PDA

View Full Version : Would you take on another?

JCrakers
13-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Hi,

I'm absolutely terrible at making decisions and I'm in two minds what to do. I went through 2yrs of hardly having any mindees and now I'm swamped with children. :laughing:
I've had an email for every am and pm starting from September. A 4/5yrs girl who is starting school and it will fit in really well except for Tuesday after school :(
I'm used to having a big amount of children and know them all really well but I cant decide whether 1 more is just too many. Does anyone else have a large number of children after school? I know its manageable but I'm rather conscious of peoples reactions on the school walk, thinking that I've just got too many to handle :blush:

On Tuesdays between 3-5/6pm at the moment I have 9m&15m in buggy, 4yr old walking. Picking up 6 children (6yrs,7yrs,9yrs,9yrs,9yrs,10yrs)
So by September when the enquiry will start the children will all be a little older - 14m&20m in buggy. Picking up 8 children as my 4yr old mindee will start school also. (2x4/5yr olds,7yrs,8yrs,9yrs,9yrs,10yrs,10yrs)

Mondays I will have 9
Wednesdays will be 8
Thurs will be 7
Fri will just be 1 or 2

I can manage 9 and know I can manage 10 but it just sounds too many...What do you think?

christine e
13-04-2013, 03:26 PM
I have had 10 in the past but nowadays like to keep it to 6 so that I can use car. If you are happy with that number then go for it.

Cx

hectors house
13-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I really admire you for managing to look after that number of children - I had 6 on Wednesday and I know I couldn't do it on a daily basis. I suppose until you look after the new child you won't know whether she will walk nicely with the buggy - I used to have one on a school run (I don't do school runs now) who used to run off all the time and want to walk in front with her friends, it was really hard to persuade her and the parent that what works for them on a one-to-one basis doesn't always work for a childminder with lots of children.

CLL
13-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Omg! I have 2 at the moment. I don't know if I could ever have 10. Maybe it is something I could build up to. If you can manage it then go for it.

loocyloo
13-04-2013, 04:07 PM
i've currently got 3 or 4 after school, plus my own 2 schoolies. and have been asked to have another girl ( year 5 ) before school every day and 2 afternoons after school ( actually, mum would like every day, but i can only offer 2! ) but i don't know. all my schoolies get on well at the moment, and i'm just not sure this girl will fit in. so think i might say i can do before school, but not after.

on the other hand, i have been asked to have a yr 1 a couple of afterschools and i can do it number wise, and i just know that this child will fit in!

so i totally understand your dilema, but sorry, can't help you! good luck xxx

lorettacritchet
13-04-2013, 08:29 PM
I say take what you can get when you can get it so long as you're within your space/numbers allowed :)

jackie 7
13-04-2013, 08:46 PM
I just have under schoolirs. I got do fed up with older children when I was a nanny that I can't cope with them. I know in time I may change from little ones to older. Good luck.

scottishlass
13-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I am in Scotland and we can usually only have 6 children in total with 3 being allowed under 5 and the rest schoolies - I have my own 2 school children so can only have 1 schoolie and I only have them once a week as find my own two get on better with the wee ones than the older ones x can't imagine me ever managing 9 or 10 kids lol - I would be a total stress head but if I can manage go for it! X

mr man
13-04-2013, 09:08 PM
I have 10. I have 3 in day and then pickup 7 from school.

I have built up to this, and become familiar with the children, I accepted more. I have a set of twins starting too as my dh will be my assistant. They are doing 1 day a week for 2 months to we how thins are and then 3 days when mum returns to work in July.

If your comfortable with it , and it works then go for it. Building upto it is best though. Xx good luck

wendy latimer
14-04-2013, 12:42 AM
I have been childminding for 15 years now and if you are within your numbers and you have the space for another one go for it.you never no what's round the corner.I am very buisy before school but not after,as we have an after school club,but that's the parent's choice.some of my children come to me before school and go to the after school club,some childminders don't agree with this around my area they think that they are using you,but as long as the children are happy that's the main thing.In this job you can be full one minute and not the next.

mum24
14-04-2013, 07:41 AM
If you are confidant you can manage, then go for it.
I used to have a crowd after school, and it was so much easier as they played really well together, we had great fun. I don't have so many now some days only two, and it seems much harder sometimes as they vye for attention all the time.
You can't really go by what other people will think, as long as your parents are happy, and they obviously are, or they wouldn't come to you, then I would go ahead.
Being noticed is unavoidable, but there will be many people looking and thinking what a great job you are doing.

Daisy De
14-04-2013, 07:46 AM
OMG am I the only one thinking of the money you must be earning !! :thumbsup:

bunyip
14-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Just to recap the relevant points.

IIUC, you feel this is well within your abilities. It's also within what you are allowed in terms of regulations and planning permission (not stated, so I'm just going to assume you'd've mentioned if this was not so.)

The problem is one of making the decision (don't worry - I can't make decisions either unless Mrs Bunyip fills me in on what my opinion should be :D .) The choices are:-

1. Do it, cos it's more business = more £income.
2. Don't do it, cos you're worried what other people might think.

No-one can decide for you, chuck. But does it help to see the choices laid out that way?

If still undecided, maybe flip a coin. (Probably a large one.)
:)

Sweetpea
14-04-2013, 09:16 AM
I try and stay with 6 total so I can still use the car if need be. I agree with previous posts, more are often easier as they play together.

I also look after a neighbours teenage girl for free and she loves to organise games with them - I'm sure sometimes they listen to her better than me!

