PDA

View Full Version : teachers!!!!

ziggy
17-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Oh dear i always have problems with teachers when it comes to arranging summer hols:(

Last September, when i was desperate for work, i took on 2 brothers whose mummy is a teacher. She has since had another baby and he will start with me full time in September.

We set up a contract which ends at the end of June (children here have all july and august off for the summer). Today mummy tells me that when children went to the creche in town she paid half fees during holidays but could still take them 1 or 2days for that fee!!!!!!

I explained that with other teachers in the past children have attended 2 days at full fee then parents paid half fee for other days.

Mummy explained that because she will be on maternity pay she cant afford to do this.

So she is offering half fee (£100) but wants them to attend one or two days. This means i will loose £40 a week doing it 'her way'

Having said that when they return in September full time, i will be earning a regular £250 per week from this family, and they always pay on time without any problems. They are also happy to pay full for any odd days off due to sickness etc.

I also have schoolies coming in holidays which means i can manage financially, so i guess in these difficult times i will have to accept her offer

Koala
17-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Does she pay anything in July and August? If not she is getting away very lightly and you are being ripped off!

It sounds like you are talking about half term that she wants to pay 50% but still come 2 days - does she want her cake and eat it?

It's up to you what you do but I bet she wouldn't work for 50% her wages. Knowing teachers they would wan't extra on top of their wages to work during the holidays.

tulip0803
17-04-2013, 10:41 AM
What the local crèche does is their business and this is yours. That said if they are good payers and will earn you good money from sept then I would think about it particularly if work is scarce in your area. I would explain that you do not normally do this and that as they are valued by you that you will do it this summer but they have to book the days in advance and the same arrangements may not apply to next summer holidays as you cannot forsee what the situation will be next year.

I have a teacher who pays half in the holidays but if she wants to use the days pays normal daily rate.

loocyloo
17-04-2013, 10:42 AM
could you perhaps work out a deal, so she is paying a little more, but feels she is getting a 'bargain' and you are not losing out too much?

i would also suggest that you get the days booked as soon as you want them booked, and then, these are not able to be swapped for other days, UNLESS they are then paid for at full price? or maybe offer to do one day a week at reduced fee and 2nd day or more at full fee ... and that is your 'holiday deal' for term time only parents. but once booked and paid for, days are not refundable unless you have to cancel.

xxx

ziggy
17-04-2013, 10:42 AM
She normally pays £200 for a full week but when she is off for the whole of july and august she wants to pay £100 but still send them one or two days!!

I agree, i feel i am being ripped off but if she takes all 3 to creche/nursery in September then i loose £1000 a month and dont want to take that chance.

On the other hand i was asked by another lady to take a full time baby in June so maybe i will call her bluff and refuse her offer and let her know other parents are willling to pay the retainer in full

oh my why is this so difficult?

Koala
17-04-2013, 10:50 AM
yes, its a tricky one, but I have noticed that full timers are much better than term time only, both financially and mentally.

You need to work out a yearly income from them - compare to the full timer that is interested and see whether the difference is worth loosing for the disrespect of trying to screw you what you are due.

Remember you are reducing your income by 50% non term time to benefit their work schedule - not yours and it can become a bur done on the purse string.

Helen79
17-04-2013, 11:58 AM
If the contract is term time only and ends in June I'm not sure you can charge her the full £200. If your contract states that she pays full fees in holidays or a retainer then she obviously needs to pay that. If it's just a term time only contract then she doesn't have to pay for the summer holidays.
If she's only sending them 1 or 2 days in the holidays then you probably can only charge for just those days.

ziggy
17-04-2013, 01:35 PM
no the contract isnt term time only, we just started it in september and said we would review it at the end of June and discuss what care she needed over july and august.

She pays full for odd days off, half for days/holidays if she gives me 4 weeks notice.

As the day goes on i am less happy about this. If she is going to pay me £100 a week during july and august and still send the boys 1 or 2 days she is in fact getting free childcare on the days there are here.

