PDA

View Full Version : outdoor area

ozzy10
15-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Hi

We have just started work building a playroom on the back of the house :). Very excited its a blank canvas for me to have how I'd like!

We have quite a big garden and are going to have a patio right outside the playroom. I'm wanting have yge patio covered so hopefully even in lots of rain the children can still be outside. I'm just not sure how to do it! Ideas so far are build wooden shade over (hubby not keen on permanent cover for when he wants to sit out in the sun), retractable awning type thing, or gazebo I have up when im working and take down at the weekend?

Does anyone have anything similar or any ideaa?

Thanks

Jenna
15-04-2013, 02:47 PM
No ideas but very jealous it all sounds lovely x

jillplum
15-04-2013, 04:29 PM
I am interested to read replies as I would like to put a shelter over the side of my patio and cant decide how to do it.

clareelizabeth1
15-04-2013, 04:32 PM
I am doing one oh is going to build it. We were going to have part of the roof solid and the other part translucent corrugated roof so that we still get the sun but also shade. Hopefully it will work.

Loushah
15-04-2013, 04:33 PM
I am wondering exactly the same thing.....I've had a gazebo in the past which broke when we had strong winds. I am thinking more retractable awning, however, this is probably an expensive option. Can pick up cheap gazebo's...I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what other people have done

hectors house
15-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Looking to do the same but if you build a permanent structure that is attached to the house you can't put it through as expenses and if you buy an awning or gazebo half the time you can't use them in heavy rain or snow - sometimes they aren't even showerproof as designed to shade you from the sun - so still can't make up our minds.

If you are having a large patio could you only cover 3 or 4 ft away from the wall which would give the children shelter to play with sandpit or chalk boards and then your husband could sit in sun on uncovered part - or did you want them to be able to play on bikes etc all year round?

ozzy10
15-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm not too bothered about claiming it on expenses as have 2 little ones myself and they will use it too.

Hadn't thought about the strength and using in heavy snow and rain. My eldest will go out in anything he just loves to be outside.

Would be nice if they could ride bikes under it too. Thinking a structure is sounding best but have it not covering all the patio just wondering if I will need planning permission as it will be permanent.

MrsP2C
15-04-2013, 07:29 PM
We've been looking into some sort of canopy/awning and are considering a wooden pergola type structure with retractable canopy along these lines NEW GARDEN PATIO WOODEN RETRACTABLE PERGOLA WATERPROOF SUN RAIN CANOPY AWNING | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GARDEN-PATIO-WOODEN-RETRACTABLE-PERGOLA-WATERPROOF-SUN-RAIN-CANOPY-AWNING-/271174602627?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Conservatory_Patio_ bbq_Patio_Covers_Heating&hash=item3f23440f83)

hectors house
15-04-2013, 08:11 PM
The material on the one on the link doesn't look very strong, also is says "showerproof" and something about easily removeable fabric for the winter which means they don't expect it to be used in the winter due to high winds and weight of snow on canopy. Think we are going to build one with timber supports and use poly carbonate sheeting (like conservatory roofing) for the roof to make sure the kitchen and dining room don't lose their natural light.

Smiley
16-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Looks like many of us are thinking the same, we got a couple of brochures from companies but £3000 is crazy so wondering about DIY version as hubby is very handy
With some companies it's possible to get the polycarbonate sheets cut to size

Polycarbonate Shop - Polycarbonate cut to size (http://www.polycarbonateshop.co.uk/)
Polycarbonate Roofing Panels | Polycarbonate Sheets | Polycarbonate (http://www.livsupplies.co.uk/Polycarbonate_roofing_panels.html)

3m Projection Patio Canopy (http://www.thecanopyshop.co.uk/patio-canopies/3-0-patio-canopy.html)

pipandbaz
16-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Aluminum canopy on ebay looks good, think I may show my husband - he's not gonna be happy! ;-) more work

Tazmin68
16-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I have an electric awning. We bought it 6 years ago. We use it loads and would not be without it. It automatically comes in if it gets windy as there is a wind sensor on it.

Tazmin68
17-04-2013, 01:35 PM
I have an electric awning. We bought it 6 years ago. We use it loads and would not be without it. It automatically comes in if it gets windy as there is a wind sensor on it.
It cost about £1200 and is 4 x 3 metres

ozzy10
17-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Some good ideas, think I'm going to get room built and sorted before I decide for definate what to havebuyt think i will go for part covering patio and get hubby to make wooden frame and do it ourselves.