense? The content or the volume of work? It gets easier as you can start cross referencing and you've had some observations done. It a relief it's all over and I'm pleased I've done it. Good luck. There is some online help. I can't remember the website but if you type in the question you will get help .

georgeypie07
21-04-2013, 08:51 PM
i think its the massive volume of work and my assesor has not set me much time to do it!!

KatieFS
21-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm doing diploma which is level 3. About half way thru. Yes alot if work but set myself a schedule of what hours I can study etc. I'm doing the course home based, which now I'm in the thick of it perhaps not a great idea as not able to ask questions as readily
Any on line help would be great ...suggestions?

kp0781
22-04-2013, 06:53 AM
I did mine at a weekly evening class and maybe
a couple of hours in the week. It was an 18-24 month course and I did it in 18 months and had a baby in that time too. How long have you got to complete it?

georgeypie07
22-04-2013, 06:57 AM
well the assessor has given me 12 months, its all based at home but i work full time and have 3 children under 7 of my own! i find myself staying up till early hours of morning to try and get it done! ive never been a 'natural learner' so its frazzling my brain haha!!

TraceyC
22-04-2013, 01:29 PM
I started the level 3 cache cypw course in March and must finish it by 31st December. I am finding it hard as I childmind 4 long days a week (and I am full) and I have a 5 year old, a 4 year old and a 2 year old of my ownI am struggling abit - the work load is enormous. By the time the kids have been collected, I tidy up, I put my 3 to bed and have my dinner, it is around 9 pm - that's when I get to sit down and do coursework. I often get up at 4 am to do it. I find it very hard to get anything done on weekends as I am looking after my children and catching up on chores and family life. I have my last tutored session tonight and then I am on my own with my text book!! I have got a professional discussion this week and observation next week to prepare and feeling abit stressed.

Why don't we all form a work buddy group?

CH1957
22-04-2013, 01:42 PM
The Silky Steps website helped me a lot when I was doing my home-based Level 3 Diploma CYPW.

KatieFS
22-04-2013, 04:27 PM
I have until jan to complete. I started last October. So far workload is ok. Whenever I have visit planned I find that takes up lots more time. I childmind 4 days a week. 2 kids of my own. Alot to fit in especially if something else is going on, birthdays, term reviews. I try to plan 8-10 hours s week and generally it seems to be enough. its time consuming when you have to look and investigate via internet.
Also I've noticed I seem to get short timescales on some tasks. Had a bit if a bumpy start with the company, not sending some stuff then duplicate tasks, sometimes not giving me much time for lots of work. But seems better since I raised it with my assessor.
A support group so like a great idea! I'd be up for it!!

georgeypie07
22-04-2013, 04:49 PM
yes i am up for a support group!! im wondering why we dont have any tutorial type sessions, we just have the txtbook and thats it!! nice to know im not alone though!!

Boo_Bear
24-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Can we set up a coursework buddy link. I have just started it and it all seems so daunting. Xx

georgeypie07
24-04-2013, 12:23 PM
yes good plan, im a bit of a technophobe so wouldnt have a clue how to do it, if anyone knows how tjen brilliant. and yes it is really daunting, ive just finished equality and diversity and it actually hurt my brain!! haha

KatieFS
24-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Sorry I'm not great at that stuff either. How would we go about it

georgeypie07
24-04-2013, 12:44 PM
hmmm have no clue!! maybe boo bear knows?

vals
02-05-2013, 09:40 PM
I started mine recently, with Jace training. Its all online with 3 or 4 visits. I have no idea how I will get it done. I find it so hard to concentrate. I have no idea if I am writing enough. I don't really like the website its all on either. I am hoping I will get into it more as time progresses. My daughter is also doing hers but with a different company via the nursery she works at. My motivation is getting it done before she does - but she works really hard at it and doesn't seem as distracted as me.
To be honest, I have so far found it pretty boring, will be glad when its over, I don't think I will do anymore big training after that unless I have more time.

KatieFS
03-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Are we all in different areas of country? I'm in Chertsey surrey.

Could we not keep adding to this thread as a start?
My next visit and obs is 14 June. So much to do.. Asahhhh

georgeypie07
03-05-2013, 12:53 PM
im on the isle of wight! shame we dont all live near to each other haha!! ive just finished equality and diversity and found it quite hard going! im hoping to use this qualification for a bit of a job change in the future, still working with children just not a childminder!

rickysmiths
03-05-2013, 01:13 PM
I started the level 3 cache cypw course in March and must finish it by 31st December. I am finding it hard as I childmind 4 long days a week (and I am full) and I have a 5 year old, a 4 year old and a 2 year old of my ownI am struggling abit - the work load is enormous. By the time the kids have been collected, I tidy up, I put my 3 to bed and have my dinner, it is around 9 pm - that's when I get to sit down and do coursework. I often get up at 4 am to do it. I find it very hard to get anything done on weekends as I am looking after my children and catching up on chores and family life. I have my last tutored session tonight and then I am on my own with my text book!! I have got a professional discussion this week and observation next week to prepare and feeling abit stressed.

Why don't we all form a work buddy group?

I would query that. Why are they expecting it to be done in half the time it is designed to be done? That is not fair. Also how come your last tutor session is so far away from the end of the course? How many home observations have they already done and have yet to do?

I did mine via one study day a moth on a Saturday. We had 13 study days and a coup;e of moths after the last one to pull any loose ends together. We had 6 home observations and Professional Discussions during the 13 months as well.

toddlers896
03-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I've nearly finished the level 3diploma and have done it in half the time but that's only because I like everything done yesterday,not because I found it easy.I struggled to work out what the questions meant but the Internet is a wonderful source and helped me heaps.good luck.let me know if you are stuck on anything and I will help as I've had all mine signed off.x

KatieFS
03-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Yes trying to get mine done before end of year.

KatieFS
03-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Sorry pressed too early!

Also meant to say I'm looking at different career options sometime in future, while happy childminding for now, and course has been great for that too, looking for something different at some point

Boo_Bear
06-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi ya I am not too sure how to set something up either. Maybe If we start a new thread that would be designed for us to chat about our level 3. I can do that. I had my first observation on wednesday and what a disaster, the little one I normally have was ill so wasnt in, and ive been told I cant use my own child as part of it even though she is in my numbers. Oh well may take her ages to do obs on me then as he now only comes 2hrs 4days a week and the others are school age. Been given my first task. And I am dying to start it but just dont seen to have the motivation to sit for an hour doing it lol. Xx

georgeypie07
06-05-2013, 10:50 PM
my last observation was an activity that promoted large motor skills, i got some huge pieces of paper outside with trays of paint and did scooter and bike wheel prints, my mindee was asleep when assessor came so i used my own little boy and she said was fine!
also just started 'health and safety' and jeeeeez what a mammouth amount of work that needs doing for it!!!!