I reduced my weekly fee by £50 for the 2 children back in September and have no plans to increase. I took the boys home every evening for quite a few weeks at the end of her pregnancy (12 miles round trip) for no extra, worked the easter bank holidays for normal daily rate, gave up a weeks booked holiday while i had friends staying as her baby arrived early. Never charge her late fees if she is bit late collecting

I really feel i have done my best for this family and now she is taking advantage

I have had enquiries from 3 other families in the last week or two so am now tempted to go back to them and tell this mummy i cant afford to do as she wishes

JCrakers
17-04-2013, 01:41 PM
I have a few term time only contracts and what I do with holidays is a first come first served basis. So if a parent needs me for the summer then they have to book days.
If they don't book in time and there's no space. All my school children do this

Roseolivia
17-04-2013, 01:42 PM
What I do is charge full fee for the days the children come and half fee for the other days. The retainer is to keep a space open when school starts again. I don't charge retainers for over 5's anyway as would rather only have little ones in holidays anyway.

ziggy
18-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Mummy came in today all smiles but had to rush off for bin men lol

anyway i have written down her options and will hand them to her at home time:

Option 1: Pay £100 pr week retainer to keep places for September
Option 2: Pay £140 pr week ( 2 days care and 3 days retainer)

I have had enquiries from 2 other families who i am going to chat to today, plus social worker just phoned asking if i had space for a 3yr old in foster care.

So I am gonna be very brave and call her bluff

she can pay me or leave

It is times like this i wish i had support but living alone it isnt easy

FussyElmo
18-04-2013, 10:29 AM
So mum normally pays 200 a week for the two boys and in the holidays basically instead of paying a retainer of 100 wants to send them 1/2 days.

If you look at it as not a retainer but fees if she sends them for 1 day you are in profit of 60 and profit for two days of 20 pound. Unless the children are normally before and after school.

Would I do this then yes especially if they were reliable parents. Better the devil you know sometimes.

Koala
18-04-2013, 10:42 AM
It is a clichet 'better the devil you know' and often a comforting one BUT

After you have done so much for her she should be paying you extra not trying to rip you off.

It's often the case - you do them a favour and they start to think you owe them and you should be grateful that you get the business.
The fact that she pays you on time is a basic requirement and that is how it should be they don't get freebies for that. Crikey she gets a £50 discount anyway.
The more you tell us that you do for them the more unbelievable is the request she is making. Why don't you just do it for FREE? :panic:

If you give in you will not be happy and it will spoil an already soured relationship.

ziggy
18-04-2013, 11:02 AM
fussyelmo: i dont really see it that way, maybe i am wrong. Other parents pay 50% when on holiday and dont complain

As i see it if she sends them 2 days while paying £100 retainer she is getting free care during those 2 days

Having already given her a big discount for working days i dont think she is being very fair expecting me to accept her request.

I am dreading this evening as i hate all this but i feel working for £2.22 per hour per child is being more than understanding, I am not prepared to work for nothing

FussyElmo
18-04-2013, 11:15 AM
fussyelmo: i dont really see it that way, maybe i am wrong. Other parents pay 50% when on holiday and dont complain

As i see it if she sends them 2 days while paying £100 retainer she is getting free care during those 2 days

Having already given her a big discount for working days i dont think she is being very fair expecting me to accept her request.

I am dreading this evening as i hate all this but i feel working for £2.22 per hour per child is being more than understanding, I am not prepared to work for nothing

Merely offering a different point of view :thumbsup:

If you are confident that the other enquiries will sign up then you have nothing to lose :)

Starfish007
18-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Havent got long to post but didnt want to read and run. I wouldnt let a parent tell me how much they are happy to pay. Who knows where it will end, she may have other ideas of cost cutting if you give into her this time and you may end up loosing the children anyway. i would call her bluff and consider the new families if needed. Just my opinion x

ziggy
18-04-2013, 11:46 AM
I have a lot to lose but i think parent is taking advantage and i agree with starfish, will she start saying in september she cant afford care for 3 children and expect me to reduce fees even further?

I think i am gonna have to be strong and call her bluff

lynnfi
18-04-2013, 12:00 PM
I say well done for sticking to your thoughts. If she feels she can bargain with you in this way where you loose, then if you accept she will probably think it is fine for her to do it all the time, and you are up to some future trouble imo.
Good luck with tonight. You owe it to you ;-), already 2.22 is too little, so do not let her have her way! I would put my fees from September so that you win at least 3 pounds an hour per child. :)

ziggy
18-04-2013, 12:04 PM
thank you, it wont be easy this evening

I find it hard charging only £2.22 an hour so dont really think i can let her away with this

scottishlass
18-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Mummy came in today all smiles but had to rush off for bin men lol

anyway i have written down her options and will hand them to her at home time:

Option 1: Pay £100 pr week retainer to keep places for September
Option 2: Pay £140 pr week ( 2 days care and 3 days retainer)

I have had enquiries from 2 other families who i am going to chat to today, plus social worker just phoned asking if i had space for a 3yr old in foster care.

