PDA

View Full Version : Facebook pages

kp0781
19-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi I have set up a FB page as a closed group for my family (I only have one). They are the only members and I use it to post pics that I take through the day. They have signed a permissions form. Can anyone see a problem with this? Thanks

cazbo05
19-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Hi I have set up a FB page as a closed group for my family (I only have one). They are the only members and I use it to post pics that I take through the day. They have signed a permissions form. Can anyone see a problem with this? Thanks

Hi been thinking of doing the same, will look forward to some of your replies

Kirstylob
19-04-2013, 06:53 PM
I also have a Facebook page for my Childminding. I have made it a 'Secret' group and only people I invite can even know it exists. All my parents have signed a permission form and I clearly state that I have set the privacy/security settings as high as I possibly can. The only people I invite are my current parents. Once a child leaves I delete and block the parents. I have also blocked myself so that any of my Facebook friends can't see my Childminding page.

I take lots of photos and put them into scrapbooks for the parents but they only go home once a term and sometimes I just want the parents to see a funny picture - for example one little boy this week was clearly exhausted after pre-school and fell asleep eating his lunch, it made a lovely picture and one his mum loves - or if we have been on a outing, what we have been doing. Waiting until the end of term seems a long time to wait to see photos but I couldn't get them done any quicker and Facebook seems to ideal way to please everybody.

Lots of childminders seem to have websites with photos that anyone can access, at least with Facebook we can make a closed or secret group. Surely that's safer?

sarah707
20-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Please don't forget that if you use electronic equipment or websites to store information about a child including photos you must be registered with the Information Commissioners Office -

Data Protection and Freedom of Information advice - ICO (http://www.ico.gov.uk)

Hth :D

jellytots2912
20-04-2013, 10:07 AM
My inspector told me it wasent compulsory and that it was just good practice x

CLL
20-04-2013, 11:01 AM

Mine told me this as well, but it is not true. You must be registered.

twinkletots
20-04-2013, 11:05 AM

Anyone that holds data electronically (including photos) MUST be registered with ICO. It's not only good practice but a legal requirement.

I think this is because of data leaks on websites which then covers your back etc. if I was you I would register. It's only thirty something pounds a year and worth every penny for peace of mind... Hope this helps :)

kp0781
20-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks for your replies. I'm on to the ico notification after 'pay day' :-) The parents love so a shame not to be able to continue. I've not heard if a secret group so will look into that

karensmart4
20-04-2013, 08:29 PM
I have a fb page but I don't put minded children's photos on there, I put information, requests, photos of activities etc.

When a child does something I'd like to share with their parents I either take a photo and send it to them via mobile or I take a pogo photo and put it in their daily diary, the parents appreciate these and have been told by one parent that they were feeling really down at work then received a photo that made them smile for the rest of the day :)

kp0781
20-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Karen this is not my business FB page but a page for just me and the parents. I am going to set up a general FB page so potential parents can see it and may well post pics of my own children taking part. I just think it makes a nice log for them and is like an extension to their home link book. Btw what's a pogo photo? Thanks

karensmart4
20-04-2013, 09:30 PM
I wasn't getting at you ... I hope you don't think that I was :blush: As long as it's secure I'm sure the parents will love it :)

A pogo photo is a little 3in x 2in polaroid picture, I have a Pogo Camera that prints them out, I use them all the time, they are the perfect size for the lj's as well as the daily diaries... you can buy a Pogo printer that links to your mobile as well.... they are sold on Amazon ...oh and the photos are self adhesive as well :thumbsup:

room2grow
20-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Mine told me this as well, but it is not true. You must be registered.

But isn't best practice what you want to be doing?

CLL
20-04-2013, 09:51 PM
But isn't best practice what you want to be doing?

Not sure what you mean? It is not really a case of best practice or not, it is compulsory.

kp0781
21-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Karen I didn't think you were getting at me!!! Thats the trouble sometimes with these things they can be misinterpreted!!:-)

room2grow
21-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Not sure what you mean? It is not really a case of best practice or not, it is compulsory.

I know it's compulsory so everyone should do it.

Just whenever I see "it's best practice" some people see it as a get out clause, bit surely everyone wants to be doing best practice. :)

jellytots2912
21-04-2013, 09:42 AM
I don't see it as a get out clause but I do see the ico as a way of the government making more money out of us

dusky777
24-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Ive also been thinking about this but my though was if someone left id delete them but then I would have to delete all the pics the child was in. The other idea I had was start a new group everytime someone left but I don't know if you can have multipule pages?

Tealady
25-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Ive also been thinking about this but my though was if someone left id delete them but then I would have to delete all the pics the child was in. The other idea I had was start a new group everytime someone left but I don't know if you can have multipule pages?

Or you get permission signed to say yes you can post LO's pic on FB page and that also means it will remain there after they go.

You could then take each case on it's own basis should somebody leave and want their child's photos removed.