PDA

View Full Version : Fish tank/Undersea World

lilac_dragon
15-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone, I'd appreciate some advice about a fish tank please!

We've just emptied and demolished a shed for a new aviary to be built for a Barn Owl, and in the deepest darkest corner was a small fish tank. Probably from when the kids were little and still won goldfish at the local fair!

It's glass not plastic, and I wondered about it being used as a small undersea world play tank. It would be on the ground, so it can't fall over and smash. It has no cracks or chips to cause cuts.
I'm just hesitating because it's glass, and I'm just not sure...............

What do you think, would you let the children play with it? I'm always hovering around in the background so would know if there was a problem. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

hectors house
15-04-2013, 12:38 PM
I had a similar problem - we had a large glass tank that we didn't use any more, but in the end I got a clear plastic toy box to be our under the sea world - we had shells in it and bubble wrap (sea weed) bought a piece of plastic with a coral sea scape on from aquatic centre and the action men divers and the children had a great time.

RuthJ
15-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I guess it depends on the ages of the children you mind. I have a thrower here so wouldn't be comfortable with them having access to a glass tank.

Love that you're getting a Barn Owl! How exciting!

lilac_dragon
16-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Thank you for your comments!

And Yes, it's very exciting getting a Barn Owl. DD is a Trainee Ecologist and has been a volunteer at a Bird of Prey Centre for a couple of years and this is one she used to fly in the displays, now moving on to us! DD is going to train it up to fly up the aisle at weddings with the ring attached to his leg. She needs to train me too, as when she gets married in a couple of years time I have every intention of doing this for her!!!!

lubeam
16-04-2013, 07:13 PM
How lovely :) that's an amazing idea :) gutted I'm already married lol