So I am gonna be very brave and call her bluff

she can pay me or leave

It is times like this i wish i had support but living alone it isnt easy

Good for you! Sounds like you have been very fair! X

natalieatk
18-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Stand your ground! I have a parent like that! Very intimidating! Why should you work for free! You ca always find other childrenN try not to think of the money your losing!! Think of it as a difficult parent your losing and Lear from your past and don't help out others! You have been more than accommodating to her needs!!

Another provider wouldn't let her get away with his she treats you so don't let her get away with it!!
Let us know what happens x

ziggy
19-04-2013, 10:47 AM
wasnt brave enough last night but determined to do it tonite

She also mentioned that she may not be sending new baby till January!!!!! Would i be entitled to a retainer to keep space for baby? Seems crazy keeping a place all that time when i'm turning others away now

smurfette
19-04-2013, 12:16 PM
wasnt brave enough last night but determined to do it tonite

She also mentioned that she may not be sending new baby till January!!!!! Would i be entitled to a retainer to keep space for baby? Seems crazy keeping a place all that time when i'm turning others away now

Oh gosh! That is the problem with babies on maternity leave!!! And some never go back at all! Definitely a retainer if you could fill the place and tough if she doesn't want to pay one and its not there! Hugs for good luck for later.. Be strong you can do it!! Let us know how it goes xx

ziggy
19-04-2013, 12:52 PM
thank you. I'm not sure how much to charge for retainer, thought i could ask for a retainer or take baby 2 days a week.

smurfette
19-04-2013, 01:05 PM
thank you. I'm not sure how much to charge for retainer, thought i could ask for a retainer or take baby 2 days a week.

Think it's normally 50% of the hours they want, and yes they would be able to use those hours I think? Not a bad idea to get baby used to you anyway though mummy might not want to lose two days a week with Lo but maybe by Sept she will! Wouldn't hold space for nothing in case she decides she can't afford to go back to work which seems possible!

ziggy
19-04-2013, 02:20 PM
yes, her not going back to work is what's worrying me when i am turning others away

wendywu
19-04-2013, 02:29 PM
I think i would cut my losses and take on new children , if you charge your proper rate you will be 50 pounds per week better off for a start. This situation sound like there is just too much to go wrong :panic:

Koala
19-04-2013, 02:48 PM
I think i would cut my losses and take on new children , if you charge your proper rate you will be 50 pounds per week better off for a start. This situation sound like there is just too much to go wrong :panic:

Yep agree with you.
Cut your losses.

ziggy
19-04-2013, 03:10 PM
please wish me luck, she will be here in few mins

I have boys ready with their bags and have written down what i can offer her this summer

oh flip, i'm v nervous

smurfette
19-04-2013, 03:14 PM
please wish me luck, she will be here in few mins

I have boys ready with their bags and have written down what i can offer her this summer

oh flip, i'm v nervous

Hugs.. We are there with you in spirt backing u up

ziggy
19-04-2013, 03:15 PM
many many thanks xx

ziggy
19-04-2013, 03:23 PM
well i gave her paper with options written down, explained i have looked at figures and this best i can do, i cant do it for any less.

she said 'oh i knew you would do our best and we will talk about it on monday, is that alright?'

I said that was fine but i couldnt do more than was written on paper, explained i had thought about it for 2 days so it is now up to her

shortstuff
19-04-2013, 03:38 PM
wow i bet you feel relieved you have spoken to her about it. Well done you :clapping::clapping:

Koala
19-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Well done Ziggy.

:jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy: crack a bottle :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

ziggy
19-04-2013, 04:58 PM
wine time:clapping:

ziggy
19-04-2013, 06:30 PM
just spoken to mother of possibly new baby and tbh think i would be better off with this baby and other part timers

worried that if mummy i'm dealing with decides not to go back to work or at some point loses her job i will lose 3 children in one go

so half hoping now she decides to leave lol

sadly there is no after school care here so doubt she will but heyho its the weekend, will worry again on monday

ziggy
22-04-2013, 05:27 PM
as mentioned in my other post, mummy has agreed to pay £140 for 2 days care n 3 days retainer:clapping:

thank you for support, it was much needed last friday

smurfette
22-04-2013, 05:29 PM
as mentioned in my other post, mummy has agreed to pay £140 for 2 days care n 3 days retainer:clapping:

thank you for support, it was much needed last friday
Delighted u are happy with outcome well done you for sticking to your guns!!