PDA

View Full Version : CCTV in your home

mushpea
17-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Does anyone have this? Cameras to record what's going on in your work areas and if so does it bother you or your parents?, I'm thinking if getting done to protect myself and Tesco have them on offer but wonded if others used them

Becci26
17-04-2013, 09:40 PM
No but have thought about it a few times, albeit fleetingly.

It does put me off a little as feels quite intrusive but then I suppose the only time u would need to review footage would be if an incident occurs or after a complaint.

On the positive side it would be good to have another set of eyes as we are so very vulnerable in this job as u know.
Sorry not actually much help was I!?
Will be following this thread with interest....

Mouse
17-04-2013, 09:54 PM
For me that would be a step too far, but if you have been on the receiving end of allegations, then I can see why you might consider it.

I think I'd initially be very self conscious - I sing a lot to the children & sound absolutely awful, but really don't care when there are no other adults there. I think I'd stop singing if I knew I was being recorded! After a while I guess you'd get used to it & not even

You'd have to look closely at the legal implications. You would obviously need permission to cover the children being filmed and what happened if one family refused permission?
What if parents knew you were filming their children all day and wanted to see the recordings just to see what their children were doing? Would you have to let them?
And would they cover every area of the house? If it's only certain areas, how would you be covering yourself if you & the children went into a different room? What about the bathroom? You couldn't record in there, so again you'd be unprotected against allegations for any time you were in the bathroom with children.

Would it be worth speaking to your insurance company to see what they say about the legalities of it?

Kiddleywinks
17-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Some parents are not known for their prompt reporting of alleged incidents that allegedly occur, with a minority only allegedly having an alleged problem when a contract is terminated and there are monies outstanding, so for how long, and where would you keep the recordings to prove innocence following a complaint? 21 years and 6 months is bad enough with the normal paperwork ;)

I can see the benefit of having cctv, particularly as a means of protecting myself against false allegations, and as evidence for potential investigations, but at the same time, I can't help feeling uncomfortable about the possibility of having to go these extremes in order to be 'trusted'

Mushpea, I totally understand, given your current circumstances, where you are coming from, however, don't doubt yourself and your abilities to do your job. It's a messed up, unfair system, that is now messing with your head :panic:
Don't let it :thumbsup:

chezzagriff
18-04-2013, 07:37 AM
I have worked in 2 nurseries that had cctv and all the time I felt so conscious of them. I am comfortable with the children and know I would never do anything to harm or disrespect a child but when I was being filmed I was constantly thinking if I do this what does it look like to others. eg. If I were to pat a child on the head what if they said I hit them and then the footage was reviewed and although I didnt because I can be seen patting the child on the head would I then be accused of this. Extreme I know but thats the way it made me feel. I can see the plus to it for people working alone but its not for me. To be honest though the way things are going I can see it becoming a requirement.

clareelizabeth1
18-04-2013, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't do it I would be to aware they are there i don't even like having a phot taken of me. I have CCTV on my gate to record who comes and goes but that's because people have a habit of attaching farming equipment to their cars as they leave.

CCTV has its place but if I was sending my child to a childminder it would be because I trusted them not because they had CCTV in some ways it might put me off. Almost makes me think they have to know someone is watching them in order to look after children properly.

Dragonfly
18-04-2013, 10:37 AM
I think cctv on your gate/front door maybe but inside nooooo think this is going to far, it's your's and your families home.

Helen Dempster
18-04-2013, 02:15 PM
When I returned back to work after my son was born (before I became a CM), his nursery had CCTV. They gave you a password and you were able to log on any time during the day to see how your child was getting on. I loved being able to do that, and did log on a LOT! :blush: However, I don't think I would like that in my own home. I would be so self conscious about it, not be able to relax and sing/dance/act the fool. I suppose you'd possibly get used to it after a while, but no...not for me. Ofsted would love it though!!! :thumbsup:

marnieb
18-04-2013, 02:39 PM
What would you do if a child wa sick all over you & you had to strip off ?? I can't be the only one that's happened to!!

munch149
18-04-2013, 02:56 PM
I would say the areas that it would be most required would be the most inappropriate such as when changing nappies and in the bathroom. I always have children changing after school too which I don't think it's right to record. And what about when they are sleeping. Would feel a bit weird vein recorded when children were asleep and I was doing my own thing even if it was something simple as eating lunch watching tv

Ripeberry
18-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Let me think.......

NO! Because it's my own home, private and having a camera would mean that I didn't trust myself! How would anyone else? It's OK in a nursery but not in your own home. Have a camera outside by all means. As a parent it would put me off honestly :(