PDA

View Full Version : Accident Form?

melco
19-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Hi,

When a lo I mind was dropped off this morning I was doing hand over at front door with his mum and lo had a tantrum and then threw himself back and hit his head. It was on a cupboard in the hall so was not that hard as if it had been a wall. He had a little cry and me and mum rubbed his head and he was fine. Mum said he does it all the time at home so don't worry about it and as she witnessed it not to worry about accident form or anything as she can see he fine but even though she said that would you still do an accident form?

Thanks

melco

cathtee
19-04-2013, 10:38 AM
I think to cover yourself if you could just do a note in daily diary or a note rather than a full accident sheet to say mom was there at time and get her to sign it

bunyip
19-04-2013, 10:42 AM
I would complete an accident form for 2 reasons.

1. It pays to be consistent and show 'due diligence' as well as recording your view of the incident. Even minor blows to the head can result in a delayed reaction, sometimes days later. Irrespective of what she says now, mum remains entitled to raise this matter in a week, a month, a year. It will be no excuse in the eyes of Ofsted, Social Services or some ambulance-chasing lawyer to say you didn't bother cos mum saw it happen.

2. The child retains the right to pursue damages when they become an adult, beyond the time when mum can make that decision for him. So you should make and keep a record just in case.

IIWY, I'd make a note that mum was there and she regarded it as quite trivial at the time.

Btw, does your collection/drop-off policy make it clear that mum is responsible for her lo whenever she is at your setting? It's the worst single time for accidents as children show off, play up, and often sense that all the adults are distracted and each thinks the other is taking responsibility. :p

serin
19-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Mine is an accident book so I write it down and they sign. Its quick and easy. It depends how I feel but sometimes I leave it in this type of situation. Doesnt hurt to fill one out though

LauraS
19-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Absolutely, if it happened on the premises during minding time. If he turned out later to be concussed, then it's your word against theirs (or their solicitors)

Petshrinklj
20-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Hi I think it's always best to err on side of caution. So I'd fill in the form.