PDA

View Full Version : Childminders giving up in my area

JCrakers
19-04-2013, 11:23 AM
I was catching up with another minder this morning at soft play. She said there has been 6 minders give up recently in the area with 2 more giving up shortly. She said although shes sticking at it, she's had enough of all the news and changes that are in the air.
Oh dear...doesn't sound good around here although I don't know who all the minders were, they could have been doing it for years or could have been newish.
She asked me if I listened to the stuff this morning but fortunately I didn't watch or listen to it as I've had enough of listening to everyone put us down :(

mum24
19-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Same here, I know four who are finishing soon, and two newly registered who have decided not to go ahead.
The rest of us are all going to need new business after the summer to remain sustainable.
I only caught the headlines on the news this morning, but it seems to be more and more pressure on all the wrong areas all the time.
It is very difficult to remain upbeat with all this going on :-(

MiniKins
19-04-2013, 11:43 AM
This is what we want of course ~ skilled and experienced minders giving up! Otherwise, how on earth would there be enough work for Agencies and those forced to train as CMs under government-funded programmes?

…That may have sounded a little facetious.

watgem
19-04-2013, 12:08 PM
funny this was discussed at our CM group this work, several very experienced and qualified Cms thinking of giving up:(

Ripeberry
19-04-2013, 12:19 PM
It so depressing that I can't even write about it :(

The Juggler
19-04-2013, 12:59 PM
lots round here giving up. Mainly were getting ready to anyway (children going to high school etc) but MGC has just put the nail in the coffin for them :panic:

kp0781
19-04-2013, 01:00 PM
I have just had a look at headlines as I didn't know what you were referring to. Isn't it just cm's who are satisfactory or unacceptable that this will effect? I may be a little naive ( and not trying to be argumentative) but isn't it a little early to give up? I won't be unless I am personally affected and can't fill gaps. Loads of people gave up when eyfs came in as some just don't like change. I may change my tune if I can't fill vacancies but I truly believe there are parents out there who prefer the cm option and will be able to see through someone who 'made' to do it rather than someone who is passionate about it. I'm just trying to do the best I can and get a solid reputation. Do I need enlightening ???? :-)

Nicola Carlyle
19-04-2013, 01:02 PM
I have just had a look at headlines as I didn't know what you were referring to. Isn't it just cm's who are satisfactory or unacceptable that this will effect? I may be a little naive ( and not trying to be argumentative) but isn't it a little early to give up? I won't be unless I am personally affected and can't fill gaps. Loads of people gave up when eyfs came in as some just don't like change. I may change my tune if I can't fill vacancies but I truly believe there are parents out there who prefer the cm option and will be able to see through someone who 'made' to do it rather than someone who is passionate about it. I'm just trying to do the best I can and get a solid reputation. Do I need enlightening ???? :-)

I have to agree. This is very much how I feel to. x

emily79
19-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Ive just signed up 2 more children due to their previous minders giving up one did so without notice parents said see you next week she said no you wont im giving up I cant take it anymore! Thing is there arent anymore cm's around my area so luckily I work with a co-minder we can have 8 children between us and we are rammed and having to turn some children we have had on an ad hoc basis away as we just cant fit them in we are hoping to move to a bigger setting soon so we can accommodate the children as we also have an assistant aswell .We are literally having to use every hour we can to fit people in .