View Full Version : planning permisson

18-04-2013, 11:46 AM
I am completely new to the forum and need some advice.

Being ready to register with OFSTED just read an information letter released by them which says that before registration we need to ask the local planning department if a planning permission is needed!

Is there anybody ever needed to do so?

I emailed them a week ago but no reply yet, and I don't dare to start registering until I get positive information in this case!

Thank you for any help!


18-04-2013, 02:10 PM
sorry never heard of that before but i'm sure someone will be able to answer the question for you.

18-04-2013, 03:31 PM
I did and its well worth doing it to cover yourself. They sent me a letter covering the conditions I need to abide by, its no different to what Ofsted say eg number of children you can care for at anyone time.

18-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I had to ask the planning department and am limited to 6 children of any age. Lots of people just get a reply to say that all is ok

18-04-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm glad you posted this. I didn't know about it.

18-04-2013, 07:53 PM
I contacted my planning dept and it was fine. They sent me a link to check if I needed permission which i didn't and I have noted it.

blue bear
19-04-2013, 02:54 AM
for my area you can look it up online, google when is planning permission required, bit of a lengthy document but its there somewhere. every area seems to be slightly different though, as usual :huh:

19-04-2013, 06:32 AM
I think it depends on where you live-in our area yu are not allowed to care for any more than 6 children at any one time of any age without planning permission, and getting it can cost between £200-£400 !!!! so you need t check with your local district councilxxx

19-04-2013, 07:50 AM
It is always recommended that new childminders check they do not need planning permission because every LA is different.

Hopefully you will get a quick answer :D

19-04-2013, 08:38 AM
There is no definitive answer to this question ~ it's all based on interpretation and opinion.

For a single childminder working from a normal residential family home (what's called Use Class C3a in planning jargon!) your local Planning Department should be taking note of current Government guidance that (in 2012) advises:

"…support in principle small-scale and ICT-based home working in residential areas…"


"Permission is not normally required where the use of part of a dwelling-house for business purposes does not change the overall character of the property's use as a single dwelling. For example, the use by a householder of a room as an office, or childminding complying with the Department of Health's standard recommended ratios, would be unlikely to mean that the character of the house's use as a single dwelling had ceased and would not normally require planning permission."

But as you can see it includes vague words like 'in principle', 'not normally required', 'unlikely' and 'a room' which leads to Each Council having a different interpretation. Unfortunately the decision is often based on the interpretation (and perhaps even whim) of the particular planning officer concerned.

However, this is further complicated if you are in a Conservation Area, working with an assistant, judged to be increasing traffic and parking difficulties over the norm ~ even using more than one room ~ amongst many, many other considerations. In other words, if they want to…they can probably get you!

So the bottom line is if you want to be absolutely sure you will need to discuss it with the local Planning Department…and, if you do ask, they may want to make a formal (i.e. expensive) ruling.