PDA

View Full Version : Money v Less Hours

Daisy De
19-04-2013, 07:21 AM
I know this is my decision but just after other people's opinions.

Have had a few enquiries recently :clapping: and wonder what way I should go. Two enquiries are 7-5, five days a week possible later pick ups due to Mum's job which she has been upfront about (baby), but big money and another baby 8.30-1.30 five days a week, not so much money, but better hours as I normally finish by 4.

Pros for the first enquiry are I am on my own and the big bucks would mean a few extras rather than just about managing to pay the bills with nothing left over. Cons would be I am 50 now and would have 2 full timers and one part timer under 5, I love my job but do find it very tiring with 1 full time and 2 part timers now, one of which is leaving. An extra full time baby to take his place would maybe be too much. I used to work four days a week which I loved and I am worried I will resent the later finishes and extra work.

So the dilemna is money v less hours/less stress what would you do? Is money everything? Personally I don't think so but it certainly would be very nice but is it worth the stress? :panic:

mama2three
19-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Money is only everything if its essential.

If you can manage perfectly well on the lower income , then of course you can put quality of life first. Sometimes its easy to say 'money isnt everything' but if youre struggling financially then it becomes a priority , and you take on more than you normally would like to to ease financial stress.

I hope one day to be able to reduce children / hours , even get a day off. But at the moment its not an option - and I count myself lucky to have enough work / enquiries etc to be able to earn a decent income.

Kiddleywinks
19-04-2013, 07:41 AM
I have all part timers, 3 manic days, and 2 calmer days (thurs and fri) and recently turned down 2 enquiries because I have 2 at home and use my quieter days to catch up on housework and paperwork so my weekends are free for us as a family.
The money was nearly as much as I'm already earning, so almost doubling my income, but I'm shattered by Wednesday night as it is :laughing:

Yes, the extra money would be nice, but at what cost to you and your wellbeing?

Can you look at your costs and see what can be cut down there?
Changing gas & electric suppliers, insurance companies, changing to a water meter (I halved my water bill doing this!), phone/broadband deals, if you have sky or virgin do you really need it (I don't, and really can't justify over £50 a month for it as we hardly watch the tv anyway! Freeview is fine by me lol)
Shopping - make a list for the week, and only get what's on the list, withdraw a cash amount allowance for the week rather than using a card when you nip to the shop for top ups - I was horrified at the amount of money I was spending at my local shop :laughing:

Daisy De
19-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Can understand what you are saying mama2three, although surviving, just, on the money I earn at the moment there is nothing left over for treats or emergencies so maybe I should just accept I need to work longer hours and also "make hay while the sun shines" as this job is so unpredictable.

Also understand you Kiddleywinks, I would like to work to live rather than live to work just not sure I am financially stable enough to do so.

Oh the dilemna :confused:

LauraS
19-04-2013, 08:38 AM
I think that not having money for treats and emergencies would cause me more stress than working longer hours, but that's just me. I might work shorter hours if I had a good cushion of savings, but would probably accept longer hours if not.

I have a full timer becoming a schoolie in September and am so tempted not to replace her... having two little ones only would be a doddle! I daydream about it, lol, but I know I'll fill the space if I can :s

skatie
19-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Tricky! As the first enquiry is for a baby the likelihood is that it will be a number if years before he/she goes to nursery and you can reduce your hours. So are you prepared to work 7-5 for the next couple of years? Personally I would take on the second enquiry and advertise for adhoc care for the afternoons. Any money you get for the adhoc care could be your treats fund?

I'm about to take on siblings 7-5. 1 under x5 and 1 wrap around care. The only reason I'm taking it on is because I know the little one will be going to nursery in September which means I will get some time back but will earn some nice money in the meantime which is our Australian holiday fund for next year.

MiniKins
19-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Very tricky ~ whichever decision you make you'll probably question whether you made the right choice at some point in the future!

Take as much time deciding as you can ~ as you say, both have their pros and cons. Perhaps turn the question around: which is the one you might be least likely to regret?

bunyip
19-04-2013, 10:19 AM
The point at which "pressure" becomes "stress" is entirely down to this individual. So, sorry, but I cannot advise.

But I do hope you make the right decision that make you happy. :thumbsup:

MrsP2C
19-04-2013, 10:45 AM
It's so hard isn't it? I'm in a similar position in that at the moment I have enough money for the essentials but it's certainly not buying us any luxuries & we'd desperately love to take a family holiday sometime this decade!! My youngest starts school in September I so could take on another under 5 but all the enquiries have been babies for long (10+hours) days & with the 14 mth & 16mth old & 3 schoolies I already have I think it would tip the balance from hard but enjoyable to stressful.

I don't know the answer - although PT + ad hoc sounds good - but hope you make the right decision.

lubeam
19-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Hi daisy dee, we are in a similar position where we are just gettin by and some months not gettin by .
Our plan :
Work like crazy for the next 5 years to pay off all debt redecorate house etc etc and save up then reassess , hopefully outgoings will b a lot less so we can work less - will we take on more stuff that we have to pay out ? Maybe
Who knows , it's so hard defiantly want to b able to work to live but at the minute that seems like a dream lol

Well I've been no help :) good luck with deciding lol x

ziggy
19-04-2013, 11:04 AM
coming up to the age of 52 i think i would go for less money. As long as i have enough to pay bills and keep a little bit for emergencies i am happy.

sskent08
19-04-2013, 11:45 AM
your right, what is your work/life plan?

I want to work my socks over for the next few years to move house etc, so at the moment earning the money is really important

but it is hard getting a balance, if you worked full time, could you then afford a cleaner once a week to help you out

Hi daisy dee, we are in a similar position where we are just gettin by and some months not gettin by .
Our plan :
Work like crazy for the next 5 years to pay off all debt redecorate house etc etc and save up then reassess , hopefully outgoings will b a lot less so we can work less - will we take on more stuff that we have to pay out ? Maybe
Who knows , it's so hard defiantly want to b able to work to live but at the minute that seems like a dream lol

Well I've been no help :) good luck with deciding lol x

hectors house
19-04-2013, 12:27 PM
If it was just the longer hours I may consider it but give up my day off - NO WAY - it sometimes may be spend during childminding paperwork and attending training but that is my choice, I know that if I gave it up I may never get it back again. 50 is getting closer for me too and sometimes I think I should work harder now so we can have a better retirement but you don't know what life has in store for you. Someone said to me recently a saying she was told - something like "When you die no-one ever says - wish I had worked harder" Sorry to end on that gloomy note:D