PDA

View Full Version : Summer holidays

Clever Clogs
02-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Hi again

I don't think the summer holidays have begun yet in England - up here in not so sunny scotland they have though and already having problems keeping kids amused. Anyone any ideas? Think the problem is each kid wants to do something different. For instance yesterday I had a 6 year old and a twelve year old, my own 6 year old and my own 1 year old. 12 year old wanted to stay at home, 6 year old wanted to go to the swing park and my dd wanted to go to the farm - by the time we decided it was well into the afternoon. Would love to hear how others overcome this (or maybe I'm being too soft and should just decide and do it?) and any other activity ideas to make the hols a bit more fun filled.

Thanks Tracey

miffy
02-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Why not take all their ideas and do one of them each day (or week if that's too expensive) - then all are having their choice but you're not trying to cram everything into one day

miffy xx

sarah707
02-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Get them to write down 2 or 3 ideas each and spread them through the holiday ... make sure there's no more than 1 expensive outing in each week, the rest should be cheap or free and may or may not include a picnic.

Explain that everyone must get their choice and they must go along and be nice even if they don't want to be ... in return for which they get their own choice ... :D

angeldelight
02-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah I would do what Miffy suggested

Having different ages groups you are never going to be able to please everyone at the same time but they all need to respect each others ideasT

Try and get the older ones helping with some of the younger ones

Maybe the older one could have a cinema after noon and watch a film and you do something with the younger ones

Good luck enjoy the holidays

Angel xx

Clever Clogs
02-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your ideas. Actually got my dd and a 5 year old to help me write a list today - only trouble was it was things like:-

swimming (and take the all ??? think not)
Isle of Wight ?? (don't ask my why)
Dynamic EArth (which costs a fortune to get in)
Zoo (again very pricey)

So back to the drawing board to get some cheap and cheerful ideas.

Thanks
Tracey

miss mopple
02-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I did a cinema afternoon for my lot and they loved it :D

It kept them amused all day as they designed tickets, signs etc, allocated jobs for the big kids, made snacks for the interval (using the dining room hatch as the serving window :laughing: ) and generally hyped themseves up about it. They all had a fab time, even the tiny ones.

I get all the kids to give me ideas of things they would like to do and we try to plan the holidays together. their favourite things to do are free (result!) and include

tromping through the forest ( we often take den building equipment which always goes down well)

playing in the fountains at a local park

museums

putting on shows (magic/plays- anything goes)

flying kites

hope you manage to get them all to agree on some stuff!

emler
03-07-2008, 07:20 AM
I got the kids to sit down and make a list of things they would really like to do over the holidays. They came up with things like: have our own fashion show, hold a sports day, make a map of our village etc.
Hope you can get the kids to agree on some activities!