PDA

View Full Version : Sickness and Diarrhoea...grrr

Rick
13-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Just a moan really......

So mindee was off week before last with sickness and diarrhoea and parent assured me she was fine over the weekend last weekend. That would have meant 48 hours free so I said ok to come back Monday. Then Thursday I start feeling sick and the rest of it. My son starts getting runny nappies. Now I've got to shut on Monday even though the child who normally comes then was the one who gave the bug to us! So instead of me being paid last Monday with LO staying at home as not completely well, I'm now going to get no money as technically it is ME closing even though it is parents fault!

I suppose it's just one of those things, she assured me she wouldn't put us at risk, particularly as my wife is 38 weeks pregnant, but she also doesn't like to pay and not receive care :angry:

sarah707
13-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Oh poor you I really feel for you! You are doing the right thing closing but it's very annoying isn't it?

Hugs xx

MessybutHappy
13-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Ranting with you!

Arghhh, that's
a. unfair and
b. selfish.

I hope you all recover and your wife doesn't get it. Wishing you well!

FussyElmo
13-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Just a moan really......

So mindee was off week before last with sickness and diarrhoea and parent assured me she was fine over the weekend last weekend. That would have meant 48 hours free so I said ok to come back Monday. Then Thursday I start feeling sick and the rest of it. My son starts getting runny nappies. Now I've got to shut on Monday even though the child who normally comes then was the one who gave the bug to us! So instead of me being paid last Monday with LO staying at home as not completely well, I'm now going to get no money as technically it is ME closing even though it is parents fault!

I suppose it's just one of those things, she assured me she wouldn't put us at risk, particularly as my wife is 38 weeks pregnant, but she also doesn't like to pay and not receive care :angry:

So was the mindee sick when they came back?

step11
13-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Well it's gone from my son to my partner I hope I don't catch it. Was shut Thursday and Friday. #cry#

Rick
13-04-2013, 06:36 PM
So was the mindee sick when they came back?

No, seemed ok although not quite as sprightly as usual. Her sister also comes the same day but she hasn't had it at all. I don't think their hygiene at home is very good. My wife is friends on Facebook and has shown me posts where LO has hands in the toilet or sister's potty etc. They always seem to be ill.

My wife has been fine, she hasn't been changing nappies and we have used Dettol spray on everything.

I think I had to close anyway as I'm still not 100% and not slept much last night for fear of what might happen if I wasn't fully awake!

Rick
13-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Oh poor you I really feel for you! You are doing the right thing closing but it's very annoying isn't it?

Hugs xx

I think more annoying because they caused it! Now they won't have to pay as I am technically the one not able to offer care! Hard as well as it is my wife's friend BUT I did trust her not to send her if she thought LO was not well and had been clear for 48 hours. I believe she genuinely thought she was ok as she didn't want to risk it with my wife.

I just hope noone else has caught it :panic:

FussyElmo
13-04-2013, 06:48 PM
I think more annoying because they caused it! Now they won't have to pay as I am technically the one not able to offer care! Hard as well as it is my wife's friend BUT I did trust her not to send her if she thought LO was not well and had been clear for 48 hours. I believe she genuinely thought she was ok as she didn't want to risk it with my wife.

I just hope noone else has caught it :panic:

In fairness to the mum if the child wasn't ill with you from the Monday onwards there is no saying you caught it from them. Yes its possible and the drawback of this job :(

Hope you are all feeling better soon and your wife doesn't catch it.

MessybutHappy
13-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Oh, sorry, maybe not selfish then, just misguided? I suppose too that you could have picked something up somewhere else..seems unlikely from what you've said though.

I promise to try not to jump to conclusions again! I had one not v well last week, mum said "just tething", then um, sorry, you were right he projectile vomited in the night. I do wonder if she knew there was a problem when she dropped him... Cue much disinfecting of toys!

hectors house
13-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Hope you feel better soon - I must admit that if I have one come back after so called 48 hours exclusion (but difficult to prove on a Monday) I go overboard on the anti bac spray and gel - I use on me and all children (hand wash gel that is - not spray) every half an hour regardless of whether anyone has been to loo, I also only have out toys that can be liberally sprayed with anti bac.

Rick
13-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Oh, sorry, maybe not selfish then, just misguided? I suppose too that you could have picked something up somewhere else..seems unlikely from what you've said though.

I promise to try not to jump to conclusions again! I had one not v well last week, mum said "just tething", then um, sorry, you were right he projectile vomited in the night. I do wonder if she knew there was a problem when she dropped him... Cue much disinfecting of toys!

Almost certainly from LO, otherwise a bit of a coincidence. She seems to be the type of parent who prefers her children not to be at home much (can't understand that, she doesn't go out to work either). She was itching for her to come back to me on the Monday, texting me dead on 48 hours before I was due to have her saying she was fine. Maybe she was, can't be sure!

Is it possible to catch the bug even though seemingly ok?

natalieatk
14-04-2013, 07:10 AM
You may have caught it few days earlier and only now you became ill, unfortunately it's one of things you can't be clear where it was caught from. It could be a bug from them or you ate or something Didnt agree with you.

