PDA

View Full Version : Summer holiday retainers

mummylovatt
19-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Morning all :)
I have been looking after a little boy full time and his brother before and after school since Sept last year when their Mum started uni, Contracts are signed and a seperate document on my fees and retainers ( 50% retaining fee during the holidays taken by mum/children) also signed. Thing is mum came this morning to drop boys off and said they will only be with me for a few more weeks as uni finishes next month, she has said that the uni only fund childcare during her term time not school term time. We havent had this issue before as the october half term she was still in uni, christmas hols I close anyway so no charges made and over Easter I charged for 1 week retainer and the other wasnt charged as I had a weeks holiday. It looks now like she intends on finishing them with me next month and doesn't think she will pay retainers :( I understand if her uni won't fund holidays she can't afford to pay but I really can't afford to loose 3 months pay! It's a difficult situation as I only have them and 1 other family that are just 1 day a week. We live in a small village so chances of getting another full timer are slim at short notice. Help!!! I really dont know how to go about this, anyone else have childcare funded by uni?

bunyip
19-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Sorry, this might just be me being dim, but I don't understand the issue in question. You say, "...she intends on finishing them with me next month and doesn't think she will pay retainers." My understanding of this is that you think she'll be terminating the contract. So, why should she need to pay anything once she has terminated the arrangement? :confused:

phoenix2010
19-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Are they coming back i September , if not then you are not entitled to any pay once they have seen out the notice period

If she plans to finish for the holidays then restart them in September then you will have to make it clear that you may fill their spaces as you cant afford a drop in pay over the summer

I have a mum at uni and when she started we filled in a form together , mum wanted to fill it in for 52 weeks of the year and I wasnt about to argue , so thats what our contract states , and the Uni agreed to pay it

mind you my mum is a nursing student so childcare situation is very different to a regular student

You should have signed the childcare form that she got from Uni

mummylovatt
19-04-2013, 11:48 AM
opps not hugely clear there:o she is bringing them back in Sept when term starts again, I ment to put that she was finishing for the summer.
As for the uni contract, the only thing I have filled in for the uni is a form that wanted my details, name address registration details etc and at Christmas time they sent me a form to fill in listing what hours mum had paid me for from Sept to Christmas.
It does say in our contract and on another fee/holiday document that I charge a retainer and she has signed both of these so knows my policy, if she doesn't pay a retainer it more or less means I will be without a wage for June, July and August.

sharonmanc
19-04-2013, 11:53 AM
No retainer then you cannot guarantee the place in September, as you will have to advertise as you say 3 months is a long time

ziggy
19-04-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm in same position with a teacher who will only receive maternity pay in july n august.

Not sure how people expect us to go without a wage all summer

I really dont have an answer but in my position i am going to look for other children if mummy wont/cant pay retainer

I can only suggest you do the same.

Could you take on schoolies over the holidays to help?

phoenix2010
19-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Well as long as she realises that you will be looking for other mindees and cant guarentee her space when she needs it

If she is returning to do the same course , ie its a 2 or 3 year course she is in the middle of then im surprised that uni dont realise that holidays need to be retained

although 3 months is a long time for a uni to cover so i can see them having this rule

i would start looking now if i was you :(

you cant make her pay a retainer if she is giving you notice , and that is what she will have to do , then contact you later to see if you still have a space

manjay
19-04-2013, 12:33 PM
I care for children whose fees are paid by student finance whilst mum is at Uni. This will be the third year and funding has always continued through the holidays. Mine finish this year but that is only as mum has come to the end of her course. Has she definitely checked that they won't pay?

phoenix2010
19-04-2013, 12:41 PM
hmmm i suspect they pay , but shes keeping it for herself , but then im naturally suspicious

but if thats the case she will come unstuck when she needs to have you fill the form in again , unless she plans to resort to forgery of course

mummylovatt
19-04-2013, 02:01 PM
I thought it a little odd as all childminders I have spoken to charge retainers, and when I first took these children I asked on here advice from other minders with uni/college mums and all said that they uni funded the retaining fees
its a 3 year course and she only started in Sept.
Will have a chat this evening, she did say she was going to speak to student finance and clarify that they only pay during the uni terms. I'm pretty sure I still have the email address of the finance people from when they first contcted me for my reg number, may be worth me emailing them to clarify the situation
Best start advertising summer holiday places, thanks ladies! xx

mummylovatt
19-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Well have been onto student finance (did it anon so doesnt get mum in trouble if I am jumping the gun) and they have confirmed they DO pay during holidays aswell as term payments. They pay students 3 times a year at the start of each term. Hmmmmmmm :confused:

ziggy
19-04-2013, 05:05 PM
oh dear, that's not nice if she has knowingly lied to you

have you decided what you're going to do?

izzy23
21-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Have you spoken to mum yet? You could just say, you have been through this situation before and know from experience of yourself and other minders that university does cover the holidays fees in 99% of circumstances, that way you can let her know you are aware without fully disclosing that you went onto student finance. If she sticks to her guns (mistruths ::blush:) then make it very clear, no retainer, no place guaranteed in September.

blue bear
21-04-2013, 02:40 PM
I'd be honest say I have rung and checked she will get Payment right through, so take it she will be sticking to original contract and that I bet she is relived to have that worry off her mind because no way could I hold the place open with three months no money. Nice and light hearted, glad I've helped you out attitude.

phoenix2010
22-04-2013, 08:47 AM
ooops she was planning on keeping the money then :(

mama2three
22-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Id be all smiles and greet her with..ooh Ive got some good news for you! Ive spoken to student finance and they are paying year round including the holidays so you dont need to worry about maybe losing his place here :D

mummylovatt
23-04-2013, 10:32 AM
mum is picking up this evening ( dad came last night so didnt get a chance to speak) so will go down the route mama2three suggests all smiley and helpful :)
thanks ladies xx