PDA

View Full Version : Childminding and adoption - can you do both?

carrieboo
03-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Hi,

I am booked in to my unit 1 in September and last night we decided we would go ahead and try to adopt a longed for daughter. So my quesion is can we do both or do they look at each other as causing probs? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Caroline

carrieboo
03-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Forgott to say we are looking at a 4/5 year old not a baby, do not know if it matters!

angeldelight
03-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Hi Caroline

I was first introduced to childminding by a very dear friend who was years older than me - years ago

She was a foster mom and a childminder

She was really well known in my area because she looked after so many children and they all loved her

She went on to adopt some of the children and she still continued with her childminding

So I cant see there being a problem for you

Good luck with your childminding and hope the adoption goes well for you

Angel xxx

carrieboo
03-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Thank you,

I didn't dare ask the adoption people so soon in case it put a worry in their head that they hadn't thought about!

I'm so excited, I can't wait to get it all rolling.

Caroline

angeldelight
03-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Might be best though to get one or the other rolling first rather than both together - you know how these people get confused haha

Good luck

xx

ajs
03-07-2008, 07:19 AM
not sure of the answer although i think gerty has answered it for you. i just wanted to wish you lots of luck for the adoption and of course the minding xx

mrsb
03-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Good luck to you :) It's a wonderful thing to do :)

I have a couple of friends who are childminders, one of them has also been fostering for 15 years and everything has been fine for her. The other friend has been in the process of "signing up" for fostering for the past year but the fostering agency did actually originally say that she would not be able to childmind :eek: she discussed and discussed this with them explaining it would just be like the foster child having brothers and sisters etc and I think it is now ok.

sorry have rambled a bit, what I'm trying to say is I think each agency has different views.

Mind you adoption may be completely different to fostering childminding wise anyway

actually ignore me, i'm making no sense at all:o :laughing:

babyandchild
03-07-2008, 07:21 AM
You are truly lovely. Best of luck with the adoption and childminding, I'm sure it will all work out for you. xx

Pedagog
03-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Best of luck with the adoption and the childminding.

We are hoping to foster as well as child-mind.

Pudding Girl
03-07-2008, 08:04 AM
I know someone who was a childminder and had to give it up if she wanted to foster, but then that's not adopting though?

Best of luck for your future xx

angeldelight
03-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Yeah I think that does happen with regards to fostering and childminding think they like you to one of the other

My friend did it though and did it all her life - maybe they judge you on how long you have been doing one or the other or something ?

Angel xx

carrieboo
03-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Thank you for all the support. We were trying for a 4th child for the last two years with only one misscaraige to show for it, so this decision has lifted such a weight off our shoulders. The house is visably buzzing! No more worrying for my husband about what could go wrong during pregnancy and birth and a deffinate hope of a sister at last for my boys. As for me well I can start to finnaly allow my dream of daughter to become real.

We have contacted a forces (we are army, but do not travel around) agency which seems more relaxed than some of the other agencies and asked for a social worker to come and see us, so hopefully it will have moved along before my unit 1 starts in Sep. I am also crossing my fingers that as we are looking for an older child that our wait will be shortened.

So exciting!!!! sorry I can't help myself

Caroline

angeldelight
03-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Oh that is lovely Caroline you do sound really excited

Hope it all works out for you

Keep us posted

Angel xx