PDA

View Full Version : diarrhea or not?

toddlers896
15-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Sorry to be rude, I hope you are not eating dinner while reading this but how do I tell if a child has diarrhea or not.

One of my mindees is nearly two and I have never seen a normal poo. It is always very runny and ime not sure if this is normal for a young child or not. I don't have any kids of my own so I have had no experience with this. On Friday her poo was green and it made the skin of her bottom bleed. I cant say to mum ime not having her because her poos are always runny so what do you think?
:ohdear:

Rick
15-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Sorry to be rude, I hope you are not eating dinner while reading this but how do I tell if a child has diarrhea or not.

One of my mindees is nearly two and I have never seen a normal poo. It is always very runny and ime not sure if this is normal for a young child or not. I don't have any kids of my own so I have had no experience with this. On Friday her poo was green and it made the skin of her bottom bleed. I cant say to mum ime not having her because her poos are always runny so what do you think?
:ohdear:

Very topical subject. Was changing DS's nappy at 4 this morning. His has been almost watery in consistency, very little, if any solids and light brown in colour. He normally has solid poos, occasionally a bit less solid if he has drunk a lot that day.

Does your LO drink quite a lot? If not then it doesn't sound normal. But it certainly doesn't sound like diarrhoea.

Again apologise if anyone's eating a watery, light brown dinner tonight :doh:

funemnx
15-04-2013, 06:58 PM
I think some children just seem to have runny poo. A couple of my lo's have never had anything other than runny. I think the difference is that with diarrhea it is very frequent? I sometimes wonder if there is a food intolerence....

MessybutHappy
15-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Lovely topic!!

I go more on "different from normal and more frequent" to say it's time for them to go home. Some are "normally" cow-patters, some are "normally" play dough consistency!!

I learned that green often indicates intolerance from our own little cow-patter.

I think frequency is often the best indicator, one looser than normal motion could be teething or a reaction to more fruit or veg than usual...but not much help in your current situation, sorry, I guess each child is different.

Helen79
15-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Some children can have toddler diarrhea which isn't caused by being ill and they normally grow out of it. Often eating wheat can make it worse. Eating blueberries can make poo green. If they're normally runny I'd just assume that was normal for her and wouldn't worry unless she was going a lot more often.

MessybutHappy
15-04-2013, 08:18 PM
I never knew that about blueberries! It is true, you do learn something new every day!!!

chriss
15-04-2013, 09:41 PM
and a bug is usually smelly lol:blush::blush:

toddlers896
16-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Thanks, lots of interesting views about poos.

This is probably normal for her after reading here so I will assume its diarrhea if it happens more frequently on the same day.

I loved the cowpat one, I couldn't have described it better myself lol x

clareelizabeth1
16-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Yes I loved they cowpat one and blueberries turning poo green I only knew about beat root making your poo look like blood.