PDA

View Full Version : Am I planning too much?

harleyrider
19-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Alot of my planning goes to waste. Is it because I'm planning too much?
I currently do *Seasons *Monthly themes *festivals. We only do 'planned' activities one day a week, due to groups and hours children attend. I find alot of planned activities dont get done, esp if I change to follow a childs interest. So I'm thinking of scaling down the amount of planning I do..What do you all do? How much do you cover? Are *Seasons and *festivals enough and allow the childs interests to 'fill the gaps'. I would appreciate your views.

Little miss
19-04-2013, 08:45 PM
I'd like to hear people's views on this too as I'm a bit of an over planner

Rick
20-04-2013, 07:44 AM
I do a weekly plan in the form of a table. One row for each day, columns for children present, what I plan to do that day eg toddler group/activity, resources required and evaluation of any activity done. If I can't fit it on one page then I'm writing too much. I also know planned activities don't always happen but I like to see at a glance what I'm doing that week and get resources accordingly.

I do an individual plan for each child which documents current interests or areas to help the child. It is only a line or two linked to EYFS. Some of this is incorporated into the weekly plan, sometimes the weekly plan has activities based on whatever festival or theme is happening. It sounds like a lot of work but I do a 'save as' of my sheet and most of the info is the same for the next week: toddler groups, children attending etc and I just amend the activities.

At the end of the day you should do what works for you. If you feel you are writing too much then trim it down a bit!

My sheet is in this thread in post number 8

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/paperwork-policies-procedures-permissions-forms-contracts-booklets/112458-should-i-write-planning-down.html

sarah707
20-04-2013, 08:16 AM
The most important type of planning - and the planning Ofsted will look for - is individual / next steps planning.

This is where you look at what a child is doing / saying in their observations, link to the Development Matters guidance and think of activities and experiences they will enjoy to extend / enhance their learning.

As well as this you MIGHT want to do some group planning - sometimes called themes - if you think it will work for you.

It is not a requirement - some inspectors look for it and others don't so it's a bit of a grey area.

I use it because it really works well for me and my children. The older children take a theme and run with it... I plan and change activities to suit the interests of the little ones...

Hth :D