PDA

View Full Version : designated officer training child protection

lou lou
19-04-2013, 03:25 PM
has anyone done this one day course yet that childminders now have to do I was wondering what it is like and how you got on

jolliesdean
19-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Hi,
I did it over two evenings, depends where you live, I found it interesting and it gave me more confidence.

Sarah

KatieFS
19-04-2013, 04:19 PM
We have to do it??? Is it on place of safeguarding!?

nikki thomson
19-04-2013, 04:35 PM
I have absolutely no idea what your talking about. Is this a new thing?, I've just redone my safeguarding as it was 3 yrs since id last done it but there was no mention of this, I must be living in that cave again, lol. X

JoRo163
19-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I did designated person training several times when I was deputy of a nursery. The only difference is that they go more in depth about how to actually make a referral. As far as I am aware, childminders don't need to do this, just the basic safeguarding is enough :)

lou lou
19-04-2013, 06:05 PM
well i think we now need to do it if you work on your own you need to ba a designated officer for child protection I rang up today and they now want childminders to be level 3 so you need to do this one day course which I thought I should book on as ofsted are coming next week so wondering if anyone else has done it

lou lou
19-04-2013, 06:08 PM
I did designated person training several times when I was deputy of a nursery. The only difference is that they go more in depth about how to actually make a referral. As far as I am aware, childminders don't need to do this, just the basic safeguarding is enough :)

when I rang up about it the lady said if you work on your own childminding you now have to do this course as they want you to be at a level 3 with the training now and then you update every 2 years with a refresher course

blue bear
19-04-2013, 06:20 PM
We have to do level three here, it's was two half days and a full day. Much the same as I done before to be honest.

ninagee
19-04-2013, 07:10 PM
I did the Designated Senior Person (DSP) course in Birmingham over two full Saturdays last year. This course was required to become accredited on Children Come First Network. I found it interesting and thought provoking. Looking back at my notes and handouts we covered:

Day 1
All the various key legislation and how it involves safeguarding
History of child protection
Quick refresher on the categories of abuse
Parent/professional behaviour
Roles and responsibilities of a dsp

Day 2
How to report concerns about children
Completing an Inter-agency referral form or referral by phone
Local Children's Safeguarding Board procedure
What the Children's social care are expected to...
Importance of recording and record keeping with real examples of mistakes made
Serious case reviews that hit the headlines
Birmingham Children's Services - what happens next with a referral and who gets involved
Multi agency working, data protection and Information sharing
Case study and the various reports submitted by different professionals - we had to discuss in groups what we would do next

That is just some of the things we covered!

Nina :)

Tazmin68
19-04-2013, 07:10 PM
We have to do it here in Birmingham as well. 2 day course plus the usual safeguarding course and both have to be updated every 2 years

JoRo163
19-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Well you learn something new every day! I better look into this - thank you!!

Rubybubbles
19-04-2013, 08:39 PM
I did it and found it really good having done a basic one 3 years before

Although now i have moved authorities and just found out I have to repet it to fit in with the 'local' area:rolleyes:

CLL
20-04-2013, 06:15 AM
My council would not let me do this course. I got so mad as on their booking sheet it said the course was for nursery management and childminders along with other professionals. I insisted on doing it and had a very heated debate with the safeguarding team admin, she told me I was JUST a childminder and as such I did not need to do it. I asked to do it anyway and they refused, I spoke to the management as well and my DO they all refused to let me attend. She then went on to read me the training booking form word for word and deliberately missed out the word childminder. I told her I had the same sheet in front of me! I am still mad (can you tell) I can not believe some of you are now being made to go on the course when I couldn't beg for a place.

Koala
20-04-2013, 06:20 AM
CLL that sounds :censored: typical of local councils, they have their head so far up their :censored: they can't see the wood for the trees, it's like peeing in the wind trying to get anywhere, I totally understand you frustration. feel for you.

Sometimes though I think 'It's not worth the fight' I think im getting old.

JoRo163
20-04-2013, 07:34 AM
I've checked and the DP course is only available to group settings, strictly no childminders. Perhaps it's a LA decision?

sarah707
20-04-2013, 08:17 AM
It depends on your LA!

All safeguarding courses must be LA approved - and they are making up their own requirements /calling courses different things.

Hth :D

jackie 7
20-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Oh dear. Does that not sound familiar la's making it up as they go along Will look into it.

KatieFS
20-04-2013, 10:35 PM
I find it so confusing when different la's do different things! Why?!?!!