PDA

View Full Version : think I have taken on too many children, feeling down!

Npg1
17-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone. I need some desperate advice. Have a 17mth old and a 6 mth old and have just had a 12mth old start too. There is only an hr and a half cross over that I actually have 3.

Today has been her first day. Really hard work, she is into everything, she throws evrrything and hits. She is very sweet too though.

Im just worried I have taken on too much. This is 2 days a week. I also then have to go and pick a 6yr old up along with my 2 children (car journey) where I drop the 6mth old off and pick the 6yr old up. But I have to get them all out the car just to go inside the school. A walkinh 17mth old, a non walking 12 mth old and a baby in car seat.

How do I get out of this if I decide to? We have signed the contract with 4 weeks notice each side

Thanks

sprinkles
17-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Do you not have a settling in period? I have a four week settling in period where either party can terminate the contract without notice if we feel it isn't working.

kellyskidz!
17-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Give yourself a date, say in 2 weeks before you decide if its just too much. That way you can tell parents you've given it a go and it's proving impossible. I'm sure they'll understand, especially since you're still in a trial period- that is why we have them after all, to see how things go. Good luck!xx

MrsP2C
17-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Is there no way you can either drop the 6mth old first or have them collected before you leave. I would say give it a couple of weeks as day 1 is always challenging but if you really feel it isn't working do you have a month settling/no notice period? If so suggest you give notice before they get too settled - apologise profusely, offer to help find alternative care but walk away now rather than suffer for months.

Npg1
17-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Oh god. I now have my mum of 17mth old texting me as her husband picked up tonight and asked if im taking on another baby too....

phoenix2010
17-04-2013, 06:24 PM
this just sounds like a normal day for a childminder to me !!

supermumy
17-04-2013, 06:31 PM
If its to much for you handle and there is no way around it than give ur notice to one now before you all get to attached
You gonna have to be truthful and say you have took on to much will work your notice and do everything you can to help until than?

Npg1
17-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Really? I have had 2 perfect babies then.

singingcactus
17-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Give yourself a chance. 12 month old children do throw and hit a fair bit some days. It should only be a logistical issue for tge first few times you do it, then you'll develop a little system that works for you. It really sounds like it is only going to be the car journey slot that is tricky for you and I'm pretty certain a double buggy will solve your problem there. If the child has to stay in the car seat because it is theirs and you needto hand it back, then you could probably do with getting your own. If it is your own car seat then just lift the baby out of it and pop them in the double buggy.
Honestly, the whole thing will be worse in your head than in reality. (I was having a similar stress last night to loocyloo, about how I was to get my three toddlers out of the car and over the big road into group, turns out it was completely simple, no worries at all). Give it at least a few weeks before you stress about it.

VeggieSausage
17-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Give yourself a chance to get to know the children and get a good routine going - don't give up....

JCrakers
17-04-2013, 07:41 PM
It's always hard at first...give yourself more time. I've been working with children for nearly 20yrs and I still find the first week or two difficult. Getting to know the child and also the child getting to know you and your rules :)

Give it a while and you'll soon relax...if its still not working then decide then

KatieFS
17-04-2013, 07:51 PM
I found my first month steep learning curve very stressful and now I look back its settling in new children that is actually the most difficult bit. I think as you get used to them, they get used to you and you learn about the real child (usually a bit different to how the parents paint them). Give yourself and the children time. You have taken on quite a bit but no doubt it's a learn for you.
Give it a couple of weeks, then look at your numbers and reduce down to something more manageable. Check your contract usually 4 weeks, unless you come to another arrangement with parents.
Chin up. It's good fun if busy!!! X x

greanan
17-04-2013, 08:14 PM
First few weeks are always harder but they do get easier. Remember the children won't be at this age and stage for long :-)

scottishlass
17-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi one day a week I have a 12 month old and a 15 month old and I find it very hard work as they are both Into everything! Just hoping as time goes on and they start walking etc it will become easier!! Xx

Mrs Scrubbit
17-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Just give yourself time ....it normally settles once everybody adjusts to the new routines.I had the same thoughts in Jan.(and to be honest I think most of us have these little nagging fears at first when taking on a new one ) but now things have worked out well, still hard work with a just 2yr old and to non walkers but we have lots of fun! x

natalieatk
17-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Get a baby jogger city mini double! Easy!!! Buggy board on the back! Perfect for babies and child and little on can go on back!! Take the stress off carrying holding little hand etc' fits on the smallest of boots and quick gold makes it easier!! Don't stress just remember it gets easier with practice x

littletreasures
17-04-2013, 09:35 PM
It does get easier, I promise you.

I have been minding for 23 years and always when a new little one starts it takes a couple of weeks to get in to a routine.

