PDA

View Full Version : I had forgotton what the school gate is like!

jelly15
19-04-2013, 02:42 PM
I have been minding for three and a half years now and never had to do a school run until this week. My DSs are grown up now so it has been a long time snice I was there. There are several groups of mums who can be heard bitching about teachers, neighbours and other peoples kids. As a new face I feel I am being watched/judged. Hope this feeling of dread at therr pm fades otherwise I am going back to just LOs.

sarah707
19-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Do you know anyone you can stand with?

If I am on my own I stand to one side and sing to the children.

Hugs xx

JCrakers
19-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Oh you are good Sarah...I have an image in my head as I type :)

I know what you mean about the school pickups...I'm getting to know less and less people to stand with as everyone grows up and leaves

VeggieSausage
19-04-2013, 03:50 PM
IGNORE....i do....

Optimalstar
19-04-2013, 04:19 PM
I think there are more childminders and grand parents than actual parents at one of the schools I pick up from.

Memina
19-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Im quite lucky as I know a few mums however as you walk in there is a clear divide.

Stay at home mums vs working mums vs hired help vs grand parents.

I just smile and only speak if spoken to. I have however found that people come over to ask when is baby due etc.

LauraS
19-04-2013, 08:28 PM
It's not nice sometimes, is it? I get a bit upset when I hear people being nasty about the teachers especially.

SammySplodger
19-04-2013, 09:00 PM
I know what you mean :-/
I live in an affluent area with many well off SAHMs who use CMs so they can go to Spas/shopping/lunch/sleep

I have managed to completely confuse some of them by going back to being a CM! Lots of comments like:
'Where were you hiding that one'
'Are they twins?!' (one is blue eyed and ginger, the other Chinese!)
I have to 'explain' who my Mindees are on almost a daily basis!
Many can barely hide their shock/surprise/whatever at my chosen career.
Very irritating... And RUDE!

Thing is, it could be viewed as a good 'business opportunity', but I'd really rather not work for Mums at my kids school...

SYLVIA
20-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Personally I don't get involved in what's happening in the playground. I'm working while I am there and am watching my mindees. I know a couple of cm's there but I tend to get there just in time to line up in the morning and in time for the doors to open in the afternoon

manjay
20-04-2013, 11:53 AM
What a shame it has to be like that:(

The school gate is probably my best marketing tool. They all see how marvelous I am at managing a brood of children and decide I am some kind of super woman:laughing:. I guess being a governor helps along with the fact that I care for teachers children so if they do have something to say they say it well away from me. And am I bothered? not in the slightest. I have a very successful business from which I earn a decent wage and so their tittle tattle has no affect on me whatsoever.

Stay strong Jelly15 and let them think what they want:thumbsup: