PDA

View Full Version : Some warning would be useful

Ripeberry
17-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Mum of my 2 yr old mindee decided that it's time for him to potty train. Said he's unreliable, but because he has been dry at night for the last few days he must be ready. Said he won't tell you if he needs to go and needs to have nothing on in the downstairs department.
Well this is going to be fun...not!
Can't go out anywhere now :(
Oh yes and he's in a massive strop as well. What a fun day we'll have :rolleyes:

Koala
17-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Do you mean he has no clothes on whilst he is with you to aid toileting?

supermumy
17-04-2013, 08:32 AM
So she is going for the naked toilet training method?

Ripeberry
17-04-2013, 08:41 AM
So she is going for the naked toilet training method?

Yes, that's the system. All very well at my house but not something you can do at playgroup. Will see how he manages today and still go to group tomorrow, will just have to keep lots of spares with me.
Just got to find something to cover the car seat with!

little chickee
17-04-2013, 08:44 AM
I won't have children with no clothes on in my house.
Its not hygienic and not necesary. If he needs the potty you can easily help him take pants and trousers down.

rickysmiths
17-04-2013, 09:13 AM
No Way in my house. I do not support the no clothes method. It is un dignified, it is unhygenic in my home where there are other children, it does not support the child's independence in being able to remove their clothing in time.

I would have said no and we need to have a chat.

I expect my parents to crack potty training, not me. There are some things the parents need to do. I usually recommend they start when they can take two weeks off work and concentrate on it at home in a familiar place.

I do not, not go out, I will support an already potty trained child, however I ask for several changes of clothes and I have a travel potty so normal school runs and outings etc continue.

Bridey
17-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Completely agree with rickysmiths. I am happy to SUPPORT parents who are potty training their child but there is no way I would have a half naked child wandering around my setting piddling on the floor like a puppy. I would also wish parents to discuss potty training with me so we can agree together on the best time and way to do it.

harleyrider
17-04-2013, 09:24 AM
No Way in my house. I do not support the no clothes method. It is un dignified, it is unhygenic in my home where there are other children, it does not support the child's independence in being able to remove their clothing in time.

I expect my parents to crack potty training, not me. There are some things the parents need to do. I usually recommend they start when they can take two weeks off work and concentrate on it at home in a familiar place.

I do not, not go out, I will support an already potty trained child, however I ask for several changes of clothes and I have a travel potty so normal school runs and outings etc continue.

100% agree and do the same.
One child who was naked at home but not with me was later discovered by myself to have thread worms! Imagine if I'd allowed him to be bottomless at my home:O

phoenix2010
17-04-2013, 09:27 AM
so he doesnt tell you when he needs to go , you just have to guess ??

and she thinks hes ready

basically hes going to pee all over your house then ? Good luck!

RuthJ
17-04-2013, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't have any bare bottoms in my house! Not hygienic and I wouldn't be happy from a safeguarding point of view either. I change nappies in a corner to allow privacy for the child, so I couldn't justify naked potty training.

mazza58
17-04-2013, 09:29 AM
I do not have half naked children in my house either, do not think it is fair on the child or good for the other children when they have accidents on the floor etc, i always feel that if the child does not know yet that they need the potty they are not ready, and like the others say i will work along side parents but i feel it is for them to do the potty training

suziealderton
17-04-2013, 09:30 AM
yuck yuck yuck-i hate children running round with no clothes on their bottom half!

hollyvilla
17-04-2013, 09:38 AM
I didn't have my own children running around half naked, so refuse to have minded children doing so. Unhygienic and if the child does not know when it needs the potty there is no point in trying to potty train.

Koala
17-04-2013, 09:40 AM
One child who was naked at home but not with me was later discovered by myself to have thread worms! Imagine if I'd allowed him to be bottomless at my home:O

Yes, I would NOT do this either, it's asking for trouble.

kellyskidz!
17-04-2013, 09:42 AM
What about his privacy, I also wouldn't be happy with a naked child running around my house, sitting on my furniture etc! Also if you mind older children its an awkward situation for them to be put in.
Hope he grasps toilet training quickly for your sake:)

Maza
17-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Would you allow an adult to be in your home with no bottom half clothes, sitting on your carpet and your sofa? Yuck, me neither. Very thoughtless of parents to expect this. Not fair on other children to be kept home from playgroups either. x

LauraS
17-04-2013, 09:57 AM
What rickysmith said.

When the children leave at night and I pass out with exhaustion, face down on my sofa, I do not want to be laying my cheek against somewhere where bare bottoms have rubbed. Bleurghhhhhhhh.

suziealderton
17-04-2013, 09:58 AM
What rickysmith said.

When the children leave at night and I pass out with exhaustion, face down on my sofa, I do not want to be laying my cheek against somewhere where bare bottoms have rubbed. Bleurghhhhhhhh.

euuuugh!!!!

lubeam
17-04-2013, 10:08 AM
What rickysmith said.

Cheek to cheek print :) lol

gingerjames1
17-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Basically the parent doesnt want any washing and cannot be bothered to go by some pants for this child!!! For the car i would go and buy some bed mats and fold up underneath child in car seat these are brilliant for collecting wee!! Have many children wee in a car seat and it never makes it too the seat!!! Good luck with the no clothes but id tell the parents that he needs to wearing clothes as not hygenic and needs to be able to access the outside area clothed.

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

tashaleee
17-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Mum of my 2 yr old mindee decided that it's time for him to potty train. Said he's unreliable, but because he has been dry at night for the last few days he must be ready. Said he won't tell you if he needs to go and needs to have nothing on in the downstairs department.
Well this is going to be fun...not!
Can't go out anywhere now :(
Oh yes and he's in a massive strop as well. What a fun day we'll have :rolleyes:

Sorry but NO WAY! What she is asking is unfair and not acceptable

I have a toilet training policy and would share that with parents.