I have just started with a 7 month old, 5 days a week to add to a 10 mth old 4 days, plus his sister who's just 3 and a 19 mth old 2 days a week.

I am shattered and its only Wednesday. But I know that in a few weeks the 7 mth old will have learnt that she doesn't get picked up at the first grizzle here and she is going to have to get herself off to sleep if I ambush with the others, just like the 10 mth old did.

I have a buggy that can take 2 car seats, different makes, so if they are asleep I can just clip them on or I can do a combination of car seat and pushchair seat. I have also managed to fix a bumprider board on to the back for the 19 mth old if he gets tired of walking.

You need to give yourself and them time to settle, but also if you really think it won't work out it would be better to say sooner so that the little one doesn't get attached.
It's a hard decision to make.

CLL
18-04-2013, 06:05 AM
It does get easier, I promise you.

I have been minding for 23 years and always when a new little one starts it takes a couple of weeks to get in to a routine.

I have just started with a 7 month old, 5 days a week to add to a 10 mth old 4 days, plus his sister who's just 3 and a 19 mth old 2 days a week.

I am shattered and its only Wednesday. But I know that in a few weeks the 7 mth old will have learnt that she doesn't get picked up at the first grizzle here and she is going to have to get herself off to sleep if I ambush with the others, just like the 10 mth old did.

I have a buggy that can take 2 car seats, different makes, so if they are asleep I can just clip them on or I can do a combination of car seat and pushchair seat. I have also managed to fix a bumprider board on to the back for the 19 mth old if he gets tired of walking.

You need to give yourself and them time to settle, but also if you really think it won't work out it would be better to say sooner so that the little one doesn't get attached.
It's a hard decision to make.

Hi little treasures, can I ask what buggy you have?

mrs robbie williams
18-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Hi everyone. I need some desperate advice. Have a 17mth old and a 6 mth old and have just had a 12mth old start too. There is only an hr and a half cross over that I actually have 3.

Today has been her first day. Really hard work, she is into everything, she throws evrrything and hits. She is very sweet too though.

Im just worried I have taken on too much. This is 2 days a week. I also then have to go and pick a 6yr old up along with my 2 children (car journey) where I drop the 6mth old off and pick the 6yr old up. But I have to get them all out the car just to go inside the school. A walkinh 17mth old, a non walking 12 mth old and a baby in car seat.

How do I get out of this if I decide to? We have signed the contract with 4 weeks notice each side

Thanks

Hiya as others have said it does get easier - when i first started with my new ones who are 1 and 2 and siblings of mindee i already have who is at school i thought no way can i do this - its every tues afternoon when i already have a 2 1/2 yr old and 22m but they all just play :) baby was very wingey first day but now is all smiles i also have school run but 22m gets collected at 3 so baby and 2yr old go in my double nipper and 2 1/2 yr old walks holding my hand. The main day is friday which is 0800 until 1800 when i also have a mischevious 20m mindee so have three all day its better now we can get out in garden xx I would give yourself a date and if your still struggling by then you can think seriously about giving notice :D

littletreasures
18-04-2013, 06:14 AM
Hi little treasures, can I ask what buggy you have?

It's the Babystyle Oyster Max. It just came out in February and I love it. It's tKen me 23 years to find a pushchair I really like and don't want to swap for a different one

Npg1
18-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Thanks everyone. It is for 3 hrs one day and 5 hrs the next meaning I dont fiish work until 7.30.

Have emailed mum with my decision and explained I feel I have taken on too much, she was a friend too so even more difficult! She asked about thd 4 weeks notice and I said we can call it quits but she said she wanted a refund for yesterday. I agreed to this.

Was in tears all evening but I feel better for making that decision. If the child was older it would have been easier.

smurfette
18-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Aw hun sorry you were so upset.. I am sure though you will feel better when you see that your days are easier .. Hugs xx

meria
18-04-2013, 08:14 AM
I no how u feel. I have 3 under 2s 3 days. N 2 under 2s the other 2 days plus school children. Im in 3rd week of doing this. N its ok. Leave plenty off time for everything. My own daughter is 17 months and a monkey, over confident and far to clever for her own good. When a new child comes not only do i have to get used to them. My already settled in mindees have to to. Its just a learning curve for all and gets easier as all get used to it. At 17 months, 18 months and 22 months they are all becoming best of friends and it makes it worth while. However im not sayin its easy im regulary being a referee..... Dont be shamed if u cant do it. You have to do best by urself and children. X

sarahmc
18-04-2013, 12:26 PM
I have either 1 1 year old and 3 2 year olds or 3 2 year olds and a 3 year old every day and its hard work but not as hard as a year ago. It does get easier, honest. Leave plenty of time, don't try and do anything unnecessary and grab those quiet seconds for a good cuppa!

KatieFS
20-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Keep smiling!!! A relief you've made a decision... X