PDA

View Full Version : Parents signing my registeir

Glitter
13-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Hello,
I have read on some post recently that some childminders get parents to sign thier registeirs.
I am worried that I don't do this!
Is this a requirement of the EYFS, and why do parents sign it?
Thank you for any help you can give.
I am still new to childminding and Ofsted will be coming to do my first inspection soon and I want to get everything right.

Ripeberry
13-04-2013, 09:19 PM
I haven't done this for years! It's to do with confirming hours. I send a bill out each month with the hours and if paid it means that they agreed with them :thumbsup:

jo.jo76
13-04-2013, 09:24 PM
This is something I've never been sure of either. I don't get them to sign, but have heard people say you are supposed to. Ofsted didn't question me on it when I had my inspection

CLL
13-04-2013, 09:30 PM
If you use the NCMA register book there is a space for parental signature. Because it is there I get it signed but I do not think it is a requirement.

JumpingJacks
13-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Mine just sign a monthly sheet agreeing times for invoice.

step11
13-04-2013, 09:40 PM
When I had my inspection she looked at my register and said it should be signed. Everyone says something diff

Houlgated
13-04-2013, 09:50 PM
I use the ncma one and try to get parents to sign it but they drop off in a hurry on the morning and I hand child over to granny at school so it hasn't been singed for months, my inspection is overdue so I really ought to get it up to date just in case I have a fussy inspector

tashaleee
13-04-2013, 09:51 PM
EYFS from September clause 3.75 states

Providers must hold the following documentation:

A daily record of the names of the children being cared for on the premises, their hours of attendance

I dont think it said this on the old EYFS so I would take it that we do now have to get it signed and it has to be exact hours which might be different from the hours you get paid for :thumbsup:

jo.jo76
13-04-2013, 09:58 PM
EYFS from September clause 3.75 states

Providers must hold the following documentation:

A daily record of the names of the children being cared for on the premises, their hours of attendance

I dont think it said this on the old EYFS so I would take it that we do now have to get it signed and it has to be exact hours which might be different from the hours you get paid for :thumbsup:

Still doesn't say it actually must be signed though

JumpingJacks
13-04-2013, 10:13 PM
I have a daily record for mine and ofsteds purposes and a summary that is signed

mum24
13-04-2013, 10:26 PM
I used to try to get my register signed, but some children are picked up at school or pre school, so parents are not able to sign anyway. I tried using a weekly register and asked parents to sign when they could, but because half the time they were in a rush, they were not happy about it, and I had one Mum who thought it was really sweet of her little darling age 2 to want to sign the register too, and gave her the pen to scribble all over it!!
I now write as far as possible the exact times I have the lo's in my daily diary, and make a note of the reason why if the time differs from the usual contracted hours. If I know beforehand from parent that they will be late or early I ask then to email and I print it and put it in the diary.

christine e
13-04-2013, 10:45 PM
I use to get parents to sign but don't now because most children are dropped off by one parent and picked up by another and some of the children are neighbours and parents take it in turns to collect all the children so if I ask them to sign the register they cannot be sure of the times they are signing for so what is the point - how would that stand in a court of law asking them to sign something that I knowingly knew they could not be sure of.

TooEarlyForGin?
13-04-2013, 11:15 PM
I have tried to get parents to sign, and know its considered good practice, but also find it very difficult to get parents to sign on a regular basis. I would end up getting them to sign it monthly, which also doesn't seem right.

I have given up, based on the fact that nurseries, pre-school or primary schools, all keep registers but do not require parents to countersign.

My DO and OFSTED have not commented at all, and I am an outstanding, accredited childminder.

Jenna
14-04-2013, 12:13 AM
Most of my parents are good and sign it weekly, yet I've got one mum who's like a whirlwind when she comes in daughter 3.5 starts playing up won't put shoes on, coat on the usual stuff starts running around shouting and just being a right pain so never seem to have time to do it, collection with this 1 is always the most stressful time of the day and mum in no form makes it any easier.