PDA

View Full Version : Registered but only have grandchildren?

izzy
17-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Hi,
I have been registered for 14 yrs and looked after a variety of children. Due to personal circumstances, I have lessened my workload, and at present only look after my two grandchildren. 1 x 1 day per week and the other before and after school. It is my understanding from a few years ago, that I can not only mind grandchildren and still keep my registration current. Does anyone know how this stands at present? My children would have to pay for alternative childcare for my grandchildren and seems daft that I might have to up my numbers to include a child not related to me?
I would be grateful for any thoughts,
Thank you, izzy

phoenix2010
17-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Do you want to remain registered ? is it important that you are registered and your daughter/son gets financial assistance to pay for childcare

if not then you may as well end your registration , if you do not ever intend to have other children

I understood it that if you are registered then you should be available to work with all children not just your grandchildren , however theres no reason why you couldnt say that you just dont get any enquiries and you are not actively looking

I think the rule is to stop grandparents registering for the sole purpose of having their grandchildren, but you have in the past , as you said minded lots of other children , so I really dont see this applying to you

im sure you are fine to carry on and im sure at some point most of us hope to lessen the workload , whether that be grandchildren or not

izzy
17-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Do you want to remain registered ? is it important that you are registered and your daughter/son gets financial assistance to pay for childcare

if not then you may as well end your registration , if you do not ever intend to have other children

I understood it that if you are registered then you should be available to work with all children not just your grandchildren , however theres no reason why you couldnt say that you just dont get any enquiries and you are not actively looking

I think the rule is to stop grandparents registering for the sole purpose of having their grandchildren, but you have in the past , as you said minded lots of other children , so I really dont see this applying to you

im sure you are fine to carry on and im sure at some point most of us hope to lessen the workload , whether that be grandchildren or not

Thank you for your reply. I do need to work, albeit part time, and yes, one of my children gets help from the government for 70% her childcare, so would need to be registered for her to continue to get that help. (btw, the government do not have a problem with me being the grandparent, so long as i am registered). Also, if i no longer had my grandchildren, i would then be actively looking for another child. Its just as non related children left the setting, i did not take on any other children. its just the way its gone.

thank you again

chriss
17-04-2013, 01:32 PM
and obviously you still have do do all the required paperwork, even for your grandchildren.

izzy
17-04-2013, 01:53 PM
hi chris,

:) ........yes, i still do all the paperwork, a necessary evil :)

x

izzy
17-04-2013, 02:00 PM
p.s..... the last 'unrelated' child left in feb this year, so it has only been a couple of months. i just dont want to take on any more at the moment, and with one of my children making threats of another grandchild within the next 18 months or so, i can see it being grandchildren all the way. i suppose the bottom line is, i need to work, i am a registered childminder, my children need to work and need childcare, they are happy to pay me (a reduced rate) and have their children looked after by me rather than 'outsourcing'. it seems to make sense???
x

chriss
17-04-2013, 02:53 PM
p.s..... the last 'unrelated' child left in feb this year, so it has only been a couple of months. i just dont want to take on any more at the moment, and with one of my children making threats of another grandchild within the next 18 months or so, i can see it being grandchildren all the way. i suppose the bottom line is, i need to work, i am a registered childminder, my children need to work and need childcare, they are happy to pay me (a reduced rate) and have their children looked after by me rather than 'outsourcing'. it seems to make sense???
x

I think this is wonderful. Maybe when my lot are grown I will be doing this :)

phoenix2010
17-04-2013, 03:00 PM
it all sounds fab to me , cant see OFSTED having a problem at all :thumbsup:

Angela234
17-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I look after my grandchildren but also others I was led to believe you will need to be available to have others but if no others come along that's not your fault. Evan if you just took on a p/t for a few hours some people find it hard to find just a few hours childcare so that may be an option to you.

Rough & Tumble
17-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Am I right in thinking then that Izzy would have to take on other childminded children in order to stay registered simply because the 2 children she cares for are her grandchildren?

She wouldn't be forced into caring for more children if the 2 children she already had weren't her grandchildren in order to stay registered. I'm confused :confused:

Who/why does she have to specify that the children are her grandchildren x

catlyn
17-04-2013, 04:51 PM
I look after one grandchild and also other children but I was told at my pre reg meeting that to remain registered I would have to have at least one other non grandchild on my books at all times??....seems like yet another case of lots of different advice being given by different areas....maybe a phone call to Ofsted would clarify it??

blue bear
17-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Ofsted will not inspect you if you only have grand children on your books, they will not be interested in the paperwork side relating to your grandchildren including learning journeys in the same way as if it was your own children. If they ring to arrange an inspection and you have no mindees other than grand children they will ask you to ring them when you do have an unrelated eyfs child, if you do not ring within three years of the phone call they will de register you.

This is my understanding but you could always e mail ofsted to get clarification.

Lilylulu
17-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Surely I would think that because you have already been registered that this shows you haven't just registered to gain tax credits money for carign for your family. I dont think you should have to deregister - whatever happened to 'continuity of care'? Maybe worth a call to Ofsted to ask the question xx

wendywu
18-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Just a question, how do Ofsted know that the children you care for are related to you :rolleyes:

I have never once in 18 years been asked this question by anyone not Ofsted or the LA or when filling in forms to check the tax credits for parents :)

FussyElmo
18-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Warning cynical post here.

They dont want to pay childcare element to grandparents they want the grandparents to provide it for free :-D

mama2three
18-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Warning cynical post here.

They dont want to pay childcare element to grandparents they want the grandparents to provide it for free :-D

But , to be fair , an awful lot do! Others charge way below 'market rates' , but still 'appear to' charge full on the paperwork.
The parents then pocket the 'benefits' that are actually supposed to be paying for the childcare.
Too many people take advantage of an already overstretched welfare programme - and so genuine cases unfortunately suffer because the line has to be drawn somewhere.

As for the original question , I think you'll be fine until 3 years of not having other eyfs children has passed.

Mouse
18-04-2013, 11:33 AM
But , to be fair , an awful lot do! Others charge way below 'market rates' , but still 'appear to' charge full on the paperwork.
The parents then pocket the 'benefits' that are actually supposed to be paying for the childcare.
Too many people take advantage of an already overstretched welfare programme - and so genuine cases unfortunately suffer because the line has to be drawn somewhere.

As for the original question , I think you'll be fine until 3 years of not having other eyfs children has passed.

Yes, I know a cm who did that. She didn't actually charge anything to look after her grandchildren, but the parents claimed the full amount of tax credits. She said she didn't mind doing it as it helped her children get a bit extra money :panic:

izzy
19-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Thank you for all your replies. I did, take on a lo after school last sept when my granddaughter started in reception as I thought it would help with the registration and give my granddaughter someone to play with after school. Unfortunately the two girls had a love/hate relationship from the word go. It was so bad they even had to separate them in all groups at school. Teacher said they were like waring siblings, they argued/squabbled when together but did not want to be apart. I had to give notice unfortunately, after 6months, and she is with another minder now who looks after multi aged/boys/girls, which is prob better for her. Fortunately mum understood entirely. (The lo was an angel (almost) when on her own). Will enjoy the summer and maybe, like you say, advertise for a little one for a few hours during the school day come sept.
Hope you all have a good day,
Iz