PDA

View Full Version : dogs

Lora
02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
hi,

i was just wondering iif you can have dogs if you childmind?? xx

butterfly
02-07-2008, 05:36 PM
ys that's fine. you have to think about where they'll be when you mind and the health and safety to do with them. my pre-reg inspector was actually allergic to dogs so i thought i was done for but she was fine. i have a cocker spaniel. he goes in the kitchen when people arrives as he gets excitable but then he comes out and he's fine. she was unsure about his water bowl being on the floor but just said i would have to rethink it if i had a crawler.

sarah707
02-07-2008, 05:39 PM
the inspector will also be impressed if you have vets paperwork to show as well as a risk assessment.

What kind of dogs have you got?

Oh and welcome to the forum! Don't forget to say hello to everyone! :D

Lora
02-07-2008, 06:15 PM
the inspector will also be impressed if you have vets paperwork to show as well as a risk assessment.

What kind of dogs have you got?

Oh and welcome to the forum! Don't forget to say hello to everyone! :D

what sort of paper work from the vets?

i have 2 dog a choc lab and a staffy but he can be taken to work with mypartner but hes soft as a brush both are. x

shopshelleyd
02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi

I have 2 chocolate labs and both are great with the kids although I don't let them in the playroom for hygiene reasons. My last inspector was fine but I am due my next one so hope I don't get an anti dog one this time!

Also great site found it really interesting and everyone seems so nice and helpful.

Shelley

Mrs M
03-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi, I have two lovely dogs. However, we have a dog pound for them so they're outside during the day. They have a kennel and are very happy outside, probably happier than they would be inside with the noise us lot make during the day!
As the others have said, write a pets policy, be very open with parents regarding your dogs, ensure they're up to date with their vaccinations and keep your home as clean as possible. I hoover and disinfect the floors each morning even though my dogs only come in during the evening.

FizzysFriends
03-07-2008, 11:00 AM
I have a dog (and also dog sit) and she has her own room to go to upstairs, Im not sure she'd like to constant noise.

Lora
03-07-2008, 10:01 PM
thanks everyone you are all really helpful.
that something else off my mind then, the dogs stay outside during the day and just come in at night to sleep, so the house stays clean jst have to do the kitchen as thats where they sleep. thinking about getting a kennel with a run for them to atop in rather than having the full run off the garden? xx

Helpinghands
11-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I have a King Charles Spaniel and he dosn't really take any notice of the children. He's also very exciteable when people come over, but he quickly settles down and sleeps all day. As for the water bowl, I am also unsure about, how are they supposed to drink if it's not on the floor?

I have a pet policy and also keep updated records in my portfolio. I don't think i could ban my dog to a kennel or room for the day tho, they also need space and are a great stimulation for the children.

disney
12-08-2008, 01:14 PM
i also have a very freindly king charles and i have a pet policy stating that he has been wormed , flead , vacanated and bathed & groomed on certain dates and always make sure mindees wash hands after touching him :)
as for the bowl i mentioned to my inspector be for she had chance and said i dont put food down during minding hours for hygeine reasons but did not know what to do about water bowl as i did not want to get into trouble by the r s p c a for cruelty for no water :D and she said its ok just dont let the children drink it :laughing:
also during my inspection my dog jumped on the table while we was eating our lunch:eek: bang goes my hygeine , no not at all she was :laughing: and i still got good x

EllieF
12-08-2008, 01:45 PM
My terrier stays outside during childminding hours as although he is great with my kids, a real softy, I would not want to chance it with other peoples children
Ellie

Paula J
12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Hello and welcome all I have to add is make sure you have a policy signed by parents as regard handling the dogs and feeding the dogs include on it about washing hands afterwards etc and asking parents about pet hair allergies that way if parents say it is ok for their child to be around your dogs you are covered as regards allergies Speak soon Paula:)

kellyg
21-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I had the same worries, especially as I own 2 Rottweilers. My dogs are real softies too and are fab with kids, especially my daughter who cant get enough of them. Having said that I can happily watch my daughter with the dogs but put another 2 kids in to the mix and I would not like to chance the dogs getting a poke in the eye or worse one of the children bitten, for that reason and because I can not be doing with the clean up each night, my dogs live in a kennel and come in of an evening at the weekends as it allows me time to clean up. I have to say that any dogs is a risk to a child, dogs do not understand inquisitive children and the most gentle of dogs can let out a nip, doing some serious damage. All I would say is for your sake and the children’s it may be best to get a run for the dogs to go in of a day, where they can have a safe haven away from the noise and chaos - also given that you also have a breed not looked upon to greatly it will fair better when obtaining clients as they will feel happier knowing the dogs can not get to the children - IYKWIM?

My dogs are at the top end of the garden, separated by another wall and gate - the children to see, meet and stroke them but I don’t have to worry about them of a day, they have their long walk in the morning (therefore no mess in the garden) chill in the day and have another walk when my partner arrives home - they are happy and so are me and the kids - oh and my DP built our kennel, he is not good with DIY but he saved us a load...PM me if you want info re this ;)