PDA

View Full Version : Explosive nappies but otherwise well - WWYD?

MrsP2C
17-04-2013, 05:56 PM
LO has had 5 explosive & very runny nappies this afternoon but is still eating & drinking and seems well in herself but I'm now wondering if I should have sent her home regardless as I do have a 24hr exclusion for diarrhoea. I told mum on pick up who said 'oh yes she had a couple yesterday so it's probably a tooth coming through' & I stupidly didn't think to then remind her of my sickness policy! should I text/call her & let her know if it continues I can't take her tomorrow?

I wasn't too fussed today as I didn't have any other little ones at home but tomorrow I have my youngest DS (3) plus another mindee so if she does have a bug I obviously don't want her passing it on. What do you all do for runny nappies without sickness or other signs of illness?

Rick
17-04-2013, 06:01 PM
LO has had 5 explosive & very runny nappies this afternoon but is still eating & drinking and seems well in herself but I'm now wondering if I should have sent her home regardless as I do have a 24hr exclusion for diarrhoea. I told mum on pick up who said 'oh yes she had a couple yesterday so it's probably a tooth coming through' & I stupidly didn't think to then remind her of my sickness policy! should I text/call her & let her know if it continues I can't take her tomorrow?

I wasn't too fussed today as I didn't have any other little ones at home but tomorrow I have my youngest DS (3) plus another mindee so if she does have a bug I obviously don't want her passing it on. What do you all do for runny nappies without sickness or other signs of illness?

Yes definitely should have called mum immediately. I have a 48 hr exclusion policy and still somehow D&V was passed to all my nappy changing children despite me being careful. I got it too so I lost money being shut! Noone was actually sick, just diarroea, same as you mention.

Mum is going to say that isn't she, she doesn't want to deal with it!

mrs robbie williams
17-04-2013, 06:02 PM
i would text mum i exclude for either or sickness / diahroea (sp) 48 hrs xx

MrsP2C
17-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Ah ****** I knew I should have said something! It's going to sound really odd now as I didn't seemed bothered about today but you're right I can't afford to pass it on to other mindees or get sick myself. And sorry if I'm being really thick but 48 hr exclusion would mean not coming back tomorrow or Friday or just tomorrow unless it continues overnight?

MrsP2C
17-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Oooh sorry didn't realise that was a banned word (it wasn't too bad honest!!)

Rick
17-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Ah ****** I knew I should have said something! It's going to sound really odd now as I didn't seemed bothered about today but you're right I can't afford to pass it on to other mindees or get sick myself. And sorry if I'm being really thick but 48 hr exclusion would mean not coming back tomorrow or Friday or just tomorrow unless it continues overnight?

They have to be clear of it for 48 hours. There's no point in the child returning if they still have the bug after 48 hours! :D

Rick
17-04-2013, 06:36 PM
i would text mum i exclude for either or sickness / diahroea (sp) 48 hrs xx

I've learnt how to spell diarrhoea over the past week!

MessybutHappy
17-04-2013, 07:16 PM
I agree, once they've gone home, 48 hrs from last incidence of sickness or last loose nappy...I'd simply say that you've checked all the guidance, and explain to her that it's to try to protect everyone, including you as if you get it you'd have to close so she won't have childcare.

VeggieSausage
17-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Guidelines say 48 hours now....that is standard at all childminders and nurseries...

singingcactus
17-04-2013, 07:27 PM
If the child was showing no other signs of illness I would allow them to continue coming. There are usually other symptoms when a young child is ill, but just having squishy poops does not always mean the child has a diarrhoea bug. The child could well be teething, or even just over tired, or had a new food etc. Kids tummies, like rabbits tummies, can be sensitive to changes without them being contagious.
That is me though, if you feel happier excluding in case the child does have a bug then that is what you should do. Just be sure to sound confident when you tell the parents, cos if you sound even slightly doubtful the parents will hear it and question you on it. Be clear and confident and unapologetic (but nice lol).

MrsP2C
17-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Well I've told her not to come tomorrow but I will take her Friday IF nappies back to normal & she's 100% well as I don't have any other mindees that day. If she was showing other signs of illness (loss of appetite, lethargy, teary etc) I wouldn't think twice about enforcing the 48hr rule but as it was just the nappies & it's just her & me I'm prepared to have her back then.

MrsP2C
17-04-2013, 08:19 PM
...and thankfully mum very understanding :)

Rick
17-04-2013, 08:31 PM
...and thankfully mum very understanding :)

Perhaps she accepts it is the right decision. I personally wouldn't want to send my son anywhere if he wasn't well.

Mrs Scrubbit
17-04-2013, 08:38 PM
If the child was showing no other signs of illness I would allow them to continue coming. There are usually other symptoms when a young child is ill, but just having squishy poops does not always mean the child has a diarrhoea bug. The child could well be teething, or even just over tired, or had a new food etc. Kids tummies, like rabbits tummies, can be sensitive to changes without them being contagious.
That is me though, if you feel happier excluding in case the child does have a bug then that is what you should do. Just be sure to sound confident when you tell the parents, cos if you sound even slightly doubtful the parents will hear it and question you on it. Be clear and confident and unapologetic (but nice lol).

