PDA

View Full Version : Recording your CPD

littleDs31
14-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Just wondering how you record your CPD. Is there a format to follow? What kind of things are to be recorded other than courses? Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Samcat
14-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Our LA provides a CPD folder for people who work in early years.
It has various sections. I put all my certificates in there. One section is for noting down any future training needs that have been identified and how training can be sourced. Another is to note down all training, whether seminars, workshops, in house, e-learning etc, with dates, the provider and when it needs renewing, if necessary.
It also has sections where you can evaluate courses you've gone on if they've inspired you and note what ideas you'll try out to improve your practice.

moggy
14-04-2013, 04:38 PM
I am using the on-line CPD record with PACEY (old NCMA), I like the fact it is online (no paper) and it is easy to fill in.

littleDs31
14-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Wow your LA are good i might mention this to my DO to see if they have forgotten to provide me with this - probably not haha!!
Ill take a look at PACEY's website later.
Thanks

bunyip
14-04-2013, 05:10 PM
I am using the on-line CPD record with PACEY (old NCMA), I like the fact it is online (no paper) and it is easy to fill in.

Could you please provide a link to this? :)

Simona
14-04-2013, 05:19 PM
CPD is also reading articles in things like NWorld/EYE/Who Minds? etc, reading new Ofsted/DfE publications, searching online for childcare updates etc, meeting with other cms, updating your SEF, updating policies, forum where you access peer support, doing surveys and consultations, reading childcare related articles, meeting other professionals such as H/Visitors or Speech therapists or just talking to them, meetings with your EY team such as reviews
...and if you are on twitter and take part in @EYTalking on Tuesday night that counts too...all adds up

If you devise your own Word document with a simple table make sure you include date, action (why, when and how you did it) and reflection/outcome of your action...
if you want to be particular you can even add the time you spent on the task...the ncma Professional Standards do have that facility

In future when we have less support from LAs your CPD is evidence to Ofsted...I started mine in May 2012 and I just add anything I need to in minutes and keep a copy in my portfolio

Good luck

tulip0803
14-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Could you please provide a link to this? :)

Hi

You have to sign in to your My Pacey member's area using your membership number & password - then you will find it under my professional standards.

There are also going to be different levels of pacey membership dependant on CPD logged and reflective audit tool completed in this section (member/affiliate/fellow and ambassador).

bunyip
14-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks Tulip.

Gosh, they're not asking very much are they? A minimum of 25 hours CPD in a year to become a 'fellow'. That's absolutely nothing, since they consider talking to other CMs and time spent on a forum as CPD. Oh, we also have to work with families and help children achieve their potential.

If anyone can't achieve that, what on Earth were Ofsted thinking of when they registered them? :panic:

tulip0803
14-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks Tulip.

Gosh, they're not asking very much are they? A minimum of 25 hours CPD in a year to become a 'fellow'. That's absolutely nothing, since they consider talking to other CMs and time spent on a forum as CPD. Oh, we also have to work with families and help children achieve their potential.

If anyone can't achieve that, what on Earth were Ofsted thinking of when they registered them? :panic:

OH! :panic: Are we supposed to work with families? no-one has ever told me that before :panic: and children?????

I logged 25 hours in March! Without counting ALL the hours on here!

kp0781
14-04-2013, 07:09 PM
I also keep a paper copy and also use the pacey log. Tbh I don't log all the things mentioned below although I guess I should! Have just completed my level 3 do not sure how to log that in hours but that's definitely more than 25!!

Simona
14-04-2013, 09:15 PM
The ncma Professional Standards are a bit wanting in terms of challenge and aspirations????...25 hours is just over 2 hours per month!!!
no prescriptive way of doing it...do what you can !!