PDA

View Full Version : Complaints help

Logan
15-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Hi all,

Where do I find out more about what the procedures are & what process Ofsted need to follow if someone submits a complaint against you? e.g. Can they just turn up unannounced as I thought they could or are they legally obliged to inform you the day before they visit that a complaint has been made & they're coming out to see you?

When I try to search the Ofsted site I can only seem to find info about how to complain about Ofsted or about a provider, not what the procedures are.

Thanks

phoenix2010
15-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Have you checked your local safeguarding board website to see if there is any more info on there ?

blue bear
15-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Don't know where it is written, I think it depends on the type of complaint, if it's a safeguarding issue it's not unusual for them to just turn up (sometimes with the police)

sarah707
15-04-2013, 04:56 PM
It's all in here -

Ofsted | Compliance, investigation and enforcement handbook (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/compliance-investigation-and-enforcement-handbook)

Yes they can turn up unannounced - you are guilty until proven innocent and they can shut you down immediately - as in sit and wait with you for parents to collect.

They have a legal right to see all your documentation including contracts and write to your parents as well...

You have very few rights through the whole process.

If you need support we will help you xx

Logan
15-04-2013, 05:01 PM
It's all in here -

Ofsted | Compliance, investigation and enforcement handbook (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/compliance-investigation-and-enforcement-handbook)

Yes they can turn up unannounced - you are guilty until proven innocent and they can shut you down immediately (as it sit and wait with you for parents to collect).

They have a legal right to see all your documentation including contracts and write to your parents as well...

You have very few rights through the whole process.

If you need support we will help you xx

Thanks Sarah, will have a read through.
Thankfully I've not been complained about but I know a couple of people who have & information given to them has seemed to be conflicting so I wanted to read up on it & check what's supposed to happen.

And really appreciate the comment about support - if I had a complaint made against me I know I'd be a wreck & be doubting myself even if I'd done nothing wrong. I'd really need that support.

Daisy De
15-04-2013, 05:22 PM
I have been childminding for 20 years I really don't think I have ever felt as vulnerable as I do nowadays :(

vals
16-04-2013, 06:49 AM
I had a complaint - I had given parent notice - Ofsted turned up unnanounced. He wasn't very nice and by the end of it I was getting quite cross- he read out the list of complaints, some of which were so weird I had no clue what he was going on about, and some weren't bad things eg. 'the childminder thinks its a problem if the child needs a wee every half hour'. At least I could answer that one, the child had a urine infection which I realised and let mum know!
Anyway, he left having found nothing wrong, though he tried hard to twist things I said, and tried to say I should do certain things without even asking what I did. He also had no idea that I had given the parent notice.
I got letter confirming they had visited and all was fine. But a month later Ofsted rang - my inspection was due- apparantly a complaint triggers an inspection even though the last one was good, and only a year before. Luckily this inspector was really nice and was the one I had the year before and she remembered me.

phoenix2010
16-04-2013, 07:30 AM
I do think action should be taken against parents that make malicious complaints , not only is it wasting OFSTEDS time and often the police and social services but the distress caused to the childminders is horrendous , not to mention damage to reputation and business

I understand that they have to investigate all complaints but i do think that parents should be advised when making complaints that if they are found to be malicious then there could be consequences for them , it might make a few people think twice