Sweetpea
14-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Forgot to add, decision making helper:-

1) people will think you can cope if they see you coping.

lilac_dragon
14-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Hi,

I'm absolutely terrible at making decisions and I'm in two minds what to do. I went through 2yrs of hardly having any mindees and now I'm swamped with children. :laughing:
I've had an email for every am and pm starting from September. A 4/5yrs girl who is starting school and it will fit in really well except for Tuesday after school :(
I'm used to having a big amount of children and know them all really well but I cant decide whether 1 more is just too many. Does anyone else have a large number of children after school? I know its manageable but I'm rather conscious of peoples reactions on the school walk, thinking that I've just got too many to handle :blush:

On Tuesdays between 3-5/6pm at the moment I have 9m&15m in buggy, 4yr old walking. Picking up 6 children (6yrs,7yrs,9yrs,9yrs,9yrs,10yrs)
So by September when the enquiry will start the children will all be a little older - 14m&20m in buggy. Picking up 8 children as my 4yr old mindee will start school also. (2x4/5yr olds,7yrs,8yrs,9yrs,9yrs,10yrs,10yrs)

Mondays I will have 9
Wednesdays will be 8
Thurs will be 7
Fri will just be 1 or 2

I can manage 9 and know I can manage 10 but it just sounds too many...What do you think?

Been there and done that lots of times, rural community with not many other childminders means I'm usually busy.
It works if you know that the children you have can cope and work well together, and that you can cope with busy roads etc . If you don't know the child you'll have to keep your fingers crossed that she integrates well when she comes.

FussyElmo
14-04-2013, 09:30 AM
I suppose it depends on the children you have. If they are reliable and trustworthy then one more wont make a difference. However if you have one who is a little spirited (insert your own word here) it could be more tricky.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-04-2013, 09:33 AM
It doesn't matter how many you have, people will judge. If you feel that you can handle this many then go for it. They will mostly be older children and as long as they know your rules and are well behaved you will be fine.

littlemiss60561
14-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Bonkers springs to mind! But then I'd say that without the extra one!
no, seriously, if you can manage them all go for it. People look at me funny some times with just 3 littlies and 4 afterschool .

JCrakers
14-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all your comments and help. Its nice to see views from either side :D

It is easy once you build up to it, for instance 4 of the older children have been with me since I started 5.5yrs ago. Two others have been here for 14m and My 4yr old mindee has been with me since she was 8m and is sister to two of the older ones. They are all very well behaved as I run a tight ship. I have to, otherwise I wouldn't do it. :D
I've been working with children for 19yrs and its all I've done since leaving college in 1994 so I know children like the back of my hand.

The new mindee sounds perfect as she will start school the same time as my 4yr old mindee so a good friendship could be built there. :thumbsup:

I know how easy it is for things to change as 2-3yrs ago I had 1 under 5 and 4 schoolies. 1 under 5 was very boring for me as I like 'busy and hectic' :D
I would rather have a house full rather than just a couple.

I just need to think about it a little more before making a decision :D

JCrakers
14-04-2013, 12:46 PM
OMG am I the only one thinking of the money you must be earning !! :thumbsup:

I am earning quite a bit at the moment but I'm also working damn hard for it. :thumbsup:
I have 3 little ones everyday and 4 little ones 3 days a week with a variation. I've kept my rates the same at £3.50 for 4.5yrs (I started on £3 and raised them after 1.5yrs to keep up with other minders in the area)
But on the other hand I know how unpredictable this job can be as 3yrs ago I was working a 10hr day for about £50. (1 full timer and 3 schoolies) so at the moment I'm enjoying being busy, enjoying the extra money, and having a nice holiday in the summer. I'm also able to buy extra toys which will last, outdoor things in particular and have put extra into stocking the playroom :D
I'm now offering FEEE which is helping me to keep children, especially when parents know I probably do more with the children than a preschool does in regards to EYFS, crafts, trips out and because I'm busy the children are getting the social side of things too :thumbsup:

Ive worked so hard to get a good reputation and now its paying off with people recommending me, stopping me in the street and asking me at toddler groups. :D but who knows what's round the corner. A lot of my children are siblings so all it takes is one or two families to stop coming and I'll be down 3-5 children.

Daisy De
14-04-2013, 12:58 PM
I am earning quite a bit at the moment but I'm also working damn hard for it. :thumbsup:
I have 3 little ones everyday and 4 little ones 3 days a week with a variation. I've kept my rates the same at £3.50 for 4.5yrs (I started on £3 and raised them after 1.5yrs to keep up with other minders in the area)
But on the other hand I know how unpredictable this job can be as 3yrs ago I was working a 10hr day for about £50. (1 full timer and 3 schoolies) so at the moment I'm enjoying being busy, enjoying the extra money, and having a nice holiday in the summer. I'm also able to buy extra toys which will last, outdoor things in particular and have put extra into stocking the playroom :D
I'm now offering FEEE which is helping me to keep children, especially when parents know I probably do more with the children than a preschool does in regards to EYFS, crafts, trips out and because I'm busy the children are getting the social side of things too :thumbsup:

Ive worked so hard to get a good reputation and now its paying off with people recommending me, stopping me in the street and asking me at toddler groups. :D but who knows what's round the corner. A lot of my children are siblings so all it takes is one or two families to stop coming and I'll be down 3-5 children.

Not knocking you at all, just an observation. This job is most definitely unpredictable and always best to "make hay when the sun shines" :thumbsup: I must just be getting too old or been doing this too long as I know I wouldn't want or could cope with 10, hats off to you.:)

Mrs Scrubbit
14-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Many years ago I must had looked like the Pied Piper but I've now opted for a quieter pace of life now........all I will say is if you can then do! xx