PDA

View Full Version : Children eating and sleeping

chezzagriff
18-04-2013, 08:11 AM
I was just wondering if this is allowed.... I have quite a small house and for sleeping I have a travel cot and some sleeping mats. Some parents leave their prams which makes the place even smaller so I was wondering for the children whose prams have been left would I be able to let them sleep in that instead of having to set up the cot or mats so that there is space for the other children to play? Also I let my own baby have a nap in his bouncer, would I be able to do this with other babies?
For meal times I have 1 high chair, 1 booster seat and seats around the table. On some days though I have 2 babies in so its a case of feeding 1 in the high chair and then when they have finished feeding the other one in it. I dont have any space at all to store another high chair but I do have an upright bouncer (its more of a chair), would I be able to use this as meal times can take ages and sometimes the one that is waiting for their meal ends up falling asleep?

jackie 7
18-04-2013, 08:35 AM
From what I understand you have to have the right equipment for the number of children you have. Why do parents leave prams with you? Can they be locked outside? I tell parents if they have to leave buggies here they have to be folded and put on my balcony. As for high chairs can you get folding type?

Boris
18-04-2013, 08:53 AM
I would be telling parents I had no room to store buggies. I have the Ikea highchairs, they stack so take up very little room. I think sleeping in buggies/prams is ok as long as the child is lay back enough to be comfortable. If a child fell asleep in the buggy on a walk I wouldn't wake them up and put them in a bad when I got home!

pipandbaz
18-04-2013, 09:02 AM
I did have a cot but little ones tend to settle better in the buggy - it lays flat, parents are happy with this in fact they prefer it as baby is used to his/her own cot not mine! Anyway I've now given it to my brother whom is expecting their first child July. So excited :-) I do hope inspector doesn't want me to have one as its nice to regain the space.

pipandbaz
18-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Silly me, forgot to add I haven't used the cot in over 9 months so couldn't see the point in keeping it, would rather brother have the use as such a waste

Becci26
18-04-2013, 09:06 AM
I was just wondering if this is allowed.... I have quite a small house and for sleeping I have a travel cot and some sleeping mats. Some parents leave their prams which makes the place even smaller so I was wondering for the children whose prams have been left would I be able to let them sleep in that instead of having to set up the cot or mats so that there is space for the other children to play? Also I let my own baby have a nap in his bouncer, would I be able to do this with other babies?
For meal times I have 1 high chair, 1 booster seat and seats around the table. On some days though I have 2 babies in so its a case of feeding 1 in the high chair and then when they have finished feeding the other one in it. I dont have any space at all to store another high chair but I do have an upright bouncer (its more of a chair), would I be able to use this as meal times can take ages and sometimes the one that is waiting for their meal ends up falling asleep?

I personally am not keen on putting a child to sleep in a buggy (falling asleep in a buggy when out and about is a different story, I wouldn't then move them to a bed). I put beds and cots up when needed and then down again once finished, yes it can be an irritation at times but I don't find it's the end of the world. Where in the house do the children sleep at the mo?
What happens to the buggies when they are left with you? Is there anyway you could create a storage area outside so they are not in your house? If not I would be speaking to parents and asking if they could not leave with you where possible (I realise this might not be practical but worth considering). If you particularly want to use buggy's for sleep I think so long as you have risk assessed it you are ok, but I believe from previous threads on here that I have read there are mixed views on this from Ofsted - I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along shortly and clarify...

As for the eating, you need to have enough equipment for the children that you care for so this really does require another highchair I'm afraid, as somebody else suggested the ikea ones are good as are stackable, although I have 2 folding ones which I can 'hide away' when not in use.
The way you are doing it at the moment really doesn't sound ideal and I'm not surpeised you are looking for a better alternative! How old are the babies, as this will make a difference to the type of solution we may be able to suggest...

Houlgated
18-04-2013, 09:18 AM
I would highly recommend the ikea high hairs. They stack, they can be dismantled easily for storage too and are small and so easy to clean. I use booster seats on chairs now as I only have one mindee who needs it and my 3 year old still likes to use it when mindee isn't here. The ikea high chairs are also great for painting etc as so easy to clean. Mine also fits at my table perfectly so didn't need to use the tray if I didn't want to which also included the babies much more at mealtimes

Stapleton83
18-04-2013, 12:50 PM
In terms of the sleeping in buggies I think you would need to risk assessment and gain written agreement from the parents if you are putting the children down for a nap in the buggy. If not then I would talk to your parents and ask them to take their prams home or try and find some storage.

Re the highchair issue could you use booster seats for any of them so that they could sit up at the table much smaller and easier to store.

Sam x

JCrakers
18-04-2013, 01:01 PM
I have a travel cot upstairs which is used but I have a 8m old who will only sleep whilst having his milk so I use the buggy for him as I have to keep my eye on him until he's finished and obviously can't lie him flat in the cot upstairs with his milk.
I don't see a problem with using the buggy every now and again. Mines used quite a bit because I do a lot of walking so usually children fall asleep in them. But if we are in then I use the cot.

I would have a word with parents and say you don't have room for pushchairs. I have quite a big hallway but wouldn't have buggys left in there...I have a tantrum when someone brings too many bags, leaving them in the hallway...lol

chezzagriff
18-04-2013, 02:21 PM
The pram is left as parent has to travel 4.5 miles to get to me and then goes straight to work so cant take it with. I will have a look at the ikea high chairs. I dont have any outside storage space as only have a small yard. The house is tiny, I didnt even think Ofsted would say yes to having 6 children on my pre-reg. Im sure I will figure something out. Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

natalieatk
18-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Does the parent walk you drop the child off? I do have a big house but still wouldn't let them store pushchairs, I have a stress when parents ask to leave coats and extra clothes here lol! I have a ikea high hair,although its small and easy it does have wide legs so storage isn't easy and it gets in the way, it can be dismantled easily but doing it every day got annoying!

dette
18-04-2013, 04:39 PM
i have my little ones sleeping in various different ways depending on what they prefer,one in travel cot upstairs,2 on dogbed cushions on the livingroom floor,and 3 who prefere to go to sleep in lay flat buggies,i find the buggies great until their legs get too long ,which is usually at about 18mnth ish,which by then is perfect for moving onto the floor cushions and ive already got them into a good routine of going to sleep without being held,i have two parent who have to leave buggies at mine as they walk here and go straight to work,i tell them i need ones that fold up easily and never to leave anything in the basket as i dont have time to check or room to store items.i just fold them up and either put them on the stairs behind the stairgate or up on the landing and bring them down when parent collects.i prefer not to use parents buggies as im always scared i'll break them and they'll expect me to pay for a new one:rolleyes:.
as for high chairs ,i have the kind that strap to my kitchen chairs with trays that clip on (wouldnt reccomend these if you dont have solid heavy chairs as they can be unstable),they fold up and hang up in my understair cupboard when i dont need them,but i do have 4 ,wouldnt like to make anyone wait for a meal,they really should eat together,its a social experience