PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

handeme
20-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Evening everyone.

I am after a little bit of advice.

My Dad a few weeks ago with prostrate cancer, the outlook is good but in the meantime he has some difficult decisions to make with regards to his treatment.

He has been giving various options but the two he is thinking about we will impact my children. He is either going with Brachytherapy were radioactive seeds are implanted in his body. He won't be allowed to be close to the boys due to the radioactivity of the seeds for 2 months. He can give them a cuddle etc but can't be 0.5m near them for a prolonged period.

The second is removal which is major surgery so they will just need to generally be careful near him.

My boys worship the ground grandad walks on and I quite regularly find them all curled up together playing in the play room.

We obviously need to tell the boys grandad is going to be poorly not that he has cancer. Does anyone have any experience of what to say how to explain. They are 3 and 6 x x

sarah707
20-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Cancer research uk have some excellent children's books and will be able to give you advice and support xx

Koala
20-04-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't know what else to say, but wanted to send good karma and wish you all the best.

MrsP2C
20-04-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm sure they'll understand if you explain it in a simple non-scary way - my DC are the same age & past experience taught me they are amazingly pragmatic & resilient. On another note my uncle had the seeds therapy & made a full recovery without the need for major surgery which in itself carries risks let alone recovery time - it's an amazing treatment & I hope it's the right option for him.

The Juggler
21-04-2013, 08:22 AM
oh hon. sorry to hear your sad news. I would contact someone like Marie Curie or Macmillan as they have family support lines and the will be able to offer some advice I am sure. :thumbsup:

handeme
21-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks for everyones reply. I don't necessarily want them to know he has cancer more that he is ill.

I think I have come up with something and a fab friend came up with the idea of counting down the days till the boys can cuddle there Daddad x

MessybutHappy
21-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Have faith that your children will almost certainly deal with this far far better than you might expect! I'd be honest, explain about the distance rule, but that it means they may need to play across the table instead of sorting next to him for example. I'll bet they'll be far more inventive and accepting than we grownups who think inside the box the whole time!!! What ever decision he makes, it'll be the right one. Wishing you all the best in this, hugs.

ziggy
21-04-2013, 09:45 PM
my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer when my daughter was 8 and we were told he only had a year, we were as honest as possible with her at the time. He survived 13yrs.

pinky33
22-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Just wanted to send a hug. My dad was diagnosed last year but unfortunately prolonging life is the best it's gonna be.