View Full Version : dont know what to do. please advise

21-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Mentioned on here about a parent who wasnt happy about holiday retainer for july and august but now have further concern and need objective advice please

Parent wants to pay £100 retainer for her 2 boys but still send them 2 days at no extra cost. I've given her option of paying retainer of £100 and not sending children or paying £140 and sending them 2 days, she is going to let me know tomorrow what she intends to do.

On top of this she had a baby in March and i agreed to keep a place for the baby when she returns to work in September. No retainer or deposit has been paid for baby. She mentioned on Friday she may not return to work until January or later and cannot tell me yet about September.

In the mean time i have been asked to take a full time baby from one family and a 3 yr old boy 2 days a week from another family (baby wouldnt start till June).

As well as this i have been asked to take another 3 yr old in september 3 days a week.

So do i keep place for baby as verbally agreed or take on other children and tell parent i can no longer keep place?

hope this makes sense

21-04-2013, 01:52 PM
On the second issue I would explain that you cannot hold the place open indefinitely and that you have had another enquiry which you would have to seriously consider unless you can have assurances that you will be needed in September. I would be weary about keeping a place open till January, what if she changes her mind again and you have turned away work.

blue bear
21-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Sounds to me like mummy is in the driving seat with this contract,time to take control.
So mummy wanted a contract that ends in June for the two older boys, she does not want to pay a retainer for July and August and has verbally booked a baby place for September but is now asking you to continue to hold baby place u til January with no retainer.
You need to sit down with mummy and explain how the summer holiday retainer works, it retains the place it does not give her extra childcare (I take it that's how you normally work) however as per the contract she can end the contract in June and take the risk you will still have places in September. You have kindly kept open a baby place with no retainer and was willing to do so until September but you can not extend tht at is leaves you without income until January and you cannot afford to do that.
Obviously mummy can take the risk you will still have a place in January but you cannot guarantee that space as you are having other enquiries.
Set put her options, say you need a decision by the end of the week,you love looking father her children but you need to be earning money to pay the bills.

Personally I'd be giving notice for June and not taking on baby either and then filling my places, I don't hold places like you have, I say if another family comes forward and willing to pay before baby family is due to start they get first refusal to start paying or I take on the new contract s I can't afford to hold place long term with no income and no real guarantee the baby will start.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-04-2013, 03:22 PM
I think only you can decide. Maybe mum will come back tomorrow and say no to your proposal, if she does just say "I am sorry i cannot do this, please put your notice in writing and we can finish on ... and agree a date"

then get it the new people

21-04-2013, 07:24 PM
I agree it needs to be very clear. I would expect a deposit/retainer to be arranged now before you turn the others away. Also a word of warning if you have 3 siblings all your eggs are in 1 basket so to speak and if they suddenly leave you have to fill all your spaces =, been there and had that worry, I would not do it again.

21-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Take control of your business and you will feel so much better when you so. Tell her what your working terms are then stick to them. If I am holding a place they pay £100 deposit for each month then want it held, they lose the deposit if they do not take it up. Its not a retainer but it works for me. You don't need to feel bad for having working terms and conditions and if you have others wanting places now is the time to get TOUGH!!! (punching the air!! :laughing:)

21-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I agree with veggiesausage!

21-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Time to tell this parent it's your way or the highway!

You have other enquiries so see them and then decide who you want to work with.

Miffy xx

jackie 7
21-04-2013, 10:00 PM
You arc kicky yo get the people wanting places. Don't loose them.

jackie 7
21-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Sorry just read that. Ment to say you are lucky to have people wanting places don't loose then to a mother who can't decide what she wants.

21-04-2013, 10:20 PM
If you take on the other child and the other mum decides she wants you to have the baby from January can't you still take that baby on as its a sibling of current mindees

21-04-2013, 10:26 PM
i'm not sure as i'm in northern ireland where rules are slightly different but will find out

22-04-2013, 08:20 AM
well, not sure what to think, after only 3hrs sleep.

Mummy came in all smiles and very chatty, so i presume she has accepted she has to either pay retainer or 2days care n 3days retainer.

Minding another baby on a temporary contract today so she is aware i have other work

22-04-2013, 05:23 PM
what a mad day!!!! mindee poked himself in the eye with toy just before lunch, ended up taking him to GP as mummy was on way to collect.

As we both sat in waiting room, she asked did she have to pay when i'm off for 2 weeks in summer, i dont charge for my time off. So she said we will pay what you're asking:clapping::clapping::clapping:

So thankfully we are over one hurdle

As for retainer for baby, will leave that for a few days as mindee may have to go to eye hospital tomorrow so dont wanna cause her too much stress

thanks for all your support