PDA

View Full Version : Advice on starting points

itsybitsyteeny
17-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Hello

Just wondered how you go about recording a child's starting points when he/she begins with you? I have read about the all about me forms, and about looking at development matters document with parents/carers etc but any other input would be appreciated.

Thank you

sarah707
18-04-2013, 06:18 AM
I talk to parents in general terms about what their child is doing at home ... then carry out a series of initial observations to check their progress in the prime areas of learning.

This doesn't mean me sitting watching the child's every move - I do it over the first few weeks as I play with the child and note what they can and cannot do - so I know, with further input from parents, what to support next.

Hth :D

mama2three
18-04-2013, 08:49 AM
I found sarahs e-book about starting points very helpful when I first started. i was struggling to get my head around exactly what / how much detail to write etc.

itsybitsyteeny
11-05-2013, 09:44 PM
I think I saw a good idea (one of Sarah's?) where next to the development matters comments you can put a date of a relating observation in green, red or blue. Each colour represents a different place the observation was made so childminder, parent or other setting child attends. If ofsted are happy with this then I think it is an idea I might try.

sarah707
12-05-2013, 06:55 AM
I have just started using little post-it notes shaped like speech bubbles to highlight when parents or other settings give me information.

It makes me try harder to get info as well so that every month I have at least 1 speech bubble from each (as relevant to the child of course).

:D

mrs robbie williams
12-05-2013, 07:22 AM
i use the first couple of weeks and observe and then i sit down with their all about me form and other info from parent and do baseline assessment using dev matters, things they can already do on their dev matters age sheet i highlight as already in place when joined setting :thumbsup:

itsybitsyteeny
12-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know where I can get hold of the on-going assessment sheets for development matters. Where you can just print out the statements for a particular age range. Very handy sheets those!