Agree I've got a mindee producing 2/3 'loose' nappies daily and is cutting teeth and fine in every other way so won't exclude, do what you feel is best x

wendywu
17-04-2013, 10:43 PM

I would not have sent her home, diarrhoea is to my mind is like water and has its own smell. :panic:

Becci26
18-04-2013, 06:22 AM
If its different to normal then I would contact parents to advise but unless very runny I do not tend to send home as there are a number of reasons it could have changed such as teething, different food etc.

My dd was constantly being sent home from nursery when she was younger due to loose nappies but 9 times out of 10 there was nothing wrong with her. I eventually realised it was due to a mixture of the amount of fruit she was eating and milk she was drinking (turns out she's lactose intolerant!). It's hard when ur a working mum trying to juggle everything, I didn't mind collecting if of course she was actually ill but it was getting to be a bit of a joke, I ended up moving nurseries for a variety of reasons and that seemed to help as the nursery used their common sense lol

MessybutHappy
18-04-2013, 07:13 AM
If its different to normal then I would contact parents to advise but unless very runny I do not tend to send home as there are a number of reasons it could have changed such as teething, different food etc.

My dd was constantly being sent home from nursery when she was younger due to loose nappies but 9 times out of 10 there was nothing wrong with her. I eventually realised it was due to a mixture of the amount of fruit she was eating and milk she was drinking (turns out she's lactose intolerant!). It's hard when ur a working mum trying to juggle everything, I didn't mind collecting if of course she was actually ill but it was getting to be a bit of a joke, I ended up moving nurseries for a variety of reasons and that seemed to help as the nursery used their common sense lol

I think you've hit the nail on the head, if we, as cm's think theres a problem worth a child who's motions we know quite well we should send home. Once the child has been excluded, the child stays away until 48 hours free if symptoms. I too have a dd who's prone to food intolerance, but these poos don't increase in frequency, just in stink and the colour and consistency changes!

jackie 7
18-04-2013, 08:40 AM
That is the thing that parents don't realise as we are the only ones who change the nappies we know what is normal for each child. And we know if they are teething!

MrsP2C
24-04-2013, 03:38 PM
And a week later it's still the same if anything worse as I'm now having to change clothes & virtually wash her down after each incident :( I can cope with that when it's just her but tomorrow I've also got 2 x 3 yr olds and don't know whether I can reasonably exclude again.

JumpingJacks
24-04-2013, 06:44 PM
And a week later it's still the same if anything worse as I'm now having to change clothes & virtually wash her down after each incident :( I can cope with that when it's just her but tomorrow I've also got 2 x 3 yr olds and don't know whether I can reasonably exclude again.

How old is the little one? Could it be an allergy or intolerance? Asking as my daughter used to be like this when she was younger and was diagnosed with cmpi, lots of alergies etc can have this effect

tess1981
24-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Have not read all the other posts so do not know if anyone has said this but it could just be teeth... the lo i have is teething and the nappies are awful but i did not send her home this will last for about 3 days then back to normal. parents cant come home unless the child is sick and teething nappies are so common that parents would never get a chance to go to work

MrsP2C
24-04-2013, 07:26 PM
How old is the little one? Could it be an allergy or intolerance? Asking as my daughter used to be like this when she was younger and was diagnosed with cmpi, lots of alergies etc can have this effect

She's 15mths and up until a week ago at mine (plus 3/4 days at home it transpires :rolleyes:) she had no problems on a very varied & quite exotic diet. The suddenness of it starting with not a single previous symptom ruled out food allergies/intolerances in my mind but I could be wrong.

I've not said anything about tomorrow so she's coming now but if she's still bad I'm going to ring mum during the day & ask that she takes her to the doctor Friday morning & depending on their verdict I may or may not take her. If nothing else 2 weeks of serious diarreah (sp!) can't be good at this age & I'd start to worry about her getting enough nutrients & fluids.

JumpingJacks
24-04-2013, 07:48 PM
She's 15mths and up until a week ago at mine (plus 3/4 days at home it transpires :rolleyes:) she had no problems on a very varied & quite exotic diet. The suddenness of it starting with not a single previous symptom ruled out food allergies/intolerances in my mind but I could be wrong.

I've not said anything about tomorrow so she's coming now but if she's still bad I'm going to ring mum during the day & ask that she takes her to the doctor Friday morning & depending on their verdict I may or may not take her. If nothing else 2 weeks of serious diarreah (sp!) can't be good at this age & I'd start to worry about her getting enough nutrients & fluids.

I agree, it definitely needs investigating by her gp if shes had it for two weeks solid (providing its not teething related?) Allergies can happen at any age and can start over night (well thats what I've been told). She must be losing weight and getting lethargic. Hope you get some answers soon. Poor Lo