PDA

View Full Version : Book keeping courses

littleDs31
15-04-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm thinking of looking into a book keeping course just to make sure I'm doing everything right. Has anyone completed one? Is it worth paying for? Finances are a bit tight at present as I am very new to this world!! :)

mrs_scottydog
15-04-2013, 03:46 PM
I have always used the Accounts Book from the NCMA (or PACEY). You fill everything in weekly, then monthly and at the end of the year it tells you what to put on your tax return. I've found it very simple to use. You could always try it and then make up your own, must be a lot cheaper than a book keeping course, especially if money is tight. Hx

suziealderton
15-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm thinking of looking into a book keeping course just to make sure I'm doing everything right. Has anyone completed one? Is it worth paying for? Finances are a bit tight at present as I am very new to this world!! :)

have you got a copy of the chilminder bookkeeping from hmrc? its very handy, clear and ncma do a very easy to use accounts book x

chezzagriff
15-04-2013, 05:11 PM
How do you get a copy from the HMRC? Do you just ring and ask them? I just have a reciept book that starts new from April to April and keep all of my reciepts together so that at the end of the year I can calculate it. I am new to this too though so wouldnt mind looking at a copy of the HMRC book.

suziealderton
15-04-2013, 05:14 PM
How do you get a copy from the HMRC? Do you just ring and ask them? I just have a reciept book that starts new from April to April and keep all of my reciepts together so that at the end of the year I can calculate it. I am new to this too though so wouldnt mind looking at a copy of the HMRC book.

i got mine from my local authority, they ran business workshops which were really helpful. will dig it out when the kids are in bed x

suziealderton
15-04-2013, 05:52 PM
i got mine from my local authority, they ran business workshops which were really helpful. will dig it out when the kids are in bed x

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim52751.htm

suziealderton
15-04-2013, 05:52 PM
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim52751.htm

it mentions the booklet in here too x

mum24
15-04-2013, 05:56 PM
I use a spreadsheet from the forum, one of the members has provided it free of charge.
Sorry I am on my phone so can't see who did it, but I think it is in the tax and invoice section. It really is very simple, clear and easy to use. You do not need to pay for training, just enter your payments and expenses and it is all calculated for you.
I used pity last year, and am more using it again this year. Much the simplest system I have had so far in 9 years.
Do make sure you back it up though, just on car you have a problem with your PC, I keep mine on a memory stick.

littleDs31
22-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all your advice everyone, hate this side of the job :(

Chatterbox Childcare
22-04-2013, 09:48 AM
If you are a PACEY members I would suggest using their books for the first year and if you are confident after that design your own or continue with theirs.

There is a long suggested list in the downloads section of what you can claim.

Have you got local childminders who can help? Always come back and ask here if you are unsure