Every now and then I print out a newsletter informing parents of information, ie if its snowing reminding then to bring extra warm clothes and gloves etc and always add in about sickness and dihorea saying children must be kept home until 48 hours after the last bout of sickness or dihorea. That way it's not singling anyone out and it's there fit information only! Our school does the same thing! X

Emra81
14-04-2013, 07:25 AM
What a nightmare! Sickness n diarrhoea is hideous, especially in little ones.

It's so hard to stop the spread of it and there is so much of it about...my 1 year old has had a particularly persistent strain for the majority of the last week. 2 friends' youngsters had a v similar bug over roughly the same time period and we haven't been in contact with either of them for a good couple of weeks so it seems that all 3 kids picked it up from different places. Bleurgh!

chriss
14-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I think 48 hours is to be used as a guide. The bugs won't suddenly dissapear after 49 hours, probably just less risk of passing them on. If the child is still feeling a bit rough then it could still be in their system I would have thought.

shortstuff
14-04-2013, 10:40 AM
How are you and the family today Rick? Hope the wife hasn't gone down with it.

Rick
14-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Hi Gail

My son and I are still not right. Wife seems ok thanks, I have kept her away from nappies etc and cleaned everything with Dettol. I think I am going to have to shut Tuesday as well :angry:

Daisy De
14-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Should be starting to feel better now hopefully, speedy full recovery to you and your son :)

Rick
14-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Should be starting to feel better now hopefully, speedy full recovery to you and your son :)

Thanks. We've been reasonably ok in ourselves, bit off our food and obviously having to be near a toilet has limited what I could do this weekend! :rolleyes:

shortstuff
14-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi Gail

My son and I are still not right. Wife seems ok thanks, I have kept her away from nappies etc and cleaned everything with Dettol. I think I am going to have to shut Tuesday as well :angry:

Thank goodness your wife seems to have avoided it. Glad to hear you and little man are on the mend x

MessybutHappy
14-04-2013, 09:03 PM
If it's not too cheeky, when's your wife's due date? I've a feeling we'll all be stalking you for news much as we did when your inspection was due!!!!!

Rick
14-04-2013, 09:06 PM
If it's not too cheeky, when's your wife's due date? I've a feeling we'll all be stalking you for news much as we did when your inspection was due!!!!!

30th April so not long. I will await the stalking! I will put up a photo of newborn in due course :thumbsup:

Rick
15-04-2013, 07:32 AM
.......parent has now text me this morning asking if I could have her children if I was feeling ok as they were now immune! I said no because I was up half the night for myself and to change my son's runny nappy! She obviously thinks she will still have to pay, I haven't given her the good news that as I am closing she doesn't have to pay :angry:

RuthJ
15-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Oh no! Hope he's better soon :(

Rick
15-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Oh no! Hope he's better soon :(

Thanks. He seems totally fine otherwise. Obviously the longer it goes on the more money it costs me :(

angeldelight
15-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Hi Gail

Oooh sorry to hear your still not right

Hubby got poorly from one of mine last week too ...she forgot to tell me !!! It's so annoying he's had to take time off work

Get your strength back now and concentrate on getting better

Angel xx

Rick
15-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Oooh sorry to hear your still not right

Hubby got poorly from one of mine last week too ...she forgot to tell me !!! It's so annoying he's had to take time off work

Get your strength back now and concentrate on getting better

Angel xx

....that is I 'like' the last bit, not the first bit! Poor hubby. Hope feeling better now. :thumbsup:

MessybutHappy
15-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks. He seems totally fine otherwise. Obviously the longer it goes on the more money it costs me :(

Can we get loss of earnings insurance??? Or do we just have to "deal" with this?

Rick
15-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Can we get loss of earnings insurance??? Or do we just have to "deal" with this?

I'm not sure.....I have always assumed the latter! My policy is not to charge when I'm shut so I guess I could have had a different policy and parent would sign contract or not.
I personally am not someone who normally gets ill very often it but then I've only just started looking after children which opens up a whole new world of ailments!
I rarely took a day off sick in my old job and never had a day off sick at school!

MessybutHappy
15-04-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm not sure.....I have always assumed the latter! My policy is not to charge when I'm shut so I guess I could have had a different policy and parent would sign contract or not.
I personally am not someone who normally gets ill very often it but then I've only just started looking after children which opens up a whole new world of ailments!
I rarely took a day off sick in my old job and never had a day off sick at school!

Me too!! It's so frustrating!! My own children have only had the odd day off school, and most of them have been now I'm a cm and loose money. This is, of course nothing compared with what Mushypea is going through :( but still, it's a wake up call to save where possible for the "rainy day" fund...or, as you say, change policy...not sure I could do that though!

McKenzie
15-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Think this must be all over the country at the moment! We've just had it for the 2nd time this month :( Mindee had had it but was off 48hrs but we'd had her before she got it too. the whole family have come down with it one after the other the same weekend our inlaws come over on rare trip from France :( Hope all are better soon , it's a nasty one! x

Bob
15-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Can I join your club? I had to send a lo home this morning after she was sick all over the breakfast table (two of our lo's have breakfast here in the mornings) Mum came back from work very quickly thank goodness.