While Im happy to support them I will NEVER have a child with a bare bottom - I dont think its appropriate in this day and age. I also dont want wee or poo all over my floor/furniture/rugs/toys etc....

I always insist that parents start at home and I will support if child shows signs - I have jokingly always said to parents 'dont you dare... and then exactly what your parent has just done to you' so they all know

Personally I think you need to speak with the parent and explain to them that if they have a crack over the weekend then you will discuss next week how to do it in your setting - I have also found that an only child at home with one to one attention may be dry, but the minute they come to us they see their friends and so much is going on they regress :thumbsup:

tulip0803
17-04-2013, 10:49 AM
No way hosay!

No naked children here either! Parents are advised to take time off work to start and when it is established I will support when they return.

Can't have naked children in my setting due to hygiene and privacy reasons - what they do at home is their business here it is mine.

carol cameron
17-04-2013, 12:49 PM
OOh. I bet you weren't expecting those responses !!

I'm afraid I agree with everyone else that it really isn't appropriate for mum to expect her child to be naked from the waist down in someone elses house.

As well as a hygiene issue - and it is- there is also the need for children to learn how it actually feels to be in wet pants (not for long, just to get the feeling of it) so that they will be encouraged to use the potty/toilet. Recent research has suggested that as nappies can be so effective now that children take longer to toilet train as there is no feeling of discomfort which actually seems to make sense.

Good luck with sorting it with mum. You could always tell her that you have discussed it with other childminders and it has made you think that you need to change things........
:)

The Juggler
17-04-2013, 01:02 PM
i echo what everyone else has said - I'd have told her to take a hike - not in those words of course ;)

no naked kids in my house, no potty training for kids who can't indicate with words of signing that they need to go and not for kids who haven't been reliably doing so at home for at least a week.

What does your policy say to this hon. I would add that if he has too many accidents then you can say back in pull ups or training pants please.

jackie 7
17-04-2013, 01:13 PM
No No no. if he cant tell you when he wants to go he is not ready. as all say parents start and you will assist. I was potty training a child i nannied and he wet his pants but the time i had the new pants ready he had done puddles all over the floor. it was a wooden floor but the reason i took so long was his sister and i were laughing about it.

Stapleton83
17-04-2013, 01:26 PM
I have one who went round in pants but have now got to the stage where I leave them on and his trousers. My view is if they can't tell you when they want a wee then they are not ready to potty train. Otherwise you spend your life asking if they want a wee or putting them on the potty!

Be firm and say you have tried it/thought about it and do not feel it is appropriate and she either needs to crack it at home or bring large changes of clothes.

Cheeky mare she wants you to do all the hard work for her!

Good luck.

Sam x

chriss
17-04-2013, 01:30 PM
No no no..not at mine. No bare bottoms, undignified, safeguarding issues, hygeine issues..and we go out.

We have to leave something for the parents to do, so when the child is well established with potty training then I am happy to "support" the child, but am not doing the parents job for them. Really can't believe mum is expecting this of you...well I can lol, but the bare faced cheek of it !!:blush::p

ozzy10
17-04-2013, 01:40 PM
No bare bottoms in this house either apart from when my toddler decides to helpo by getting himself dressed in the morning!

mindee I have at the minute mum says i've sent him in pull up so you can get him to use the toilet he wears nappies at home and won't go near toilet or poitty! I've told her she needs to do toilet training at home and when she is I'm happy to support.

FizzWizz
17-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Absolutely no way would I allow this in my own home! Totally agree with everybody else, bare bottoms are not hygienic or appropriate with lots of other children around!

If you are going ahead, I hope you are having more success than you anticipated and have not got through too much disinfectant yet today! ;-)

rickysmiths
17-04-2013, 04:00 PM

Oh yuck!........

wellybelly
17-04-2013, 06:02 PM

Well said Rickysmiths, I had a parent arrive on a Monday and said "I've put her in knickers so if you can start the potty training..." I was dumbstruck! I had a day of outings planned and a new baby starting that day, it was awful. Told mum straight when she collected that it needs to be started at home and then I will follow once the child is making progress.

twinkletots
17-04-2013, 07:43 PM

Totally agree!! It's so unhygienic!

natalieatk
17-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Do you have a potty training policy! I wouldn't jave a child naked I my house! Noy child that's not my own! A parent told me she did this and I said I wasn't prepared to help if she wanted me to do that! Children need to learn to pull their own pants up and down!!
I had a child who is 2 1/2 and potty trained for 6mintjs and revelry wet 5 times on Monday! I had no spares and had to put a nappy on to keep her bottom covered rather than her sit on my sofa etc! Very unhygienic!! I would get a policy and give her a copy! 2 accidents in my house and your not ready!! Tell her to try again in a month x

Mrs Scrubbit
17-04-2013, 09:37 PM
In 23 yrs of minding I have never(and will never)assisted parents in potty training their child in this manner..totally unhygenic......a big YUK from me too x

Ripeberry
17-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all your replies. We survived the first day. I only took his trousers off but kept his pants on. The parents do let their boys go around the house and garden totally naked, especially in summer. I'm used to it, but they don't do that kind of thing at mine.
If he comes in jeans tomorrow, I think I'll put him in some looser shorts or sweat pants so he can pull them down properly.
I did have to prompt him loads of times and praised him when he went. But as everyone said. I don't want naked bottoms on my furniture :panic: