PDA

View Full Version : Learning intention/objective

b miller
18-04-2013, 12:37 PM
I am getting confused. What is the difference between learning intention and learning objective. I thought learning intention was dm statements

room2grow
18-04-2013, 12:41 PM
I might be wrong but there is no difference, they both mean what you plan the children to get out of an activity. However I have no realised most of the time my gang have their own learning objective.

sarah707
18-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Why do you think they are different?

I would say an intention and an objective are pretty much the same thing :D

b miller
19-04-2013, 09:29 AM
So is the dm statements what I need to to put on my planning sheet when it's asks for LI. It's on a short term plan sheet but I can't remember where I got it from. I am just trying different ways and paperwork to do planning on so it makes it easier for me and also to click in my brain so I do it right! Any suggestions very welcome x

sarah707
19-04-2013, 10:40 AM
So is the dm statements what I need to to put on my planning sheet when it's asks for LI. It's on a short term plan sheet but I can't remember where I got it from. I am just trying different ways and paperwork to do planning on so it makes it easier for me and also to click in my brain so I do it right! Any suggestions very welcome x

I don't use the DM statements because they are not very easy for parents to understand - I use my own wording.

Learning intentions follow on from observations for the little ones -

Jane is using her fingers to paint buds on a branch. She tries to count the marks she is making...

Assessment - link to art and design / maths

Next steps - more counting or more crafts etc

Then Jane's learning intentions for the following week might be to play more number games so she learns to count 1-2-3 - and sharing learning at home might be to laminate one of her favourite number songs to send home.

OR learning intentions can link to group activities for older children -

Your group activity is spring - making spring flowers. You then think about what each child enjoys doing -

Jane - finger painting flowers

jack - making flowers out of playdough etc...

Then you might be able to link the activities back to their learning intentions.

OR a child's learning intentions might be long term and linked to eg toilet training, being kind to others, sharing space in the garden etc. They can be anything you and parents think you might work on next with the child.

OR you might have shorter term learning intentions such as supporting a child with transition into nursery by reading books, taking photos of the nursery etc.

Learning intentions covers a lot of different things. You need to be clear in your mind what each child's learning intentions are - because an Ofsted inspector might ask you!

Hth :D

Tazmin68
19-04-2013, 11:09 AM
I am a member of PACEY ccf network I had my annual review on Tuesday and the coordinator gave me an action which was to put a couple of the DM statements in my observations at it would show another professional that I know and understand the DM. I know they have to find something but that was my action following mini inspection.

b miller
19-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't use the DM statements because they are not very easy for parents to understand - I use my own wording.

Learning intentions follow on from observations for the little ones -

Jane is using her fingers to paint buds on a branch. She tries to count the marks she is making...

Assessment - link to art and design / maths

Next steps - more counting or more crafts etc

Then Jane's learning intentions for the following week might be to play more number games so she learns to count 1-2-3 - and sharing learning at home might be to laminate one of her favourite number songs to send home.

OR learning intentions can link to group activities for older children -

Your group activity is spring - making spring flowers. You then think about what each child enjoys doing -

Jane - finger painting flowers

jack - making flowers out of playdough etc...

Then you might be able to link the activities back to their learning intentions.

OR a child's learning intentions might be long term and linked to eg toilet training, being kind to others, sharing space in the garden etc. They can be anything you and parents think you might work on next with the child.

OR you might have shorter term learning intentions such as supporting a child with transition into nursery by reading books, taking photos of the nursery etc.

Learning intentions covers a lot of different things. You need to be clear in your mind what each child's learning intentions are - because an Ofsted inspector might ask you!

Hth :D

I get the first bit Obs assess next steps - but wasn't sure about clear about child's learning intention. Do we decide what we think they should be learning and make it a statement first hen work with that ( not sure if that makes sense)

Little miss
19-04-2013, 02:01 PM
I always think of learning intentions/objectives as WALT - we are learning to. By putting it this way it encourages me to write it in such a way which also helps my planning/assessment. It also reminds me that the intention/objective does not need to be achieved in one go/activity/day as it is something to work towards.