just spotted a red ring on a childs leg , im guessing ringworm and panicking

ive completely forgotten where to look

its not a notifiable disease , ive checked but do i exclude him

Kiddleywinks
19-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Exclusion not normally required, but treatment is :thumbsup:

cathtee
19-04-2013, 11:54 AM
I think once treatment has started no need to exclude, is the leg covered if it is then the spores cant spread not sure if u need to send home but need to let mom know so she can get to doctors before weekend sets in, not sure if you can get over the counter cream.

When mine were little they could go to school when they had it as long as it was covered with a plaster and being treated. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

hectors house
19-04-2013, 12:02 PM
The name of it makes it sound worse than it really is, although prompt action from parents will be required to ensure it doesn't get worse and no one else catches it. It isn't anything to do with a worm, its a fungal infection - similar to athletes foot. My husband always had it on his arms when he worked on a farm, but I never got it.

phoenix2010
19-04-2013, 12:07 PM
ok is this it http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

i dont usually panic but know nothing about this

phoenix2010
19-04-2013, 12:09 PM
ah thanks , mum has collected , it was his time to go anyway

I said he can come back Monday as long as he sees a gp today and they start treatment immediately

I also asked her to buy some large plasters and cover it up when hes here , to prevent other children catching it

so glad its not actually a worm he he , I was spraying everything with anti bac :D

phoenix2010
19-04-2013, 12:14 PM
what would I do without you all :thumbsup:

Maza
19-04-2013, 02:25 PM
The name really does freak people out! I worked in a nursery once where it was spreading like wildfire, despite our precautions. Another year one child got it repeatedly but no one else in the class ever caught it. DH grew up on a farm and had it a lot (not sure what the link is). DD caught it once, no idea where from. Mindees never caught it. She just had some cream from GP. X

SDC34cr
19-04-2013, 03:40 PM
There is a lot of eczema around at the moment that looks similar my daughter had it in one place and my husband has it now on his face. Also recently a mindee has got some on his face too but all three doctors seen have said it isn't ringworm. Just seems strange to me that all have had similar symptoms but can't find a cause for it.

phoenix2010
22-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Funny you should say that

mum just text and they didnt take him to the doctor until this morning

and it is almost gone , so doctor didnt see the ring

and is saying that its probably excema , but i have never seen excema in a perfect circle like that , so anyway they have some cream but if its only excema cream then i wont be very happy if he has ringworm

they are bringing hi in an hour or so , so i will find out what treatment he has

i told them that he could come back today if they took him to the doc and started treatment on friday , why do i waste my breath !!!

phoenix2010
22-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Ive looked online at pictures of eczema in a circle and its called Nummular eczema and that is definitely not what I saw

It was a perfect red circle with nothing in the centre , and looked like all the pics Ive seen of ringworm , so they better have an anti fungal cream

FussyElmo
22-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Ive looked online at pictures of eczema in a circle and its called Nummular eczema and that is definitely not what I saw

It was a perfect red circle with nothing in the centre , and looked like all the pics Ive seen of ringworm , so they better have an anti fungal cream

If the doctor has dianogsied exzema and has prescribed cream Im not sure what the parents are to do here.

phoenix2010
22-04-2013, 10:10 AM
They have an anti fungal cream , the Dad insisted it was ringworm as he had it alot as a child, so he knows what it looked like.
Even he said the doctors diagnosis was wrong :rolleyes:

phoenix2010
22-04-2013, 10:14 AM
I would have asked them to start treatment with an anti fungal cream that can be purchased over the counter

I made it clear I was happy to have him as long as it was being treated , I dont want to be in a position of having to explain to other parents why their child has caught ringworm at my house

If the doctor has dianogsied exzema and has prescribed cream Im not sure what the parents are to do here.