PDA

View Full Version : Very short term ratio changes

Sarsar3NCH
15-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Hi, yet another thread about ratios! I have a regular ratio change in place as a lo added an extra day, I have covered this with a risk assessment. However as most of my children are part time I have frequent occasions where parents need to do a few extra hours which puts me to 4 or v. occasionally 5 u5s, this is often at short notice, my risk assessment is comprehensive and covers all eventualities but I can't possibly get written permission from parents for each occasion, is it ok to have a general letter stating that I will follow Ofsted guidelines when making a temporary change to my ratios and that I have risk assessed and I will keep a log should parents wish to look at it at ant time and ask parents to sign to keep on file?
I have been covering these changes by using my mum who is registered as my assistant but I would like the flexibility to be able to cover it on my own, and she would like her life back!

bunyip
15-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi, yet another thread about ratios! I have a regular ratio change in place as a lo added an extra day, I have covered this with a risk assessment. However as most of my children are part time I have frequent occasions where parents need to do a few extra hours which puts me to 4 or v. occasionally 5 u5s, this is often at short notice, my risk assessment is comprehensive and covers all eventualities but I can't possibly get written permission from parents for each occasion, is it ok to have a general letter stating that I will follow Ofsted guidelines when making a temporary change to my ratios and that I have risk assessed and I will keep a log should parents wish to look at it at ant time and ask parents to sign to keep on file?
I have been covering these changes by using my mum who is registered as my assistant but I would like the flexibility to be able to cover it on my own, and she would like her life back!

I would've thought that you can get each parent's general consent for this, rather than asking them all for permission every single time it happens. The key requirement is shown within EYFS Statutory Framework:-

3.40 If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and inspectors, that the individual needs of all the children are being met, then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby.

Ofsted's related guidance document states that you should "consult" the parents. So I would take it that the parent is signing to say they are satisfied their child's individual needs are being met, not just that they give permission for you to do it on "such-and-such days".

I'm a little puzzled when you say, "I have a regular ratio change in place". This sounds contrary to the Ofsted rule that increased numbers must not be "the norm" - or is it just the way I'm reading your wording? :confused:

Sarsar3NCH
15-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Yes by regular it's every Tuesday until May, but I mean its the same every week until another lo goes to preschool

sarah707
15-04-2013, 05:13 PM
You can only change the conditions of your registration in exceptional circumstances - and each one must be treated individually according to Ofsted guidance.

What you have to think is - Ofsted receive an 'over-minding' complaint and knock on your door - they ask about attendance on a specific day and time - do you have evidence that you have consulted with parents, written your RA etc for that variation?

Hth :D