PDA

View Full Version : Nursery Learning Journal

hectors house
17-04-2013, 08:04 AM
I rang mindees Nursery yesterday to make appointment to visit his key worker to discuss his development and she mentioned that his mum had their LJ at home at the moment and she would ask her to bring it back so I could look at it - I said that I would ring the parent and ask her to bring it when she drops off mindee today. I sent parent a text and she agreed that she would, however she arrived this morning and said when she went to pick up child from Nursery yesterday they told her I could only look at LJ at Nursery and forbade her from bringing it today for me to look at overnight - told her it was private & confidential / data protection. So much for partnership sharing!

I don't want to spend too much time on this visit tomorrow - it is my day off.:(

Carolc
17-04-2013, 08:49 AM
That's ridiculous practice you are a professional person the same as them. Is this a private nursery by any chance?

hectors house
17-04-2013, 09:15 AM
No it is a Nursery attached to local children's centre - I will give them tomorrow a form signed by the parents to say they allow me to share learning and development with the Nursery and it should be that they share it back again! Surely though the LJ is the property of the child and it can be shared when it is at home with whoever the parent wants - one of my mindees showed it to his gran and great gran (his gran wrote me a letter, saying that it was lovely to see all the photos I take and that it made her cry).

Any help on what I should be discussing with key worker would be appreciated as the last Nursery visit (to a different nursery) was a waste of time?

Carolc
17-04-2013, 09:39 AM
I was going to say that it belongs to the child as well lol. What age is the wee one?

LauraS
17-04-2013, 10:03 AM
I had another cm say the same, child came to me from another cm where he'd been for a year. Cm stated to mum that due to data protection and in case I copied it etc I mustn't see the lj. Mum was only allowed to show preschool.

Lol. Not sure what the issue was there.

Id have called to speak to the nursery manager to clarify and cite the relevant bits of the eyfs and generally be a pain, but that's me :s

hectors house
17-04-2013, 10:27 AM
I could understand if when I went up to visit they said I couldn't borrow it to read at home but I can't understand how they can forbide the parent from bringing it to my house when it is her in possession!

Carolc
17-04-2013, 10:42 AM
I would be asking if rhwn think the child is doing thing that are age appropriate such as using a potty/ toilet independently, can the hold a pencil with a pincer grip, can the recognise enviromental print, can the make independent choices of what they want to play with or are they needing prompted by an adult x

hectors house
17-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Child is 4 and starting school in September - I don't any concerns about his development or learning - he is confident, bright child and between attending the Nursery 2 days a week and me 2 days a week is now well prepared for school. The only problems I & his mum encounter which Nursery may not be aware of (due to their setting) is that everything is done in his own time - getting shoes & coat on, eating lunch, tidying up etc which can be frustrating when trying to get somewhere on time.

I know I should have contacted Nursery before, only really doing it now as have an inspection due and don't want to be marked down for not sharing information with other providers (although Nursery have never contacted me).

Carolc
17-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Oh i think that's a boy thing i found a lot of kids in she nursery i worked in were the same on a ho slow! They probably put his shoes and coat on for him if they are going out. I would be worth asking if they would allow him to debit as his teacher isn't going to do it for him. My son was the same would take ages getting coat and shoes done in nursery hut i just sat and waited could take us 20 mins sometimes but worth it on the end.

loocyloo
17-04-2013, 11:52 AM
i went to pick up mindee from nursery one afternoon ( don't usually have LO that day ) and teacher put on his coat & shoes ... as i was just standing there waiting for him to do it ... she said ''oh we always help him, he can't do it '' i said '' he can! and always does at my house! '' :laughing:

SYLVIA
17-04-2013, 12:14 PM
i went to pick up mindee from nursery one afternoon ( don't usually have LO that day ) and teacher put on his coat & shoes ... as i was just standing there waiting for him to do it ... she said ''oh we always help him, he can't do it '' i said '' he can! and always does at my house! '' :laughing:

yes and if they had bothered to share info like we are all supposed to they would have found that out. I have 4 pre schoolies with me and the schools have never asked me about their development

loocyloo
17-04-2013, 12:26 PM
yes and if they had bothered to share info like we are all supposed to they would have found that out. I have 4 pre schoolies with me and the schools have never asked me about their development

i know his keyworker had read his latest summative assessment i had dropped in ; well, presumed she had as it was signed and given back to me ... and i know its in his LJ ... but obviously they don't actually share that info with anyone else, or maybe they didn't take in what i had written!

hectors house
17-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Have just spend an hour doing his 6 month review (summative assessment) while he watched TV and others asleep - I am already giving up time to visit Nursery tomorrow on my day off and am so far behind with paperwork, I just had to do it during the day.